World Cup Trivia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
    Am I misunderstanding the objection to Syria? They could be drawn against Israel and Turkey?
    They could, and likewise China could be drawn with Kazakhstan and Russia if both qualified.

Comment

I think that is right.

And am rethinking Syria and China. As Rogin notes, they could be drawn against two UEFA countries with which they share a land border.

Comment

Oops, yes of course. So, Iran as well then.
        Last edited by Kevin S; 05-01-2018, 15:29.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
          Gyan? And he would have had one more, too, but for Luis Suarez
          Yes, it's Gyan. (But it's not Suarez's fault he missed the penalty.)

Comment

I'd like to plough the furrow of players scoring against the country where they play their club football, thinking of Ahn Jung-hwan, whose goal for South Korea knocked out Italy in 2002 and earned him the sack from Perugia as a result.

But given how many non-English players there are in the Premier League, and the fact that England aren't very good, it's probably happened quite a lot just to England.

Players who scored against England at a World Cup finals whilst in the employ of an English club. Let's go.

Comment

I think our friend Luis was still a Liverpool player at the 2014 World Cup.

Comment

Yes it's either Suarez or the player Liverpool signed to replace him (Balotelli) from 2014

Comment

It's Suarez; I think the deals were done after the World Cup. I've found six, so there's at least five more to get.

Comment

Dempsey in 2010?

Comment

Dan Petrescu

Comment

Dan Petrescu was in Chelsea's employ when he netted the winner for Romania vs England in a 1998 group match.

Edit: Ha!

Okay, for the sake of getting one on me own - Kevin Sheedy (Ireland, 1990).
                        Last edited by Jah Womble; 05-01-2018, 16:02.

Comment

Four down, two to go (assuming it didn't happen in 1970 or earlier?).

Comment

Alexandersson had left Wednesday by 2002 but I think he was at Everton?

Comment

Correct.

Comment

(Already gone!)
                                Last edited by Jah Womble; 05-01-2018, 16:12.

Comment

Paul Parker?

Comment

Ah, hadn't included own goals but that's a fair shout.

Comment

The other one played for a country in yellow.

Comment

Having hunted for it, I can see why it's hard to remember...

Comment

Yes, he wasn't at the club for long.

Comment

Ronaldo scored in the penalty shoot out in 2006.

Comment

[spoiler]

Viorel Moldovan, scorer of the other goal against England for Romania in '98, was at Coventry at the time - he was only there from January until the summer.[/spoiler]

Comment

Seven players have scored four or more goals in a single World cup tournament game, not including penalty shoot outs.

Comment

Oleg Salenko

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                                                    Seven players have scored four or more goals in a single World cup tournament game, not including penalty shoot outs.
                                                    IIRC two were in the Poland v Brazil 1938 game (only game to contain two hat tricks?) but the players' names have escaped me.

Otherwise I am thinking of the big 8 to 10 goal hammerings. Klose v Saudi Arabia, Hungary 1954 and 1982, Yugo v Zaire '74.
                                                    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 06-01-2018, 14:15.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X