No announcement yet.

Russia sticking their OARs in: Winter Olympics 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Similar to this years handball Champions League, at least there I can understand some commercial considerations would have greater weight.

There must have been research that tells broadcasters that there are lots of people who are only interested in their country and the back stories of athletes from their countries. Musn't there? Otherwise it's just pointless as well as annoying.

I am sorry. I want to enjoy it (I like speed skating (long slightly more than short) and cross country and other things) but I turn on the TV and it just infuriates me.

Marit though! That's incredible.

Comment

They certainly used that format for the women's tournament in Sochi, and possibly in Vancouver. I think it's so that they can get a Canada v USA match in the group stage (before they almost certainly meet again in the final), without making one pool much stronger than the other. Officially I suspect it's described as for reasons of competitive balance or similar.

Comment

I always watch the short track speed skating. I'll never understand the video judging.

Comment

My son and I were just discussing this, the reasoning behind the decisions seems very opaque and subjective. It makes the equivalent video refereeing decisions in speedway, which are always considered controversial. seem very clear cut.

The one going on now between Dutch, Hungarian and Chinese skaters in the Men’s 1500m semi took ages and has been particularly impenetrable.

Great sport though, wish there was somewhere to watch it live in London or surrounding area.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post

It may be that Eurosport is the better bet, broadcast-wise, in avoiding parochialism though.
            Absolutely, I barely go near the BBC for Winter Olympic coverage. I think this is the first Games with the split BBC & Discovery/Eurosport coverage deal so the former has a lot less of the action and consequently fewer streams while the latter is publicising “every minute of every sport” on it’s online Eurosport Player.
            Last edited by Ray de Galles; 10-02-2018, 12:23.

Comment

The Keirin-style Short Track 3000m Women’s Relay semi on Eurosport now, South Koreans knocked down early but reeling the others in.
              Last edited by Ray de Galles; 10-02-2018, 12:03.

Comment

Koreans win by a mile anyway and break the Olympic record...after a fall!

Comment

Germany, Norway, Czechia in the women's 7.5 km. Dahlmeier was a long way ahead of the rest.

Comment

Have I said I love the cross country skiiing? I do, I love the cross country skiing.

Korea playing Switzerland in the womens hockey on the red button. Something I may have to point out is the shitness of the commentary. This view is partially coloured by my personal opinion of the commentator. And the shitness of his commentary.

Comment

The women's hockey draw is a consequence of the fact that the quality of the teams is very uneven.

The US and Canada are so far ahead of the rest that their C teams would likely qualify for the semis in an open draw.

Comment

South Korea claim the first gold in the Short Track in the Men’s 1500m

Comment

I am very taken with the Norwegian Ski Jumping team's hats, and would dearly like to have one.

Comment

I am utterly gutted at the 3000m result. Ahead by a second on the last lap, only to lose it by 8 hundredths. But, a consolation 1-2-3 for Netherlands (not for the first time.)

Comment

Tomorrow's the men's downhill. Surely, given our general demographic, this thread should be called "Klammer glides!"

Comment

Want.

Comment

50 mph winds on the men's downhill course. Unlikely that it will go off on time (if at all today).

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
                                    I am very taken with the Norwegian Ski Jumping team's hats, and would dearly like to have one.
                                    One of the Canadian Short Track coaches was wearing a plaid baseball/hunting cap with a white maple leaf on it but I can’t find it for sale on the Canadian Olympic site’s store.

Comment

We're all human but, to be honest, Ray, I'm disappointed that you're even thinking of seeing other hats so soon.

Comment

Adam, the GAY American skater, has just been interviewed on NBC. (With Scott the big-headed, non-Boitano) they just gave almost 6 minutes of hilarity.

He won't win, but he is a class act.

Comment

I forgot that I love cross-country skiing.

And yes, I 'mourn' the loss of Bjornedahlen, and the female version (fucking mansplaining) whose name I forget.

However, I don't actually care that much, but I like the way they overtake, and imagine them having a few words in other languages that basically mean "ha, fuck you, you're done... oh wait, another four fucking laps of this?"

Comment

And, "oh shit, I wish I could shoot".

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
                                              There must have been research that tells broadcasters that there are lots of people who are only interested in their country and the back stories of athletes from their countries. Musn't there? Otherwise it's just pointless as well as annoying.

I am sorry. I want to enjoy it (I like speed skating (long slightly more than short) and cross country and other things) but I turn on the TV and it just infuriates me.
                                              From a while back, yes. The theory goes like, men like sports, women like stories. Men will watch the Olympics no matter what, so you heavily salt the coverage with stories to draw a female audience as well to pump up the ratings.

DH already postponed.

Comment

Never mind the per capita medal table, there should be some kind of formula based on "likelihood that you ever got to do the sport when you were a kid".

A Kiwi has just come 4th in the men's speed skating. Now if it were the judged half-pipe snowboard mixed tango, I could understand it. We have mountains and ski resorts, and the kids like to do those rad moves, man. (Note to self: Edit for updated slang). But nobody ever goes out on a frozen lake. It's a news headline when they do, because they fall in.

He's not even Dutch. (Kramer, the winner, must be one of the least known "legends" in world sport, though I suppose you get quite a few of those at the Winter Olympics. Wins a bunch of golds and he's less famous than a Premier League bench-warmer who couldn't get them to the World Cup).

Comment

Some tumbles and tangles at the start of the men's cross-country, the kind of thing where commentators say "nobody wants to see that", misjudging their audience by a mile.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                                                    We're all human but, to be honest, Ray, I'm disappointed that you're even thinking of seeing other hats so soon.

“My name is Ray and I have a severe sport-related hat problem”

Comment

Working...
                                                    X