New Music For 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
    Righty Ho! Love it (the second half of that vid isn't them is it?)
    Yeah, that took me a while to work out, but yes. It's one of the later tracks on the album called Two I's Closed. I think it's sung by Jonah Falco.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
      Yeah, that took me a while to work out, but yes. It's one of the later tracks on the album called Two I's Closed. I think it's sung by Jonah Falco.
      (Sounds very much like an Animal Collective song if you ask me.)

That was meant to be an edit...not a reply. But what can one do?

Comment

Wow. Sounds like a totally different band.

Comment

The promo material has a quote "Fucked Up have recorded their Screamadelica", which I suspect tips the hat to this being one of many different styles / genres. That's my guess, anyway. And it's possible they're trying to broaden their commercial appeal a bit.

Comment

Every time I turn on 6 they're playing Get Your Shirt by Iggy Pop/Underworld. Silly, but very well done.

Comment

Aaaaaaaand just got my tickets for Fucked Up at The Horseshoe in October. Woot! Big noise in a small room.

Comment

The lyrics to Mitski’s Nobody seem to me to be, um, rather affecting and juxtaposed with quite the jauntiest of tunes...

Comment

Have had the new Ash album 'Islands' on very heavy rotation this summer. I'm marking it as their best since Free All Angels. Quite giddily have bought a couple of tickets to see them in October.

Last edited by Kevin S; 13-08-2018, 12:01.

Comment

Odd but to my ears very effective mixture of indie, lo-fi synth and minimal wave from Russia -- the band is called яблоня and the track is мысли, here.

Comment

I do enjoy the retro sounds of Leon Bridges. His album, Good Thing, is a delight.

Comment

Le Grand Écart is a cracking bit of super-catchy new wave post-punk (with some surprising loose experimentation at the end) from Montreal's Corridor, here.

Comment

Can anyone find a single reason not to completely love the video and song of 'Someone Out There' by Rae Morris?

Comment

Lovely.

Comment

Belly (the Tanya Donnelly outfit, not the rapper) did a new album this year for the first time in over 20 years. Marc Maron interviews TD on WTF today. Both are recommended.

Comment

Originally posted by multipleman78 View Post
                                I do enjoy the retro sounds of Leon Bridges. His album, Good Thing, is a delight.
                                Yes, he's very much not my thing. But everything Mrs WOM has put on, I've enjoyed.

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
                                  Can anyone find a single reason not to completely love the video and song of 'Someone Out There' by Rae Morris?
                                  It's duller than a John Lewis advert?
                                  I thought I was slipping into a coma listening to it.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                                    It's duller than a John Lewis advert?
                                    I thought I was slipping into a coma listening to it.
                                    "Unfriend and block, but not before making snide comment about how many times you fell into a coma listening to The Cure, so there."

Goddamit, listen to what WOM said - it's bloody lovely, heart-warming in a hateful world etc. I've been singing it for weeks (though admittedly I do fall into comas quite often nowadays, otherwise known as afternoon naps). Tsk.

Comment

It's a good song, but I don't know if I agree with the lyrics' central premise.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                        Wow. Sounds like a totally different band.
                                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iaArL6rYl4

Another new track. Yup...they're taking it in a different direction this time.

Comment

Viz the new Ash material, I just can't. I didn't mind Buzzkill too much on first hearing (the radio edit, not the rather embarrassing sweary version), but Tim Wheeler's in his forties now and his voice is even weaker than it was in the nineties. What they did back then felt relevant to a bunch of teenagers: the problem is that they don't seem to have moved on a great deal.

What I've heard from the Belly album I thought sounded okay.

But, for 'young-ish things doing that guitar stuff', The Hinds - all-girl band from Madrid - I find quite entertaining these days.

Comment

Russia’s finest Motorama have a new album out shortly - this is a belter from 2016.

Comment

Idles have done an amazing job for knocking out their second album in 18 months. It will age *terribly* but is a great, raucous racket.

Comment

Queen of battery-powered synthpop Deerful has a new mini-album, Tell Me I Can Fix This On My Own, from which the enigmatically-title N1C is to me the standout track -- in a bleepy kind of way it's beautiful, powerful and affecting music and it's here.

Comment

Super-catchy new Teleman track ahead of the release of their album this coming week.

Comment

Tess Parks and Anton Newcombe have a second LP out next month. The opening track is called Life after Youth and is on soundcloud.

The vocal, sends shivers in a very good way, especially as I am listening to it through some good headphones!

Excited to listen to the Idles album, but I'm waiting to hear it when I can lgive it some attention, maybe on a car journey next weekend. I have to get to a record shop first to buy of, of course, being an old fart.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X