No announcement yet.

'Great' Acts Hated by the Music Press

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agree. I've been impressed with some of his solo stuff, as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Me Old Flower View Post
      Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
      The latter was actually said by Paul Weller, about Leave In Silence: "I've heard more melody coming out of Kenny Wheeler's arsehole," from Melody Maker 21.8.1982. I have no idea who that is, incidentally.
      I have the DM compilation and wondered too. Then I read an article in Uncut which stated that Wheeler is Weller's long-time tour manager.
      Ahh, belated thanks for this, MOF. I need wonder no more!
      And to be (somewhat) fair to Weller, Leave In Silence is one of the least memorable Mode tunes.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
        I Should Coco was a spanker of a debut, IMO - those punchy early singles were all in place, while Lose It (a personal favourite that holds memories) and others also still sound great. In It For the Money - which despite turning up two years later - felt a little rushed to me, but has been lauded by some critics as far more focused. Whatever, it contained some good moments and a few more very strong singles. The eponymous third felt like a big drop-off in impact, while the final trio I'm not sure I've even heard.

Edit: There are some slightly odd half-stories about Danny Goffey getting reprimanded for constantly disappearing from recording the second album to work with his missus (Pearl Lowe out of Powder), as well as Parlophone offering the band extra money (never received, apparently) to come up with a title, as they were taking so long bickering over it.
        I don't think I'd clocked before that Pearl was in bands too. There's a properly incestuous rock'n'roll tangle, isn't there: if I'm remembering right 'their' daughter Daisy Lowe turned out not to be Danny Goffey's but Gavin Rossdale's, who dallied with Pearl away from marriage with Gwen Stefani. And Rossdale also apparently had previous relationships with Peter "Marilyn" Robinson and Courtney Love. (And Courtney has had relationships with Billy Corgan, Kurt Cobain and Steve Coogan, whose brother Martin sang with the Mock Turtles. Now that's Rock Family Trees.)

Anyway, yes I recall Supergrass being highly praised from the get-go, critically and popularly, as it were. I still fondly recall the HMV in-store magazine I picked up around Christmas 1994, featuring the 'best of' that year's albums and including several vox-pops from some of their staff. One picked Supergrass' Caught By The Fuzz among her songs of the year, which could have barely come out then as their debut single – though I believe she nominated Gene's Be My Light Be My Guide as her "all-time favourite indie single of 1994".
        Last edited by Various Artist; 17-01-2018, 16:54.

Comment

CBTF was released in October 1994 - although it just missed the Top 40, it made #5 in John Peel's Festive Fifty. (Alright featured at #13 the following Christmas.)

Another unlikely fan of the debut was Chris Ballew out of Presidents Of The United States Of America, who described it as 'exactly how being a teenager sounds'.

Comment

My school prog friends picked up on the Ayn Rand influences on Rush and avidly read around. “Trees” in particular- I was a teenage anarcho-commie so they used to sing it at me

Comment

Dare I suggest The Levellers? Their greatness is up for debate, but my memory is that in the 90s they were loathed by the music press.

One of the band sending a shit through the post to a music journalist probably didn't help matters.

Comment

Just the one?

Comment

There are loads of US bands whose success didn't transfer to the UK, largely because the UK music press thought they were beneath them. Dave Matthews Band seems the best example, who I'd prefer to listen to than someone like Pearl Jam.

Add to that Hootie and the Blowfish, even Tori Amos to some extent.

Beyond that, Dumpy's Rusty Nuts.

Comment

See also: Goo Goo Dolls, and all those awful post-grungy 'rawk' bands like Staind, Creed, etc.

Then of course there's Nickelback, who deserve a sentence of their own. Preferably in a high-security institution.

Comment

A lot of it was fair game, though. Counting Crows is another one. You just need to look at them to know they're going to be awful:

It took me decades to get into Joni Mitchell because of those c*nts. Their version of Big Yellow Taxi made me hate one of the greatest songwriters of the 20th Century.

Comment

Mind you, it's not hard to draw comparisons with Counting Crows and Elbow. Have they even attempted to crack America?

Comment

Counting Crows assaulted Jimmy Cliff's Synthetic World without any provocation too.

It's hard not to feel a bit sorry for Supergrass. They were presented as cartoons (literally) early on which can't have helped in finding an audience for their later, less jolly stuff.

Comment

Counting Crows is a very good shout indeed. They were yet another of those decidedly dodgy bands marketed as 'authentic'. (See also: Crash Test Dummies, but to a much lesser extent.)

Comment

Working...
                            X