No announcement yet.

World Cup Trivia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Salenko yes, the only player to manage five. Klose no, Yugoslavia no, Hungary 82 no. There was one in the Poland 5-6 Brazil and one in the Hungary 54 game.
    Last edited by Sean of the Shed; 06-01-2018, 16:57.

Comment

I don't know the answer to this but will ask it - longest gap between the first two goals scored by a country in its finals history?

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
        Seven players have scored four or more goals in a single World cup tournament game, not including penalty shoot outs.
        Eusebio bagged four in Portugal's 5-3 q/f comeback vs North Korea at Goodison Park in 1966.

Emilio Butragueño scored four of Spain's five in their surprise second-round hammering of Denmark in Querétaro twenty years later.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
          I don't know the answer to this but will ask it - longest gap between the first two goals scored by a country in its finals history?
          Was hoping New Zealand would be a decent benchmark but they scored two in their first tournament (1982), both in the 5-2 defeat by Scotland - it was then 28 years until they scored again in South Africa.

Comment

OK, Norway seems to fit the bill.

First appearance - 1938 World Cup. Lost 2-1 to Italy in the first round (knockout) after extra time, Arne Brustad with the goal.

This was Norway's only World Cup finals match for 56 years.

They qualified for USA '94, and scored one goal, Kjetil Rekdal netting in a 1-0 win over Mexico, as they finished bottom of a group where all the teams had four points.

Comment

Thanks. I had thought Paraguay but they were only 20 years and 9 days, 1930-1950.

Bolivia did not score its first goal until 64 years after its debut; consolation goal v Spain in 1994. South Korea took 32 years, 1954-86.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                Eusebio bagged four in Portugal's 5-3 q/f comeback vs North Korea at Goodison Park in 1966.

Emilio Butragueño scored four of Spain's five in their surprise second-round hammering of Denmark in Querétaro twenty years later.
                Both correct.

Comment

The Poland and Brazil four goal players from 1938 were Williamowski and Leonidas,didn't look it up just wanted to show what a clever clogs I am

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                    The Poland and Brazil four goal players from 1938 were Williamowski and Leonidas,didn't look it up just wanted to show what a clever clogs I am
                    I'd always thought it was four each, but Wiki says three for Leonidas. My recollection is from an old BBC video (pre-WC 1990) narrated by John Motson called "The Boys from Brazil" (which I've since realised is an allusion to the book/film of the same name)

Comment

The mistake is in Brian Glanville's book of the World Cup, which says Leonidas scored three in the first half. Video shows he scored the first Brazil goal of that half but not the other two:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFf9_DsjNdU

Who is the player with the white streak in his hair who sets up the first?
                      Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 10-02-2018, 23:53.

Comment

Satchmo, based on the position he's playing I reckon that must be Zezé Procópio, who was the right half in that match.
                        Oddly, the FIFA website has a picture of the team lining up before the match and I can't see a white streak in any of their hairdoes.

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                        I'd like to plough the furrow of players scoring against the country where they play their club football, thinking of Ahn Jung-hwan, whose goal for South Korea knocked out Italy in 2002 and earned him the sack from Perugia as a result.

But given how many non-English players there are in the Premier League, and the fact that England aren't very good, it's probably happened quite a lot just to England.

Players who scored against England at a World Cup finals whilst in the employ of an English club. Let's go.
                        Re: the Paul Parker shout on this, that was a deflection rather than an OG, surely - the initial shot was on target.

The only own goal by an England player at the World Cup on this list was Bulgaria's (final) equaliser in a 4-4 draw in the 1954 tournament, scored by Jimmy Dickinson, who played his entire career for Portsmouth (according to his Wiki page he's their record appearance holder).

Comment

Maybe the `white' in the Brazil v Poland footage is dressing for an injury?

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                            Jimmy Dickinson, who played his entire career for Portsmouth (according to his Wiki page he's their record appearance holder).
                            It's obviously an age thing, but I thought everyone knew about Jimmy Dickinson. He was the single club record holder until beaten by John Trollope.

Comment

Heh. Well it was 30 years before I was born. (Which - one for the Time thread, this - means my birthday is quite a bit closer to the 1954 World Cup than it is to today!)

Comment

Working...
                              X