Audi Pardners! The 2018 MLS Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
    I wonder what the plan is. Do they want to try to build a baseball stadium at Al Lang if the Tampa thing fails? That was the site they were looking at in the past and it would be better than where the Trop is. Do they want to build a soccer field along with a new stadium in Tampa and bring the Rowdies to MLS?

Either way, it’s good for the Rowdies in the short run. They’ve been crap lately and the organization is a bit unstable. The Rays are, contrary to popular perception, a well-run organization that’s good at squeezing value out of not much.

I don’t know if there’s much chance of the Rowdies ever getting into MLS, but the Rowdies are fairly well-supported. St Pete is a good place for a second tier soccer team, but maybe they, like the Rays, need to be in Tampa to draw MLS-sized crowds.
    It seems to be adding a moneymaking asset to the organization. The Rays seem to be all in on their preferred site in Tampa which is close to all the major highways to make access easier.

Comment

Yeah. But they’re still short of the political backing they need. But that’s increasingly likely to be true anywhere they try to go, inside or outside of Florida.

Comment

Rays/Rowdies management stated that they are fine with being in USL and have no desire to move up to MLS.

El Paso's D3 team has named itself: El Paso Locomotive FC. The train station is across the street and the tracks to it run under a side of the stadium.

Comment

Johnny Russell scores a cracking mini-Maradona goal which would have made an all-time Scottish highlights show, if it hadn't been in Kansas City. Even the rain was Glaswegian. A very entertaining second half, really.

Meanwhile, Zlatan gesticulated a lot.

Comment

Philadelphia have 50 pts with two matches left, their best season yet.

Wayne Rooney appears to be doing what DC United hoped he would.

Comment

This is how bad Colorado have been. Do an aggregate table of 2017-18 and LAFC trail them by 4 points.

New Quakes coach...Matias Almeyda

The once and future Harrisburg City Islanders are going on hiatus next season, and dropping to D3 for 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by jefe View Post
                This is how bad Colorado have been. Do an aggregate table of 2017-18 and LAFC trail them by 4 points.

New Quakes coach...Matias Almeyda

The once and future Harrisburg City Islanders are going on hiatus next season, and dropping to D3 for 2020.
                That’s a bummer, but I suppose it shows that USL has passed them by. Harrisburg is a AA city in baseball so I guess it makes sense that they’d be in the third division of soccer too.

Comment

USL D3 New Mexico next year is going to be......New Mexico United. With a logo/shield that will take some beating in the utterly uninspiring category.

The family that owns Enterprise rental cars has signed on to the St. Louis MLS bid.

Comment

It’s vaguely - very vaguely - evocative of the state flag.

Comment

Interesting. They're going to play at the Isotopes stadium.

Agree that it is definitely an uninspiring logo. Name isn't much either. How about Unido?

Comment

ABQ Unido would be miles better

Comment

Hopefully their fans will just call them that. Or maybe they could be called the Hungry Homers.

Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 10-10-2018, 04:14.

Comment

Philadelphia have 50 pts with two matches left, their best season yet.

Wayne Rooney appears to be doing what DC United hoped he would.
                            That's because he's still a really good player. Were DC united bottom of their conference when he joined?

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                              That's because he's still a really good player. Were DC united bottom of their conference when he joined?
                              I can't recall exactly where they were, but they were much closer to the bottom than they are now, which is two points out from the last playoff spot in the east. According to my quick research, nine of their 11 wins this season have come since Rooney joined and they started playing at Audi Field. They also have a much better home record than away, and most of their games in the first half of the season pre-Rooney were away because Audi Field wasn't ready, so it's hard to know which factor contributed how much. He has nine goals in 15 appearances, which is a good rate, I believe.

And they've been filling Audi Field, as far as I can tell, though it's pretty small. Just 20k. Atlanta is getting like 50k.

It does raise this question:
                              https://deadspin.com/is-mls-a-ponzi-scheme-1797509617
                              Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 10-10-2018, 18:10.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                I think so. Part of this is as Reed mentioned-the schedule this year was horribly imbalanced due to construction on the new stadium. They had 2 "home" games in the entire first half of the season, one played in Annapolis at Navy's football stadium, one in the suburbs at the stadium where they usually play their Cup matches. Everything else was on the road, and they did not help themselves by repeatedly blowing leads during that stretch. Now they're slogging through both a backlog of home games and overall games-they're chasing Montreal for the last playoff spot, and still have 2 in hand on them. Rooney showing up, plus the new stadium, has finally woken everyone the hell up.

