Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Dhéanfadh mé mo chuile dhícheall chun a bheith ar meisce, go scanreoidh sé an saol mór

New Music For 2018

Because why the fuck not?

Camila Cabello's album has just been released to streaming services today. It's received a good review from Alex Petreidis but I still don't know whether I like or dislike Havana*, the album's lead single.

Hopes this forum refit brings back Bignutz.
    Teams
    Birmingham City; Torquay United; Carlton Town
    Biscuit
    Mint Viscount; Fig Roll
    Havana is exactly the sort of Capital Radio fodder my ten-year-olds like. If Petreidis is giving it a good review it's because he's trying to hard to be cool. It's not for him. It's not for us. It's for my daughters and their friends.

(That said, I am a huge fan of Sigrid).

Dhéanfadh mé mo chuile dhícheall chun a bheith ar meisce, go scanreoidh sé an saol mór
    Quote Originally Posted by Kryvbas Gripper Rih View Post
    Havana is exactly the sort of Capital Radio fodder my ten-year-olds like. If Petreidis is giving it a good review it's because he's trying to hard to be cool. It's not for him. It's not for us. It's for my daughters and their friends.
    I really don't agree. There's unquestionably music that's written for small kids but Havana doesn't sound like it's aimed at them: "He took me back to east Atlanta, But half of my heart is in Havana." It's a conscious attempt at a pop song with strong Latin elements. And Petreidis doesn't strike me as the sort of writer who would go chasing what's cool.

Anyway, I gave the album a listen over the weekend. There is some good stuff in there even if it's essentially the musical equivalent of a trip to the local multiplex, such is its similarity to any other release from the last few years that's been written by half of Stockholm.

Holy moly, a punishingly catchy slice of J-pop in the form of Kana Nishino's Pa.

Big-voiced, catchy synthpop.

All the world is birthday cake
    Teams
    Ajax, BVB
    I found January 2018 a very depressing month. February has started a bit better. What did help is that I finally got around to listening to some music that was released in January. Can we please make a law that requires the following bands to release a new album in every upcoming January? It would help me a lot.

1 - Django Django - Marble Skies
    2 - They Might Be Giants - Push Back The Hands
    3 - The Go! Team - Chico's Radical Decade
    4 - They Might Be Giants - Let's Get This Over With
    5 - Django Django - In Your Beat

Don't worry, it'll soon be over
    Teams
    QPR, Hitchin Town
    Biscuit
    Fig Roll
    Actor
    Klaus Kinski (if he was alive, like)
    I'm all over Babylon Berlin at the moment. Here's the theme Zu Asche, Zu Staub (Psycho Nikoros) by Severija

Teams
    UCLA, Lakers, Dodgers, Galaxy
    Biscuit
    Trader Joe's Maple Leaf cookies
    It doesn't break much new ground, but I am enjoying the new Franz Ferdinand.

The album that I've enjoyed the most so far is This is Glue by the Salad Boys, a New Zealand band that recalls Flying Nun classics. They're on Trouble in Mind records, which might just be my favorite label right now (they also have Dick Diver, whose album from a few years back I still love...come to think of it, they're an Australian band, perhaps I'm just loving Antipodean rock right now)

Teams
    UCLA, Lakers, Dodgers, Galaxy
    Biscuit
    Trader Joe's Maple Leaf cookies
    Also, I gave MGMT's new album a listen today, and it seems like it could grow on me. I really like the single that was previously released.

Started Nils Frahm's new album All Melody last night and the first half is breathtakingly good.

Lapped the world not once but twice - with tread to spare
    Teams
    The patch, the pitch, the Poch...
    Biscuit
    Pepperidge Farm Cinnamon Apple Crunch
    Actor
    Virginia McKenna in drag
    Quote Originally Posted by Incandenza View Post
    Also, I gave MGMT's new album a listen today, and it seems like it could grow on me. I really like the single that was previously released.
    Little Dark Age?

Teams
    Lincoln City
    Biscuit
    Garibaldi
    Heartily recommend The Orielles debut 'Silver Dollar Moment', released on Friday. Saw them support BSP last week and they were excellent. From Halifax, I believe, and touring in April.

Teams
    Oldham & Farnborough
    Quote Originally Posted by RobW View Post
    Heartily recommend The Orielles debut 'Silver Dollar Moment', released on Friday. Saw them support BSP last week and they were excellent. From Halifax, I believe, and touring in April.
    Spotify keeps pushing me to listen to them. Really like the song Sunflower Seeds.

