No announcement yet.

O'Neill & Keane Not To Stoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

don't care anymore about ireland team if we aren't going to attempt to play football

and by that i don't mean attacking vs defensive football. i can appreciate a bit of well organised catenaccio. italy beating holland at euro2000 with ten men. love it.

but ireland not playing anything resembling football

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
      What I'm wondering is why he threw his hat in the ring in the first place, ego? or trying to get a better deal from the F.A.I? Either way it hasn't helped his popularity over here
      Well I assume he thought he was going to get the job. But now he has a grudge because he's sloppy seconds to Flores. My impression of O'Neill is that he has a fragile ego.

Comment

Paul Lambert, on the other hand, is not in the least bothered by that as he is now the Stoke manager. That is very underwhelming.

Edit - for them club announcement
        The Club reviewed a number of people against the criteria set and met with a small number of parties who had expressed an interest in the job.
        Ha ha. Yeah. That is one way of presenting what happened.
        Last edited by Janik; 15-01-2018, 11:45.

Comment

It has a worrying (for Stoke supporters) air of forward planning through appointing a solid D2 manager.

Comment

Some twitter comments are along the lines of "Well, he will get the defence organised, but that isn't enough". If that proves to be the case, it might actually be enough as defending is Stoke's greatest problem at the moment, what with having comfortably the worst goals conceded record in the league. But Christ, it's uninspiring. Though neither Flores or O'Neill hardly set the pulses racing as appointments, either. And neither did Roy Hodgson at Palace or David Moyes at West Ham, two other managers renowned for a 'pragmatic' approach.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
              It has a worrying (for Stoke supporters) air of forward planning through appointing a solid D2 manager.
              I suspect the key driver here was 'get someone who is immediately available and won't turned around and say no'

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                Though neither Flores or O'Neill hardly set the pulses racing as appointments, either. And neither did Roy Hodgson at Palace or David Moyes at West Ham, two other managers renowned for a 'pragmatic' approach.
                I have no problem with a pragmatic manager. My otf screen name is in honour of the most pragmatic of them all. In fact, Pulis was available after Ireland failed to qualify and O'Neill's contract rant out. The FAI missed a trick there.

O'Neill was at his peak when he was paired with John Robertson. O'Neill took care of the man management and motivational team talks. John Robertson took care of the tactics. They were a good team. There's no John Robertson any more to do the tactics. Roy Keane is more of a motivator type as well, in the mould of O'Neill. The result is that neither of them are doing what Dutch clubs would call the voetbaltechnisch side of things. So we get teams sent out with half a Plan A and no Plan B. Take the Danish match in Dublin. The first leg in Copenhagen ended 0-0. There didn't seem to be any plan to counter the entirely realistic scenario of the Danish team going ahead in Dublin and Ireland needing to outscore Denmark. The result was a total shambles involving taking off the midfield and throwing on some forward players. Championship Manager desperation stuff. I've seen average Tony Pulis teams come back from behind and win in a controlled manner. It can be done. I've never seen a Tony Pulis team throw a match like O'Neill's Ireland against Denmark.
                Last edited by anton pulisov; 15-01-2018, 13:22.

Comment

That appointment seems a division too high, unless they're already thinking of the worst. And in my experience I'm certainly not sure he will get the defence organised.

Comment

It could be worse. At one point a few years ago, Mad Mart was 3rd rated supremo from NI, behind Messiah Mike and Johnny McKinstry of Gabon

Comment

He did alright at Villa I thought, considering what he had to work with and what happened subsequently.

Comment

Who, O'Neill or Lambert?

Comment

Lambert.. having to deal with the mess left behind by O'Neil and Lerner's lack of interest.

Comment

I suppose it's debatable but I don't agree. The fact that Lerner was a twat and someone else got relegated with a mostly different set of players doesn't mean Lambert didn't deserve sacking way before it happened. The admittedly great job he did at Norwich is an increasingly isolated positive on his CV.

Comment

That's fair enough, you're at the sharp end and the only first hand experience I had was the 2013 League Cup Semi Final and he made a right bollocks of that.

Comment

I've been trying to forget that! Thoroughly outplayed in both legs.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Beast View Post
                                  I suppose it's debatable but I don't agree. The fact that Lerner was a twat and someone else got relegated with a mostly different set of players doesn't mean Lambert didn't deserve sacking way before it happened. The admittedly great job he did at Norwich is an increasingly isolated positive on his CV.
                                  The last line is very true. Paul Lambert was one of the best managers in Norwich City's history. He is still revered for taking us from the bottom of the third tier to the middle of the top tier, especially as we were close to administration when he took over.

Many fans were genuinely expecting him to go on and do great things, but for whatever reason, it hasn't happened. The absence of assistants Ian Culverhouse and Gary Karsa in recent years has been cited. It's well known that Lambert had a Brian Clough like presence at the club - not around too much during the week but hugely effective when he did appear on match day. Culverhouse and Karsa did the ground work on the training pitch and the former was apparently a key factor in the club's rise through the divisions.

Yet, even with his colleagues by his side at Villa, things were not working and their subsequent fall out was unpleasant by all accounts. For various reasons, his career just hasn't got back on track. Culverhouse now manages Kings Lynn.

This really feels like a last chance at the top level for him. I hope he makes a decent fist of it.

Comment

So O'Neill and Delaney have agreed that a contract will be drawn up and signed.

Denis O'Brien must have a massive crush on MON.

Comment

Originally posted by Tapiocahead View Post
                                      Lambert.. having to deal with the mess left behind by O'Neil and Lerner's lack of interest.
                                      This might still be true, but there were two Villa managers between O'Neill and Lambert, three if we include Kevin MacDonald's little spell as a caretaker. And the one thing Lambert definitely had on his side was massive initial goodwill from the fans. Houllier didn't have that, and Alex McCleish (a ridiculous appointment, admittedly) certainly didn't.

Comment

I keep drawing parallels with Owen Coyle.

Comment

Originally posted by antoine polus View Post
                                          So O'Neill and Delaney have agreed that a contract will be drawn up and signed.

Denis O'Brien must have a massive crush on MON.
                                          More to do with FAI inertia and there aren't any other plausible candidates readily available.
                                          Even the world's best would struggle to make much out of the current squad.

Comment

True, but that was due to bizarre tactics on the night.
                                            We were rubbish, but the scoreline flattered the Danes also.

Comment

It really didn't.

Comment

We were rubbish, but not as terrible as when Germany beat us 6-1, so I make you.slightly wrong there.

Comment

The bizarre tactics are exactly why O’Neill should be told to sling his hook. It’s not pragmatic football it’s just lazy old school motivational bollocks. And 4-4-2 till the end of time. The players might be fairly shit, but if they had a manager who was awake since 2005 they might be able to be organized into a coherent unit. Denmark are shite with one or two good players. That defeat should have seen the quiet man get the fuck out of there, taking his psycho enforcer with him.

O’Brien’s dirty money has been a monkeys paw curse. Keeps superannuated old has-beens in a job cos they are “big names”. Stephen Kenny ffs. Would get him for pennies. And something like football might break out.

Comment

Originally posted by Dav O'Roso View Post
                                                    We were rubbish, but not as terrible as when Germany beat us 6-1, so I make you.slightly wrong there.
                                                    Ireland not being quite as bad as a previous game ≠ the 1-5 scoreline flattered Denmark.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X