@Cal-NMU have plans for their own stadium, three separate site options. I read the whole prospectus one night out of boredom. One a little SW of the junction of 25 and 40, one I forget, and one on that large emptyish land just down the hill from the Embassy Suites. They are also of the opinion in said prospectus that they'll be able to get 2 US rugby internationals per year there.

Comment

The Cleveland Browns owners and a local rich guy are set to buy and keep the Crew in Columbus. Precourt gets to keep his "franchise" and set it up in Austin.

New England is going to drop $35M on a training center.

Joey Saputo says he's losing $9M American a year, with the 7th highest payroll and being 18th in season tickets. According to him, if they sell out they make $500K. Every Atlanta home game, they make $2M.

Comment

Is there strong evidence the voters of Austin want it?

Comment

Is there strong evidence the voters of Austin want it?
                                      Austin at the moment seems to be a giant meh about it. But that also depends on the latest poll.

USA v Italy in November was finally announced to be played in...Genk. In Belgium. WTF?

Canada currently murdering Dominica in Montreal, 6 years to the day after the 8-1 in Honduras.

The MLS and LigaMX to Libertadores talk is back again.

Supposedly Dortmund is interested in Miguel Almiron.

The Eastern Conference is going to be fun. Assume DCU wins out v TFC, V NYCFC, and @CHI, and Philly loses to the Red Bulls this weekend and wins their final game v NYCFC (I think). This leaves, depending on whether Columbus wins out or not, PHI, NYCFC, and DCU all tied on 53 points for either 3rd or 4th in the conference. Columbus can get to 54, with games v Orlando and Minnesota, again if I remember right.

Comment

Audi Field

6.5/10.

Comment

Your new Las Vegas Lights coach and TD...Eric Wynalda. Because they couldn't get Landon.

Of the last 69 points on offer, Orlando has taken 6. 1-18-3 in their last 22. They hadn't scored since before Labor Day before tonight. And also broke the league record for most goals conceded in a season.

Comment

Just read this article on Atlanta. https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2...medium=twitter I had absolutely no idea that they were getting this level of crowds. 7 gates over 70,000 this season! Average well over 50,000. That's incredible

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                              Just read this article on Atlanta. https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2...medium=twitter I had absolutely no idea that they were getting this level of crowds. 7 gates over 70,000 this season! Average well over 50,000. That's incredible
                                              ad hoc, the joke/reality in Atlanta is that the stadium is the home of Atlanta UNited, and the Falcons just play there. The complete opposite of what was expected.

Tata gone after his contract ends 12/8, to coach Mexico.

US women at Portugal and Scotland in the November international window.

Starting in 2020, MLS teams can sell sleeve ads on jerseys on one side.

DCU v Everton (shock) likely sometime in the summer after the EPL ends.

Comment

Vancouver's next HC is almost certainly Marc dos Santos. Which is badly needed, as the players spent the end of season exit interviews methodically ripping each other, and Kendall Waston flat out said he wants out.

USL League 1 starts next year with 10 teams, one still to be announced between Dallas and Southern California, and I hope for FC Tucson's travel sake it's SoCal. 28 game season, 4 teams make the playoffs.

Chicago Fire have been officially done for 4 days, and had 3 players retire already.

Orlando is going to renovate the old Houston Astros spring training complex in Kissimmee and use it for the Lions and Pride training facility.

If Orange County beats Drogba FC in the USL semis, the winner of Lousiville-RBNY II hosts, since they can't get their own stadium for the championship game.

Luis Robles has a partially torn ACL he's playing through.

Beckham FC has plans for an NWSL team of their own in the future.

PDL Michigan Bucks are leaving their warehouse pitch and moving to Flint.

Seattle hosts leg 2 of their series a week from today rather than on the 11th because of a car show across the street.

Oh, and there's about 8-10 actual violent as hell fascists/skinhead/nationalists in one of NYCFC's supporters groups

Comment

and i'm done with this crappy season

Comment

LAFC lost last night, some karmic justice for their fans throwing trash at Nick Rimando and for large sections of the stadium doing the puto chant. LAFC haven't addressed it yet, and I don't think MLS has either. It was so blatant that there should be some sort of punishment, let's see if the league has the guts to do the right thing.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X