Crewesaders Revenge? Weekend matchgoing thread 13/01/18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sheff Weds 2-0 Carlisle

Might as well extend this thread to cover the midweek games.

12000 hardy souls dragged themselves out into the snow for a drab cup replay, won by a lacklustre Wednesday courtesy of two mistakes from a generous and frankly not very good Carlisle.

Was disappointed that the first half blizzard eased before the ref needed to call for an orange ball, though it was probably just as well as both the A61 and M62 were sketchy enough as it was.

Comment

I went to Warrington tonight and saw them upset Ebbsfleet to advance to the last 16 of the FA Trophy. Lots of familiar faces in the Warrington side, as several played for Southport. The referee was also a familiar face, as I went to school with him. Weather was okay but sleety on the way home. During the second half the sky in the direction of Birchwood flashed with lightning, which drew an appreciative "ooooh" from all present.

Comment

I made a last minute decision to attend the West Ham v Shrewsbury Cup replay tonight once Molesey’s home game got called off due to a waterlogged pitch. The Olympic Stadium is one of my favourite sporting venues in the world but it’s clearly not a football venue so I thought I would tick it off with a less than full crowd and for the same £10 I would have paid to see The Moles.

It wasn’t an altogether terrible experience, I was careful to choose a seat at a corner in the upper level of the only stand where there isn’t a huge trench between the tiers so had a decent view and proximity to the pitch. Shrewsbury pushed West Ham all the way, having the best chance of the initial 90 minutes, but couldn’t quite mount enough of a consistent goal threat or take it to penalties.

The home crowd had the same high level of wankers and troglodytes it used to at Upton Park but I was heartened to see a far higher Anglo-Asian presence than at their old ground, or indeed any London ground I can recall. I don’t know if this is the fruits of a concerted effort to attract a wider demographic to the stadium/club or a happy coincidence of tickets being more easily obtainable but it was a major positive for me.

I can’t see me going back there for football unless Wimbledon visit though.

Comment

Oh, and Bedfont & Feltham v Fleet Spurs at the weekend was a very enjoyable (but freezing) 1-1 draw and double-header of groundhopping & planespotting conducted in a ground that would serve as a passable location for a low budget dystopian sci-fi movie.

Comment

Working...
          X