The new WSC with New Years' Resolutions on the cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The new WSC with New Years' Resolutions on the cover

Mine arrived this morning. I'm top of the shop on the Letters page and it looks like EIM will be buying a new book this month. Looking forward to the pieces on Carlisle, whose fans I've never really liked after it kicked off behind the new stand in 2006, and rivalries.

Mine also arrived this morning. I've read a couple of the letters (including yours - teachers, eh?) and that's it. Once again I'm struggling to identify the players on the front.

Comment

Well, If I'd known Colin McPherson was at our Boxing Day game I'd have bought him a drink, or said hello, or something.

Comment

A top bloke, is Colin

Comment

Yeah, I'd like to have met him. I trust we gave him some decent hospitality.

Comment

No mention of who originally built "The Hive" I notice...

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
              No mention of who originally built "The Hive" I notice...
              Who was it?

Comment

Wealdstone.

Comment

Am currently going through my entire back catalogue of WSCs as I've run out of space - archiving my own contributions before chucking the lot, unfortunately. But it's all digitally saved now anyway, and I've seen unsuccessful attempts on here before to donate or pass on print magazines that no one wants cluttering up their houses any more.

It's hard not to get distracted by old articles, though. And especially book reviews and the Letters page - some lively exchanges there early on between Ed Horton and Harry Pearson. There used to be a lot more female contributors too, in the early-mid 90s when the magazine was, I reckon, at a peak in terms of both variety and quality of content.

Comment

Lovely quote from editorial, October 1997: "Sky seem to believe that the whole of British football history has somehow been one glorious progression leading to their arrival."

Comment

I'm really enjoying the Team Spirit (I think that's what the feature's called) articles. They seem to hark back to the early, fan-nostalgia pieces you'd see in Offside and Late Tackle. This month's article on Brunton Park and the recent tribute to Les Mutrie are particularly fine examples.

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
                        And especially book reviews and the Letters page
                        Always what I read first.

Comment

My "hope" for 1999 (WSC 144): "That football will eat itself and then we can all do something worthwhile with our spare time." I was also disappointed that David Mellor had failed "to drown in his own grease".

Comment

"The Murdochisation of Football: What Can Be Done?" is a seminar organised by Hackney Fabian Society..." Gawd bless the 20th century.

Edit: did anyone from here go?
                            Last edited by imp; 18-01-2018, 11:24.

Comment

It's also worth noting the large amount of space that WSC devoted to incisive articles about race and racism in the 90s, when no one else really was.

Going through them chronologically is a bit like reading old diaries. Have spent another whole day on this and am still only at 2002.

Comment

In 2002 I filled out the fan survey but didn't send it off. Question 23. "What one change, improvement, new service or idea do you most want from your club?" A. Poetry workshops at half-time.

Curious Question 32. "Which of the following do you drink regularly?" I go for Draught Guinness/stout and wine. Then, as now, I wasn't into alcopops (do they still exist?). It's the only non-demographic question not related to football.

Comment

Have been sidetracked by some magnificent vintage book reviews dismantling sub-standard works. Wingco on Giles Goodhead's 'Us v Them: Journeys to the World's Greatest Football Derbies' (2003) and Taylor Parkes destroying Will Buckley's 'The Man Who Hated Football' (2004).

Comment

Ha ha, I've only just noticed the headline for my webwatch column in WSC 254 (April 2008) Start Talking Sense (reviewing various podcasts) remains unchanged the following month in WSC 255 (about Ebbsfleet and various other sites), where my byline, mysteriously, is 'Ian Plenderleith 2.0'.

Comment

So did these magazines go with you from England to Germany to the US and back to Germany? (Obviously multpilying along the way...)

Comment

Yes. The sad thing is that the only way I was ever going to sit down and read them again was by sorting through them before throwing them out...

Comment

No. 262 must have been a good issue - pages are stuck together.

Comment

Did cover star 'Arry put you in the mood?

Comment

I can't remember what might have got me going seven years ago, but it could have been the pic of Albion Rovers' Cliftonhill stadium on the book reviews' spread.

Comment

What book am I going to be buying? Is it Cantona's Notebook full of pictures of dicks? If so, a shoplifter gave me one in exchange for a pint of Guinness.

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
                                                  What book am I going to be buying? Is it Cantona's Notebook full of pictures of dicks? If so, a shoplifter gave me one in exchange for a pint of Guinness.
                                                  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Red-Rebels-.../dp/1787290093

Comment

Working...
                                                  X