No announcement yet.

Audi Pardners! The 2018 MLS Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electing an asshole as President has consequences.
    He won't be president in 2026 and Canada and Mexico are part of the deal.
    We've already got the stadiums. Morocco will probably get fleeced. According to Wiki, they're planning to build EIGHT new stadiums for it.

The United bid is kind of a joke anyway, travel between the venues is going to be brutal.
    Why should that be a factor? It wasn't in 94, and Russia and Brazil are big too. In 2026, it will have 48 teams, so it needs to be a lot of stadiums.

They could just keep each group at the same stadium.

Also...
    "According to Human Rights Watch annual report 2016, Moroccan authorities restricted the rights to peaceful expression, association and assembly through several laws. The authorities continue to prosecute both printed and online media which criticizes the government and/or the king. There are also persistent allegations of violence against both Sahrawi pro-independence and pro-Polisario demonstrators in Western Sahara; a disputed territory which is occupied by and considered by Morocco as part of its Southern Provinces. Morocco has been accused of detaining Sahrawi pro-independence activists as prisoners of conscience.
    Homosexual acts are illegal in Morocco, and can be punishable by 6 months to 3 years of imprisonment. It is illegal to proselytise for any religion other than Islam (article 220 of the Moroccan Penal Code), and that crime is punishable by a maximum of 15 years of imprisonment."
    Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 28-02-2018, 12:03.

Comment

Yeah but has King Mohammed VI referred to a bunch of other FIFA members as "shithole countries"?

Comment

Indeed

This kind of thing is happening in all sorts of contexts, as it provides an essentially cost-free way for countries to express their disgust at an administration that becomes more disgusting every day.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
          Yeah but has King Mohammed VI referred to a bunch of other FIFA members as "shithole countries"?
          Who knows? Nobody could print it if he did.

Comment

USL expands to El Paso for 2019, and in the course of the press conference confirmed Albuquerque's in as well.

Ezequiel Barco strained his quad, out 4-6 weeks.

FAO Imp especially, and everyone else interested in supporters groups with or v their clubs: for an example of how to REALLY NOT do things, read through the Barra Brava's twitter feed.

Random weird preseason friendly: Phoenix Rising v LDU Quito tonight. In Quito.

Vancouver sends Tony Tchani to Chicago for $150K of allocation money.

According to a Bola in Portugal, Benfica's offered DCU $1M for their homegrown Chris Durkin who hasn't played in the league yet. On loan to Richmond all last year when not with the U-17's.

Philly loans in the #10 they've been desperately searching for, a Czech MF from somewhere in China as a DP. And trade an international slot to NYCFC for $175K of allocation money.

TFC re-signs Justin Morrow.

Seattle is going to stream all their local TV games through Youtube.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
              Indeed

This kind of thing is happening in all sorts of contexts, as it provides an essentially cost-free way for countries to express their disgust at an administration that becomes more disgusting every day.
              Bringing the world and the worlds game to the US would actually be an antiTrump move, I think. Though I can see how it doesn’t look like that to the outside.

On the other hand, I don’t think the blazers making these decisions give a shit about any of that.

Comment

The 'Caps have signed Jordon Mutch from Crystal Palace on a year's loan. He was a gigantic hole in midfield at QPR, and doesn't appear to have been much better at Palace. I suppose we'll have to give him a shot, saddest part is the signing probably nukes the discussions about Scott Arfield

Comment

You also sent Tim Parker to the Red Bulls for Felipe and a bunch of allocation money and a international slot.

San Jose canned Simon Dawkins two weeks ago, and Minnesota promptly signed him. 9 days later, they've waived him.

DCU trades 100K of allocation money and an international slot next year to Portland for an international slot this year. For this 3rd time this offseason.

And because of the noreaster wrecking plane travel up and down the coast with its winds, DCU had its flight to Orlando cancelled and have to fly in day of game. Again. For the 3rd time in 2 years.

Charlie Davies has officially retired.

Comment

Rumour has it Parker was asking for 500k per year. An "I want out" offer if ever there was one.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                      Rumour has it Parker was asking for 500k per year. An "I want out" offer if ever there was one.
                      He wanted $600,000 a year for 3 years; you offered about $425,000, he said trade me.

