World Cup Trivia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

World Cup Trivia

Following a conversation between myself and VA on another site, and based on the success of the European Cup version, here's a World Cup one, and I'll start with the one we were talking about.

Spain are the only country at the World Cup to be drawn against two teams they share a land border with, ie Portugal and Morocco. Indeed, they were the only team there that could have been. Based on the current draw format, there are only six other teams in the world who could possibly achieve this assuming the appropriate neighbours qualify.

The French Republic shares a border with Brazil (and Suriname) as well as its European neighbours, and it could be drawn with one of those. So France is one I suppose?

Comment

Canada and Denmark (on behalf of its territory, Greenland) both claim Hans Island. If that can be deemed a land border, then Denmark could have two land-border neighbours in Germany and Canada with them in a group.

Comment

Turkey could be in a group with one of its UEFA neighbours plus Syria from AFC.

Comment

Oh yeah, Russia works of course.

Comment

I hadn't allowed for French overseas territory, so that is additional to the six I had found. A disputed island is not really a land border. Turkey and Russia are correct.

Comment

Azerbaijan (Iran for AFC, Russia, Turkey or Georgia for UEFA)

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                I hadn't allowed for French overseas territory, so that is additional to the six I had found. A disputed island is not really a land border. Turkey and Russia are correct.
                Cheers Sean. In fact given that Suriname are CONCACAF members, France could be drawn with three countries with which it shares a land border, forming an entire group such as Brazil, France, Switzerland, Suriname.

Comment

Kazakhstan is similar to Azerbaijan. Russia as a fellow member of UEFA, China or one of the other former Soviet Central Asian republics for the AFC

One can also get France and CONCACAF via St Pierre et Miquelon and Canada.

Comment

Likewise Armenia then, I suppose, which borders fellow UEFA members Georgia, Turkey and Azerbaijan as well as AFC's Iran.

Comment

So far:

(Spain)
                      France
                      Turkey
                      Russia
                      Azerbaijan
                      Kazakhstan
                      Armenia

Are we looking for one more then?

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                        Kazakhstan is similar to Azerbaijan. Russia as a fellow member of UEFA, China or one of the other former Soviet Central Asian republics for the AFC

One can also get France and CONCACAF via St Pierre et Miquelon and Canada.
                        Kazakhstan and Azerbaijan are correct. St Pierre et Miquelon and Canada do not have a land border, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                          So far:

(Spain)
                          France
                          Turkey
                          Russia
                          Azerbaijan
                          Kazakhstan
                          Armenia

Are we looking for one more then?
                          Yes, one more.

Comment

Ah, Israel. As a UEFA member it can be drawn with neighbouring Egypt (CAF) and Jordan/Lebanon (AFC).

Comment

Syria, too

Israel and Turkey for UEFA, Lebanon and Iraq for AFC

Comment

Syria isn't one I had accounted for, so that is another on the list. I think that makes it nine in total.

Comment

Israel? Although FIFA would shit themselves if that came to pass.

Comment

China has Russia and Kazakhstan from UEFA and a host of Asian borders to choose from.

Comment

Syria are AFC not UEFA, so can't be drawn with another AFC team. (Ditto China.)

Comment

Ah yeah.

Got carried away there.

Comment

A simple question with one answer: Who is Africa's all time leading scorer in World Cup finals?

Comment

Just Fontaine

Comment

Ha, ok, well that's not the one I had on the card...

Mea culpa: I should clarify - most goals for an African country.
                                              Last edited by Kevin S; 05-01-2018, 15:05.

Comment

Am I misunderstanding the objection to Syria? They could be drawn against Israel and Turkey?

Comment

Gyan? And he would have had one more, too, but for Luis Suarez

Comment

Working...
                                                  X