Audi Pardners! The 2018 MLS Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jefe View Post
    David Vaudreuil used to coach them, I think. Him or John Maessner.
    I once had lunch with David Vaudreuil at a bar on Manhattan Beach, though I can't really remember why - something to do with a cooperation agreement with US Soccer Players that came to nothing. Nice bloke. Now he's coaching the Tulsa Roughnecks, whom I didn't realise had been reincarnated.

FC Cincinnati - bloody hell, the imagination at play there. No vote for the Cincinnati Lickings? The Cincinnati Chili?

Comment

As reported upthread, they may want to be known as Fußballclub Cincinnati. That's different, I guess.

I suspect they wanted to avoid clever nicknames for fear of coming off "minor league." Cincinnati has an inferiority complex about stuff like that.

Their crest features a lion with wings (a griffin?) wearing a crown and holding a sword. I don't know where that comes from, except that there used to be a PDL team and an indoor team called the Kings. Of course, Cincinnati used to have a basketball team called the Monarchs (now, after a few moves, known as the Sacremento Kings) and is sometimes called the Queen city.

Comment

The basketball team was the Royals.

One of the owners also has an interest in the Dayton Dutch Lions, and I've always felt their visual identity looked Dutch. Orange just isn't a colour one associates with German football (the most prominent use that comes to mind is as Werder Bremen's frequent accent colour, but it doesn't appear at all in their badge).

I had not realised how German-themed the supporter culture is, however.

FC Cincinnati has six sanctioned supporters groups that represent different areas and cultures of the tri-state region and sit in the north-side supporters area in "The Bailey", a defacto standing section. The "German-themed" Die Innenstadt is based on Cincinnati's "inner city" neighborhoods including Downtown and Over-the-Rhine. Die Innenstadt hosts its match day activities at Mecklenburg Gardens and watches away matches at Rhinehaus OTR. Die Innenstadt kicks off every match with a supporters march from Mecklenburg up University Ave. and march into the south side of Nippert Stadium. The Pride is the oldest supporters group, having been founded before the club was announced in August 2015, and are based at Ladder 19. Smaller groups are based on various common interests: The Den is a supporter's group geared towards families; The Legion is composed mostly of college-age members from the local universities; Lowen Des Sudens is made up of members from Northern Kentucky; the Queen City Firm consists mainly of supporters from Cincinnati's west-side.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
          The basketball team was the Royals.

One of the owners also has an interest in the Dayton Dutch Lions, and I've always felt their visual identity looked Dutch. Orange just isn't a colour one associates with German football (the most prominent use that comes to mind is as Werder Bremen's frequent accent colour, but it doesn't appear at all in their badge).

I had not realised how German-themed the supporter culture is, however.
          Oh that's right, the Royals. They became the Kansas City Monarchs, right?

Comment

Kansas City Kings (then the Kansas City-Omaha Kings).

The Monarchs were the Negro Leagues baseball powerhouse.

Comment

This is almost certainly not what their badge refers to...

Comment

Kansas City Kings (then the Kansas City-Omaha Kings).

The Monarchs were the Negro Leagues baseball powerhouse.
                Oh, right.

Comment

This is interesting. And frustrating.

http://www.espn.com/sports/soccer/st...sing-us-talent

Comment

USOC round 4 starts tonight with 3 games all currently in progress.

Add Valour FC of Winnipeg to the CPL.

Comment

Earnie Stewart finally officially named the GM of the men's national team; USL finally officially announced their Albuquerque expansion team for next year. The amateur UPSL league has added teams in Las Cruces NM and Alaska, of all places.

Round 4 of the USOC finished tonight-Nashville bounced Colorado without conceding a shot on goal; Columbus-Chicago came down to Chicacgo's keeper saving from the Crews in PK's to move on. Lousivlle took out New England yesterday, and the Red Bulls hammered NYCFC 4-0.

It seems if you want to use some of the special allocation money on buying down a player's cap hit, MLS HQ has to approve it. And they've pissed off a few teams by denying their requests.

Assorted European sources say that Jesse Marsch and Patrick Viera are off to new jobs at the mothership and Nice in the summer and very soon, respectively.

Comment

More Audi Field issues.

“The sun points directly into the cameras,” said one source, who went on to suggest that it will be difficult to broadcast evening games for most of the summer due to the position of the sun. In views of the stadium currently available via the club’s own live construction cameras, the east grandstand, where the commentary booth and main camera sit, appears completely drenched in sunshine, at least as late as 7 p.m., when the construction feed cuts off.