You're also supposed to be targeting 2019 to get an NWSL team to play at BC Place, if you think you can get at least 7,000 people per game to show up.

RSL waived problem child Yura Movsisyan.

The owner of the more or less dormant cause we got no league Jacksonville Armada is seriously looking into how to set up his own league completely independent of FIFA/USSF/etc.
                      Last edited by jefe; 03-03-2018, 07:03.

Comment

While hoping the United States wins the World Cup again during my lifetime, Morocco has been too close for too long. They're like Panama or Iceland, always coming close and just missing it.

North Africa will become a major solar provider in the next battle to save Planet Earth, so we can at least encourage that.

Also, they're our Oldest Ally, so fair play to them. And Fuck the Barbary Pirates.

Comment

MLS kicks off its new season today, with two shockers for a start -- first, the possibly-being-moved Crew stuff the defending champions in Toronto, then pre-season favorites Atlanta get absolutely smashed by a Dynamo side who simply couldn't believe the amount of space Tata Martino's men gave them. Philly has a 1-0 lead on a shaky-looking Revs side.

And as I type, DCU scores in Orlando on a free kick that I'm not sure touched anybody before bouncing into the net, then fuck up a great chance on a breakaway before Orlando give it away again only for the shot to roll wide.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                            The population of Morocco is seven and a half times that of the republic of Ireland. Their economy is one third of the size of the republic of Ireland. How the fucking fuck are they going to host a world cup?

Comment

By relying largely on existing infrastructure (and infrastructure already planned to be in place by the time of the tournament).

Comment

Ah, I see.Through Thrift and careful advance planning. I look forward to many of the other countries in the world with a gdp per capita of less than $3000 being able to host the expanded world cup in the near future.

Comment

Well, they already have a functional rail network that connects all of the major population centres, which is rather more than Ireland has.

Comment

you mean something like this?

Comment

No, I mean something that works better than that.

Comment

What do you want? there are eight trains a day from tralee to Dublin. Do you have any idea how excessive that is. You're looking at one of the oldest and most comprehensive railway systems in the world. Literally every single town with more than 3,000 people in tipperary has a train station. (except cashel) The whole bloody thing is concrete sleepers and welded rails, The existence of a comprehensive, regular train system is not in doubt. It's just a bit expensive, and because all of the main population centres are all linked by motorway, Buses are just as quick and a third of the price.

Anyway I wasn't suggesting that we host the world cup. We can't afford it, we probably couldn't afford to host the Rugby world cup, and you can fit that in your pocket. and if we can't afford it, morrocco sure as fuck can't afford to host a 48 team world cup, and be ripped off by fifa. Morrocco is half as rich as South Africa. They couldn't afford it either.
                                        Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 04-03-2018, 03:46.

Comment

Fire Dave Kasper.
                                          Fire Ben Olson
                                          Fire Chad Ashton.

NOW.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                            By relying largely on existing infrastructure (and infrastructure already planned to be in place by the time of the tournament).
                                            From what I could tell, they’re planning eight new stadiums. I have a hard time believing Morocco really needs or can afford that, because nobody does.

It also appears that they’re deciding on a host before officially deciding to expand it to 48 teams. Is that right?

Sepp Blatter is in favor of Morocco which is more than enough reason to not support the idea.

Comment

Morocco may be seven or eight stadia short of the technical requirement but it at least isn't a joint bid from somewhere where one country's President is building a border wall to prevent travel to the other...

Comment

I have to say that as doubtful as I am about the Moroccan bid and its value to the people of Morocco, the idea of having a tournament that takes place over the entirety of North America is about as stupid as the next European championships taking place over the whole continent. Possibly even more stupid as it's significantly bigger

Comment

I don't know if it still applies but it was rumoured at one point that it would be primarily a "West Coast" World Cup.
                                                  Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 04-03-2018, 15:31.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                                                    Morocco may be seven or eight stadia short of the technical requirement but it at least isn't a joint bid from somewhere where one country's President is building a border wall to prevent travel to the other...
                                                    That’s not going to actually happen, you know.

And Morocco’s government is doing a bunch of other terrible things. It’s not a competition.
                                                    Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 04-03-2018, 16:15.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X