Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Music For 2018

EDIT: Removed
    Last edited by Johnny Velvet; 05-11-2021, 16:04.

Havana is exactly the sort of Capital Radio fodder my ten-year-olds like. If Petreidis is giving it a good review it's because he's trying to hard to be cool. It's not for him. It's not for us. It's for my daughters and their friends.

(That said, I am a huge fan of Sigrid).

Comment

Holy moly, a punishingly catchy slice of J-pop in the form of Kana Nishino's Pa.

Comment

Big-voiced, catchy synthpop.

Comment

I found January 2018 a very depressing month. February has started a bit better. What did help is that I finally got around to listening to some music that was released in January. Can we please make a law that requires the following bands to release a new album in every upcoming January? It would help me a lot.

1 - Django Django - Marble Skies
          2 - They Might Be Giants - Push Back The Hands
          3 - The Go! Team - Chico's Radical Decade
          4 - They Might Be Giants - Let's Get This Over With
          5 - Django Django - In Your Beat

Comment

I'm all over Babylon Berlin at the moment. Here's the theme Zu Asche, Zu Staub (Psycho Nikoros) by Severija

Comment

It doesn't break much new ground, but I am enjoying the new Franz Ferdinand.

The album that I've enjoyed the most so far is This is Glue by the Salad Boys, a New Zealand band that recalls Flying Nun classics. They're on Trouble in Mind records, which might just be my favorite label right now (they also have Dick Diver, whose album from a few years back I still love...come to think of it, they're an Australian band, perhaps I'm just loving Antipodean rock right now)

Comment

Also, I gave MGMT's new album a listen today, and it seems like it could grow on me. I really like the single that was previously released.

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
                  Also, I gave MGMT's new album a listen today, and it seems like it could grow on me. I really like the single that was previously released.
                  Little Dark Age?

Comment

Heartily recommend The Orielles debut 'Silver Dollar Moment', released on Friday. Saw them support BSP last week and they were excellent. From Halifax, I believe, and touring in April.

Comment

Originally posted by RobW View Post
                      Heartily recommend The Orielles debut 'Silver Dollar Moment', released on Friday. Saw them support BSP last week and they were excellent. From Halifax, I believe, and touring in April.
                      Spotify keeps pushing me to listen to them. Really like the song Sunflower Seeds.

Comment

Enjoyed their Let Your Dogtooth Grow, and the current album-cull Blue Suitcase (Disco Wrist) is even better, I'd venture.

It's hard to sustain this kind of whimsical sound (Superorganism, Girl Ray, etc), but Orielles seem to have something extra. I look forward to hearing the album.

Comment

Not heard of John MOuse before, but enjoyed hearing a track (With These Hands I'll Rip Out Your Heart) off his new album Replica Figures on Coe's show. Took to his bandcamp site to listen to the album, and have enjoyed some of it, including an eight-minute song called The Boxer.

I am rubbish at describing music, so will lead you to a review on the Louder Than War website if you are intrigued enough to want to check it out.

Comment

Very much in the Mitski range of female vocals and sound, Sasami has a new song called Callous. Heard it once, instantly goes on 'look out for the album when it comes out' list.

Comment

Wide-eyed indie jangle in the shape of Wallflower's I Wish Spring Would Last Forever, here.
                              Last edited by Furtho; 06-04-2018, 11:42.

Comment

Wow. Wow. Wow.
                                Just head on Confidence Man today. Why did none of you fuckers put me onto them before? The Album Confident Music for Confident People is amazing. A real mish mash of stuff. Some tracks sound like someone taught Uffie how to actually write a song, others like Screamadelica era Primal Scream, others like a cross between Miss Kitten and Electric Six. It's fan-bloody-tastic.

Here's Don't You Know I'm In a Band
                                Boyfriend
                                Better Get Down Boy

They're not even the best ones on the album. C.O.O.L Party and Try Your Luck are even better, I reckon.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                                  Wow. Wow. Wow.
                                  Just head on Confidence Man today. Why did none of you fuckers put me onto them before? The Album Confident Music for Confident People is amazing. A real mish mash of stuff. Some tracks sound like someone taught Uffie how to actually write a song, others like Screamadelica era Primal Scream, others like a cross between Miss Kitten and Electric Six. It's fan-bloody-tastic.

Here's Don't You Know I'm In a Band
                                  Boyfriend
                                  Better Get Down Boy

They're not even the best ones on the album. C.O.O.L Party and Try Your Luck are even better, I reckon.
                                  Oh ye of little faith...https://www.onetouchfootball.com/sho...=1#post1337515 - Jah Womble also gave it a heads-up.

Thanks for pointing out that the album is out - I hadn't realised.

Comment

I'm definitely more 'down' with Bubblegum than Boyfriend (and it's Better Sit Down Boy) - but they're a very decent addition to my listening o'er the past year or so.

Anyone called Janet Planet is a-okay by me.

Comment

Alela Diane's 'Cusp' album is a work of total beauty. I missed her live on Tuesday night to go to two dull-as-fuck referees' meetings, and fear I may regret that decision for the rest of my life.

Comment

'Nordub' - the new album from Sly and Robbie with Nils Petter Molvaer and Eivind Aarset. Listening to it on headphones as I type. S&R's signature dub-heavy, rock-steady rhythms with the two Norwegians crafting their usual trumpet/guitar/electronic soundscapes over the top. Quite wonderful. Here's a sample....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuwOosr5lU4

Comment

Black Dresses - Wasteisolation

Deep and shaking trans electropunk from Toronto. 'Slither' is my standout track.

Comment

For Esme. I've just glommed onto these women and am loving what I hear.

Give 'Doubtmouth' a whirl for a great retro buzz, and 'Just Yet' will stick in yer head for sure.

New / next album out May 25.

http://www.foresmemusic.com

Comment

I've been listening to Dirty Computer a lot. it's very good and still growing on me.

I'm posting here though because I've just seen

This is America, and it is stunning.

Comment

No-one needs me to comment on this, so I won't.

This young man is a 5-talent guy.

I am in a shit Twitter feed where everything a celebrity does, is magnified. I saw him on SNL, and he was good. The sketches were all the better for him being there... and then I was getting ready for work, and this came on... And my first thought was, what the fuck is the guys name who wrote "atlanta" ? And why does... no, not really. I sat down.

Unfortunately, unless you give every non-white person in America, a gun, it means nothing.

No addenda. Expect the Guardian to write a thousand articles (other than the review), in the next two blunts. And I hate blunts.

Yes, a perfect response from a white guy about someone else's post on a black guy. Me and my Taiwanese husband will be sitting over here with our guns cocked.

Spectacular.

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
                                                  Black Dresses - Wasteisolation

Deep and shaking trans electropunk from Toronto. 'Slither' is my standout track.
                                                  Ah, this is rather good. Thank you, delicatemoth. :-)

Here's 'Serpentine Servitude', by pulsewidthmod.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X