Teams
    Biscuit
    Actor
    Virginia McKenna in drag
    Enjoyed their Let Your Dogtooth Grow, and the current album-cull Blue Suitcase (Disco Wrist) is even better, I'd venture.

It's hard to sustain this kind of whimsical sound (Superorganism, Girl Ray, etc), but Orielles seem to have something extra. I look forward to hearing the album.

Teams
    Biscuit
    Mint Viscount; Fig Roll
    Not heard of John MOuse before, but enjoyed hearing a track (With These Hands I'll Rip Out Your Heart) off his new album Replica Figures on Coe's show. Took to his bandcamp site to listen to the album, and have enjoyed some of it, including an eight-minute song called The Boxer.

I am rubbish at describing music, so will lead you to a review on the Louder Than War website if you are intrigued enough to want to check it out.

Teams
    Biscuit
    Mint Viscount; Fig Roll
    Very much in the Mitski range of female vocals and sound, Sasami has a new song called Callous. Heard it once, instantly goes on 'look out for the album when it comes out' list.

Wide-eyed indie jangle in the shape of Wallflower's I Wish Spring Would Last Forever, here.
    Last edited by Furtho; 06-04-2018 at 12:42.

A bastion of rightness in a wrong old world.
    Teams
    Liverpool
    Biscuit
    Jaffa Cake
    Wow. Wow. Wow.
    Just head on Confidence Man today. Why did none of you fuckers put me onto them before? The Album Confident Music for Confident People is amazing. A real mish mash of stuff. Some tracks sound like someone taught Uffie how to actually write a song, others like Screamadelica era Primal Scream, others like a cross between Miss Kitten and Electric Six. It's fan-bloody-tastic.

Here's Don't You Know I'm In a Band
    Boyfriend
    Better Get Down Boy

They're not even the best ones on the album. C.O.O.L Party and Try Your Luck are even better, I reckon.

Teams
    Biscuit
    Mint Viscount; Fig Roll
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbes View Post
    Wow. Wow. Wow.
    Just head on Confidence Man today. Why did none of you fuckers put me onto them before? The Album Confident Music for Confident People is amazing. A real mish mash of stuff. Some tracks sound like someone taught Uffie how to actually write a song, others like Screamadelica era Primal Scream, others like a cross between Miss Kitten and Electric Six. It's fan-bloody-tastic.

Here's Don't You Know I'm In a Band
    Boyfriend
    Better Get Down Boy

They're not even the best ones on the album. C.O.O.L Party and Try Your Luck are even better, I reckon.
    Oh ye of little faith...https://www.onetouchfootball.com/sho...=1#post1337515 - Jah Womble also gave it a heads-up.

Thanks for pointing out that the album is out - I hadn't realised.

Teams
    Biscuit
    Actor
    Virginia McKenna in drag
    I'm definitely more 'down' with Bubblegum than Boyfriend (and it's Better Sit Down Boy) - but they're a very decent addition to my listening o'er the past year or so.

Anyone called Janet Planet is a-okay by me.

Teams
    The Mighty Imps of Lindum
    Biscuit
    Jaffa Cakes/Biscuits
    Alela Diane's 'Cusp' album is a work of total beauty. I missed her live on Tuesday night to go to two dull-as-fuck referees' meetings, and fear I may regret that decision for the rest of my life.

Teams
    West Ham
    Biscuit
    Chocolate Digestive
    'Nordub' - the new album from Sly and Robbie with Nils Petter Molvaer and Eivind Aarset. Listening to it on headphones as I type. S&R's signature dub-heavy, rock-steady rhythms with the two Norwegians crafting their usual trumpet/guitar/electronic soundscapes over the top. Quite wonderful. Here's a sample....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuwOosr5lU4

A lovely sense of entropy here
    Teams
    Leicester City
    Biscuit
    Samoyed
    Actor
    Katharine Hepburn
    Black Dresses - Wasteisolation

Deep and shaking trans electropunk from Toronto. 'Slither' is my standout track.

Biscuit
    Oatmeal Chocolate Chip
    For Esme. I've just glommed onto these women and am loving what I hear.

Give 'Doubtmouth' a whirl for a great retro buzz, and 'Just Yet' will stick in yer head for sure.

New / next album out May 25.

http://www.foresmemusic.com

I've been listening to Dirty Computer a lot. it's very good and still growing on me.

I'm posting here though because I've just seen

This is America, and it is stunning.