Comment

At least we're leading Toronto.

NWSL gets 6 games on ESPNews starting this weekend, I think.

Next round of the USOC is spread out over the WC group stage, starting Friday with Portland-LAG.

Comment

Jason Kreis, out.

Comment

They can switch sides.

The club needs new ownership and, it appears, will have that soon, but I don’t know if that will improve things in the short run. They need somebody who cares, which usually means somebody local like Ted Leonsis, not somebody who thinks sports are a way to make a lot of money.

The Nats were in a similar situation - little investment, general apathy, bad management - when their stadium opened up and have managed to turn it around for the most part.

Rooney isn’t the answer, though.

Comment

@imp: Vaudreuil already got fired by Tulsa

I suppose it's time to care again. Audi Field opens in under 72 hours. Tickets still available. And we shipped Patrick Mullins to Columbus for $150K of TAM.

Jesse Marsch is now an assistant at the RB mothership, replaced by Chris Armas. Jason Kreis got sacked in Orlando and replaced by Louisville FC's coach.

Ager Aketxe already out at TFC, loaned to Getafe. Canada women v Brazil 9/2 in Ottawa.

Chicago's owner sold 49% of the team, and the team officially bought Alexander Katai from Alaves.

Hartford to the USL for 2019.

Fox Sports Arizona is going to start showing Xolos home games.

We have an Omar Salgado sighting-El Paso USL's first signing.

Dallas lent one of their many kids to Bayern Munich.

Minnesota bought an Ecuadorian international MF.
                                Last edited by jefe; 12-07-2018, 00:22.

Comment

I thought Minnesota signed a Colombian. Or is that somebody else?

Comment

DC United 3
                                    Vancouver 1
                                    Audi Field casualties: 1

Not a good look when a giant metal railing comes loose and cracks the sideline reporter in her head.

Comment

It appears like they were rushing to be be ready for this game.

Comment

TFC fans set the stands in Ottawa on fire during their away leg of the Canadian Championship.

Alphonso Davies to Bayern (it seems) for at least $12 M.

Columbus turned down $3.9M from Bristol City for Zach Steffen.

Comment

Kellyn Acosta traded to Colorado for Dom Badji, draft picks, allocation money, and a portion of any transfer fee.

Comment

Jimmy Briand from Guingamp to Montreal, apparently. Paid for in part with the allocation money acquired from Chicago in return for Raheem Edwards.

After falling to what is to all intents and purposes last place in the east (the CONCACAF cup run made us lose 5 of our 7 best players for most of May and June, plus there was general fatigue and fuck-this-idness) Toronto roused itself to win in Chicago yesterday. Jozy's back, Mavinga is back, Vazquez is back..we've left a playoff run awfully late but this is MLS so nothing is impossible (Seattle left it later in 2016, gives us all hope)

Axete was loaned to Cadiz i think, not Getafe. Nico Hasler was sent to the Fire for some kid who will never play for the senior team. Apparently these two moves free up a whack of cap space which is going to be spent on...somebody. We're not sure who. Part of it presumably is going to be used to re-sign Osorio next spring (hopefully). But part of it also we think is going to be spent to get us an actual third striker (Ricketts is apparently on his way out, possibly to Hapoel Tel Aviv).

(edit: apparently some sites saying we are superhot on some 19yr old ecuardorian AMF/F called Washington Corozo. We shall see.)
                                            Last edited by Anton Gramscescu; 23-07-2018, 03:15.

Comment

Alphonso Davies to Bayern confirmed from January 1st. $13 million + $2 million in add ons (an MLS record apparently.) PSG came in with a bid of $15 million, but it was too late.

Comment

I haven't really been paying attention but I don't understand how TFC got so much worse so fast.

Minnesota is on fire lately, thanks to Darwin Jr.

Comment

Cincinnati have their first 2 MLS players-Fanendo Adi and Fatai Alashe, trading assorted amounts of allocation money to Portland and San Jose for them. Also a defender loaned in from SPAL in Italy.

Mark Anthony Kaye broke his ankle and got surgery, out for LAFC for the year.

Chattanooga to USLD3 next year.

Justin Meram back to Columbus for $750K of allocation money and an international slot next year.

Vancouver is going to replace the USL reserve team they shut down with some sort of barnstorming youth academy team.

PDL Championship-Reading United v. Calgary Foothills FC.

Orlando gets next year's All Star Game.

Comment

Possible Beckham Miami logo leaked

and my word, is it glorious

Comment

Working...
                                                    X