Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lana Del Reydiohead

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...-del-rey-creep

Christ, I abhor Radiohead...but that's so obviously Creep that I can't blame them for suing her.

Comment

How can you even try and claim that is coincidence? Almost more impressive is the idea that nobody involved at any point thought "hmmm - this sounds a little bit familiar"

Comment

Having listened, it does seem to have exactly the same tune, chord progression, vocal style and atmosphere as far as the bridge, at least. It thus rather beggars belief that Lana herself, a presumably professional team of musicians, producers, etc. could listen to her song all the way through production up to its inclusion on the album and not at any stage think, "Hang on, we've just recorded Creep with different words here". Hard to argue that Radiohead's lawyers don't have a case.

Comment

Heh, cross-post with dglh there.

Comment

Jesus, the first minute-and-a-half of that are indeed effectively a cover version. Baffling, given that Creep has been a radio staple for a quarter of a century now...

Comment

Even Sam Smith had the good sense to go "yup...busted...here's your credit" before it got much farther than a polite letter from Mr Petty.

I mean, even if she'd called it Creeper and tried to position it as an homage or tribute or something, but to flat-out deny it?

Comment

Apparently she doesn't recognise that her writers ripped off "Creep", yet offered Radiohead 40% of the publishing royalties.

I mean, that's not a brilliant bartering position, is it? "I don't believe we have plagiarised you, but take 40% and please don't sue me".

Comment

I presume the 40% number recognises that it's the first part of the song that is problematic rather than the whole thing. I mean it's clearly Creep, so they must know they have no leg to stand on arguing otherwise. The haggling is over what percentage "belongs" to Radiohead

Comment

It sounds like a fair cop. Will Bontempi get a cut for the pre-set that comes in around 50s?

Comment

Props to VT for the thread title, too.

Comment

And Radiohead ripped off Albert Hammond & Mike Hazlewood's song "The Air That I Breathe" for Creep. The writers had to sue Radiohead before the band folded. Hammond later said, magnanimously: "Radiohead agreed that they had actually taken it. Because they were honest they weren't sued to the point of saying 'we want the whole thing'. So we ended up just getting a little piece of it."

Anyway, Radiohead and Lana Del Rey are both Tel Aviv gigs almuni. So fuck them both.

Comment

Can Hammond and Hazlewoid sue Lana if Radiohead succeed?

Comment

Probably. Thomas Dolby was able to go after Kevin Federline when he sampled a Mobb Deep track (Got It Twisted) that sampled She Blinded Me With Science. Mobb had his permission, but K-Fed did not.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                              Can Hammond and Hazlewoid sue Lana if Radiohead succeed?
                              If Radiohead succeed (ie they get the 100% they are asking for) then there's nothing left to sue LDR for. Worth noting that the exact bit of Creep that DelRay has ripped off is the bit that Radiohead ripped off Hammond and Hazlewood

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                If Radiohead succeed (ie they get the 100% they are asking for) then there's nothing left to sue LDR for. Worth noting that the exact bit of Creep that DelRay has ripped off is the bit that Radiohead ripped off Hammond and Hazlewood
                                Presumably it counts towards Creep's earnings and they get their regular cut of that?

Worth noting here that this is an album track and not in the same worldwide No 1 league as Blurred Lines.

Comment

She ought to approach H&H and offer them 100%of it.

Comment

Indeed. And if it goes to court, her defence should be that she ripped off The Air That I Breathe.

Comment

The section lifted from The Air That I Breathe by Radiohead is 'not' what Del Rey borrowed at all. She pretty much took the entire chord sequence and melody from the verse, as opposed to a very brief sequence from the middle eight.

Comment

She even copies Yorke's vocal inflections on the verse, e.g. how she sings 'Gone is the burden' at 2:11

Comment

Band that couldn't think of an original name suing artist who can't come up with an original tune.

Comment

Also a artist who doesn't know what is and isn't a lawsuit, apparently.

Comment

Working...
                                            X