No announcement yet.

Audi Pardners! The 2018 MLS Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1-0 down in 90 seconds. So this is starting well.

Comment

I'd forgotten about the fact that Betfair have free streams of the odd football match. They have this one, as it turns out.

Comment

That was a well twatted penalty for 2-0.

Comment

Oh, and they've got Chicago v LA Galaxy too. How handy.

Comment

As Crazy Clown Airlines would say, 'conditions are a little windy.'

Comment

NYCFC stadium news. Goes right over where the 6 enters the Bronx.

https://newyorkyimby.com/2018/04/exc...a-project.html

Cincinnati appears to have gotten governmental approval for the stadium site they want in the West End, and there is a report that MLS ownership is meeting today on whether to formally give them an expansion team. If they get it, FC Cincinnati ownership has already promised a rebrand: to Fussball Club Cincinnati. Really.
              Last edited by jefe; 17-04-2018, 22:19.

Comment

Well if the drubbing tonight at SKC hasn't lost Carl Robinson his job, then a similar performance next week at home to RSL surely must. That was rock bottom.

Comment

Today's line-up for TFC:

Irwin -

The Guy From the Pub - The 17 year-Old - The 35 yr old we re-signed specifically for this game - Who?

The Nice Guy Who Nevertheless Reminds Everyone of an Extra in a Nazi movie - The 18 yr old - The Vastly-Overrated Basque kid - Chapman

Ricketts - the Make-weight Canadian

Would still probably take this over some of Preki's teams. It's not that I mind starting the season 1-5, you understand. But damn this is all going to suck if we can't pull off a heist on Wednesday.

Comment

Fuck.

Comment

I had forgotten what a head-scratcher of a name Estadio Akron is.

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
                          At first I thought that was some cringe Real Salt Lake-type effort, rather than the home of the Goats.

Originally posted by jefe View Post
                          NYCFC stadium news. Goes right over where the 6 enters the Bronx.

https://newyorkyimby.com/2018/04/exc...a-project.html

Cincinnati appears to have gotten governmental approval for the stadium site they want in the West End, and there is a report that MLS ownership is meeting today on whether to formally give them an expansion team. If they get it, FC Cincinnati ownership has already promised a rebrand: to Fussball Club Cincinnati. Really.

And to contradict myself, that's actually not a bad name. There are a metric fuckload of Germans in Cincinnati. They'll need to change the kit though.

Comment

Someone told me WaPo is claiming Rooney to DC United and so I sprinted over here to get jefe's take and since it;s not here I am worried about him.

Comment

”Serious Talks”

I guess that they will need stewards at the new ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Flynnie View Post
                                At first I thought that was some cringe Real Salt Lake-type effort, rather than the home of the Goats.

And to contradict myself, that's actually not a bad name. There are a metric fuckload of Germans in Cincinnati. They'll need to change the kit though.

Indeed. Cincinnati isn't as German as Wisconsin, or as German as it used to be, but about 20% of its residents claim German heritage, and German stuff - Oktoberfest, breweries, schnitzel, etc. - is played-up in somewhat the same way as Irish stuff is played-up in Boston, though a lot of surnames, street names, etc, were changed during the wars.

Famously, the Reds were kicked out of the National League for a while during the late 19th century because they insisted on serving beer at games on Sundays.

But why would they have to change the kits? Too Dutch?
                                I don't know how they came up with orange and blue. I can't think of any particular historical connections. The flag of Cincinnati is red white and blue (Indeed, it would be cool if they could incorporate this design into their kits.) Perhaps they chose it because it "pops" and doesn't match any of the other pro or major college teams in the region, so it would feel both unique and not put-off. (Like if it were red and black, UC fans would like it, but Xavier fans wouldn't, etc).

I'm led to believe Fußballclub is a cromulent term in German, though Fußballverein is more common, right?

Comment

It should be Uber den Rhein Fussballclub

Comment

Though personally I would prefer Porkopolis FC or Cincinnati Porkopolis

Comment

Goff is the only one saying that so far. But it's assumed that DCU's front office runs things through him when they want to make it look like they're doing something.

The reserves next year in NoVa are going to be called, in a shocking development, Loudon United.

Remember the Sounders-Timbers red card fest in the USOC a couple years ago when Clint Dempsey ripped up the ref's book and got suspended for forever in the cup? The ref for that game is the 4th official for Sounders-Timbers in the league this weekend.

USOC round 1 starts this midweek, after the quickie preliminary round intended to help out the NASL surviving clubs resulted in 2 of them getting bounced, including the Cosmos.

Altidore out for 4-6 weeks for foot surgery to remove bone fragments.

Peter Vermes signs for the foreseeable future in KC.

The Canadian Premier League starting next year is up to 6 announced teams: Calgary, Halifax, Hamilton, Winnipeg, York Ontario, and Vancouverish.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                        Though personally I would prefer Porkopolis FC or Cincinnati Porkopolis
                                        According to google, there's a small chain (two locations in Arizona, one in Indianapolis) of barbecue places with that name, so there could be a legal issue.

Comment

Originally posted by jefe View Post
                                          Goff is the only one saying that so far. But it's assumed that DCU's front office runs things through him when they want to make it look like they're doing something.

The reserves next year in NoVa are going to be called, in a shocking development, Loudon United.

Remember the Sounders-Timbers red card fest in the USOC a couple years ago when Clint Dempsey ripped up the ref's book and got suspended for forever in the cup? The ref for that game is the 4th official for Sounders-Timbers in the league this weekend.

USOC round 1 starts this midweek, after the quickie preliminary round intended to help out the NASL surviving clubs resulted in 2 of them getting bounced, including the Cosmos.

Altidore out for 4-6 weeks for foot surgery to remove bone fragments.

Peter Vermes signs for the foreseeable future in KC.

The Canadian Premier League starting next year is up to 6 announced teams: Calgary, Halifax, Hamilton, Winnipeg, York Ontario, and Vancouverish.
                                          What level will the CPL be relative to MLS and USL?

Comment

Hard to say. At best maybe Whitecaps2 standard, at worst a few notches lower. At the moment the Caps are not that popular among many diehard soccer fans in Vancouver. If the new team starts well some may desert MLS, if only temporarily.

Comment

But they are playing in the Fraser Valley (or at least want to).

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                                Hard to say. At best maybe Whitecaps2 standard, at worst a few notches lower. At the moment the Caps are not that popular among many diehard soccer fans in Vancouver. If the new team starts well some may desert MLS, if only temporarily.
                                                Oh, so it isn't officially designated by Soccer Canada as D3 or D2 or whatever?

Comment

It will likely be designated as D2, and the clubs will definitely be eligible for the Voyageurs Cup.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                                    But they are playing in the Fraser Valley (or at least want to).
                                                    If they pitch up somewhere like Langley or Abbotsford, it'd be more convenient for a lot of people than traipsing into Vancouver.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X