No announcement yet.

Audi Pardners! The 2018 MLS Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many of his knees are coming with him?

Comment

2 years, 3 million, not at DP levels of money.

ASG is in Atlanta, against Juventus.

Comment

RBNY's game in the middle of CCL semifinals is being moved to midsummer also.

Comment

How badly will Mexico freak out if it's an all-MLS final?

Comment

NWSL starts this weekend.

We have a Lloyd Sam sighting-he's at AFC Wimbledon.

Freddy Adu signed for Las Vegas.

Zlatan took out a full page ad in the Los Angeles times saying only, Dear Los Angeles, You're Welcome. The Cosmos' old COO Erik Stover tweeted that if they'd gotten their stadium, he would have been the marquee signing chased to open it.

The next famous (ish)m import might be Hatem Ben-Arfa.

Alexander Ring hurt his knee while playing for Finland, out for some time for NYCFC.

Eintracht Frankfurt @ RSL 7/10, @ Philly 7/14

The Cosmos seem to have asked the Canadian Premier League if they could join, and were rejected.

US men have new jerseys out, and the home whites are awful.

Nashville FC already moved their USL home opener tomorrow to the Titans' stadium, and they're at 20,000 tickets sold and counting.

Comment

LAFC are buying Andre Horta, a midfielder from Benfica this summer for 5.6M Euro, with potential add-ons.

Christen Press abandons ship on the Houston Dash and NWSL and signs for Goteborg for the next three months. She didn't want to play anywhere other than Seattle, Portland, or Utah, and Houston never got the deal they wanted for her rights, so adios. Yura Movsisyan also leaves for Sweden, Djurgardens.

The entire 530 page bid book for the 2026 WC is available at fifa.com. Semifinals in Atlanta and Dallas, final at son of Giants Stadium. Opener in either LA or somewhere in Mexico. BMO Field expanded to 45K seats.

Comment

We're at 28K now. I have no idea how we can get to 45K while still groundsharing with the Argos, because the extra pitch length prevents us from having permanent seats in North End (also, we'd probably need to knock down the CNE food hall, which might be a problem since it is the closest thing the city has to a religious hub in the summer).
                Last edited by Anton Gramscescu; 27-03-2018, 09:26.

Comment

1) Toronto FC played an interesting 4-4-2 last night, with van der Wiel as a centre-back, and the two titchy full-backs (Auro & Morgan) occasionally playing as out and out wingers so that on attack it sometimes looked like a good old-fashioned 2-3-5. Marvellous early 20th C stuff. Anyways we won 3-1 so normal service resumed. Aketxe continues to be frustrating as all hell to watch but at least we saw some glimpses of why we bought him - if he gets a sight of goal, his left foot really is a howtizer.

2) Kyle Beckerman looks weird without dreds.

Comment

Zlatan announces himself in LA in his usual understated manner.

https://twitter.com/90thMin/status/980183554926751744

Comment

He then scored an injury time winner (from an offside position)

Not a bad debut for El Trafico (LAFC were up 3-0)

Comment

zLAtan? I feel sick.

El Trafico is a great name.

Comment

Caps won 1–2 in Columbus this afternoon. Never easy to accomplish. Today was textbook bunker 'n' chase. A goal up at half-time Columbus just slowly ran out of gas. One thing Robinson has achieved, his teams are consistently very difficult to beat on the road. This year particularly so I think. After half-time their tiring defence had to face Kei Kamara (who I'm convinced is bionic) a rejuvenated Brek Shea (last year he just ambled around, this year the good drugs have kicked in) and an increasingly mature Alphonso Davies. All three scored — though Davies's was called back for accidental handball. Too bad as it was Goal of the Season calibre. Now if only Robinson can devise a home system to match.

Comment

Minnesota brings in as their first DP Darwin Quintero from Club America (i think) for a shockingly low $200K transfer fee and a $1.5M salary.

Comment

Since we don;t have a separate CONCACAF thread i thought I would post here.

Montagliani made $2M as head of CONCACAF last year.

Comment

Club America are not nearly as good as Tigres. A chaotic 3-1 win, without three of our regulars. The all-MLS final inches closer.

Comment

Originally posted by Anton Gramscescu View Post
                                  Club America are not nearly as good as Tigres. A chaotic 3-1 win, without three of our regulars. The all-MLS final inches closer.
                                  And you get an Uzbek ref crew for the 2nd leg as part of a federation reffing exchange.

According to Grant Wahl, the 2019 Copa America is going to be 16 teams, the 3 prospective CONCACAF WC hosts, and 3 from Asia. And if we go, we're sending the B team while the A team plays Gold Cup again.

David Edgar has turned up at Nashville SC.

Comment

Guadalajara 1 - 0 Red Bulls. Still everything to play for.

Comment

DCU's majority owner wants out, and the minority owner is assembling investors, the main one an LA billionaire, to buy us for $500 million. And want to bring in 2 DPs in the summer window, for the purpose of which they have been in contact with....Mario Balotelli.

There's an article with interviews with the non-MLS owners of NWSL teams at fourfourtwo, and they're expecting 3 expansion teams real soon. Some combination of LAFC/Barcelona, VVancoucer, San Jose, and/or Toronto seem to be likeliest.

Comment

America 1 - 1 Toronto FC . We get the second leg of the final against Guadalajara and Dubai here we come!

Comment

In addition to the summer Eurofriendly fest called the ICC tournament, refreshingly we're getting a women's ICC also. Manchester City, PSG, North Carolina Courage, and TBD.

LA signed Ola Kamara for 3 extra years.

Comment

Correction: we don't get the second leg of the final because CONCACAF rules are unbearably stupid and Guadalajara get the second leg because they ran up the score against chump opposition back in the round of 16.

I really like that Uzbek ref who did our game yesterday. On the strength of that performance I am prepared to turn over all refereeing in the Western hemisphere to Uzbeks.

Comment

So does MLS have rules about deliberately putting out weakened squads? Vanney and co have all but said he's playing our USL squad this Saturday and have threatened to do the same next weekend if the game with Houston is not postponed. I'm as eager as anyone to see us win the CL (and the scheduling, with no break between the semis and the final, is completely ludicrous) but this doesn't seem quite right to me.

Comment

Looking quickly, I don’t see anything in either the “Competition Guidelines” or the “Roster Rules and Regulations” that would expressly prohibit this, assuming that the players in question are on the MLS roster or the legible for same within the rules.

Then again, such rules have always struck me as impossible to enforce, and especially stupid in the North American context of playoffs and “tanking”.

Comment

Italy-USA in November

Utah Royals sold out a slightly temporarily downsized Rio Tinto for their home opener.

DCU has a wishlist of 7 potential DP signings; Chicharito and Carlos Tevez are on it in addition to Balotelli.

Chicago are interested in both Fernando Torres and Werder Bremen's captain.

Dallas signed their 22nd homegrown kid to a senior deal, SKC their first that came all the way through their youth teams to Swope Park Rangers to the first team, now.

Comment

Our starting line-up today is Moor, Hasler and nine other guys who I'm fairly sure did not total more than 15 league starts combined last season. Two teenagers making debuts. And to even get up to eleven players, we're dressing three forwards. This should be interesting.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X