No announcement yet.

When Wednesday Come - weekend matchgoing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Went to Leighton Buzzard yesterday, and was disappointed to find that they don't treat their musical heritage as Liverpool does theirs, so couldn't go on a Barron Knights coach tour or visit the Kajagoogoo Experience. So I had to make do with a trip to Bell Close for the FA Vase tie between Leighton Town and Norwich CBS. Until relegation a couple of seasons ago Leighton Town spent twenty years or so in the Isthmian and Southern Leagues, although their ground is relatively basic for a club that has played at higher level. The visitors have spent most of their existence as Norwich Union but have gone through various name changes since the company sports club was closed, adopting their current name last summer following sponsorship by a Kent based construction firm.

The visitors were the lowest ranked side left in the Vase, being upper mid table in the second tier of the Eastern Counties League, and so started out underdogs to their visitors, in a similar league postition but a step higher in the Spartan South Midlands Premier Division. Norwich took the lead after only a couple of minutes , turning in a corner, but Leighton scored from a corner of their own to make the half time score 1-1. Norwich retook the lead in the second half and looked like they were going to hold on, as Leighton struggled in front of goal. However the hosts finally managed to equalise with just a couple of minutes left on the clock to force extra time, and from that point on there was only one winner; Leighton scored three times in the first half of the additional period, winning 5-2 in the end.

The home fans were singing about going to Wembley by the end of the game. They are correct that Leighton will be doing this, as their final league game is a trip to Vale Farm to take on Wembley FC. However on this performance I don't fancy their chances of a repeat trip to the stadium the next month.

From Leighton Buzzard I headed up the M1 to Derby for second tier basketball between Derby Trailblazers and Bradford Dragons. Derby play at a fairly new sports centre in the south of the city, although it's not particularly well arranged for spectating as the position of the court means that the team benches are in front of the viewing area, so your view can be blocked at times if you get a coach like the Bradford one who chooses to spend most of the game walking up and down the sideline (and in his case frequently onto the court).

Bradford started the day in the last playoff spot with Derby a place and a game behind them. Derby were the better side but went through hot and cold phases - they would build up a double digit lead then seemingly forget how to play and allow Bradford back into the game. Luckily for the home side they finished on a hot phase to win 90-79. Two players fouled out on each team, one on the home side after only 17 minutes.

Comment

Half-time and it’s Newport 0 Leeds 1. We’ve done alright, in that cack-handed L2 way. Leeds look fairly poor but will undoubtedly stretch their lead in the second half.

Comment

Lured by cheap tickets and a ground I'd never been to, I headed down to Birmingham for the cup game against Burton. Was pretty easy to see why both sides have been struggling this season, with play disjointed, albeit with the occasional flash of ability to suggest that there may be some decent players in both sides. As well as the poor quality of game, I was absolutely freezing (despite having about 8 layers on) and then managed to embarass myself at the start of the game by falling over some seats in front of everyone. And then I managed to do exactly the same thing at the end of the game as well...

Comment

Originally posted by HORN View Post
          Half-time and it’s Newport 0 Leeds 1. We’ve done alright, in that cack-handed L2 way. Leeds look fairly poor but will undoubtedly stretch their lead in the second half.
          Pleasingly you seem to have been very wrong

Comment

Originally posted by HORN View Post
            Great result, and glad you were proved wrong.

Leeds have come out of the two games this season with a lot of credit. In the league cup they gave Newport the home side revenue even though the match was played in Leeds due to the pitch at Rodney Parade being relaid. This time they allowed the match to be broadcast on BBC Wales, again giving Newport more money.

Comment

Wooooo!!!

Comment

God that was frustrating! West Ham were shite and seemed to get everything off the ref but were still shite.

Anyway, congrats to HORN.

Comment

Yes, well done Newport County. When we left the pub they were 1 down. After a pee at the ground and and a quick check on the telly in the concourse it was 2-1. Excellent.

As for Shrewsbury, really, really, really disappointed we didn't win that. West Ham were a gutless shower of shite.

But, it sort of sums up our season. Work hard, press, be a pain in the arse, but a bit iffy around the 18 yard area.

Comment

Originally posted by NickSTFU View Post
                    Yes, well done Newport County. When we left the pub they were 1 down. After a pee at the ground and and a quick check on the telly in the concourse it was 2-1. Excellent.

As for Shrewsbury, really, really, really disappointed we didn't win that. West Ham were a gutless shower of shite.

But, it sort of sums up our season. Work hard, press, be a pain in the arse, but a bit iffy around the 18 yard area.
                    Absolutely. We did 2/3 of a good job there. Our midfield 3 bossed it, but as my neighbour rightly observed, if that had been a League 1 game we'd have been fed up. As it was, we were anyway. L1 sides will inevitably make mistakes that lead to goals when pressed back like that. West Ham's players, clueless as they were collectively, had just enough pace to recover when someone fucked up. We didn't really get behind them much and when we did our decision-making was poor.

We've not looked so potent going forward since the Brown/Rodman partnership was broken up by injury. The knock-on from that has left our central striker without consistent support and led to too much reliance on Nolan (who was oddly off-target going forwards today) and Whalley on the opposite wing. He's intermittently great but not reliably so. Overall, we're looking less fluent than we did.

Having said that, disappointment at not beating a PL side is as much a measure of Shrewsbury's progress as West Ham's ineptitude.

Joe Hart's generosity of spirit with kids after the game and the post-match interview on Radio Shropshire reminded me what a nice bloke he's grown into.

Comment

Decent display from Wimbledon today against a pretty strong Spurs side. They ceded possession understandably and looked to hit occasionally on the break or from a set piece. The Dons actually managed to have the best chance of a first half otherwise dominated by the home side when Abdou’s shot was fingertipped on to the bar by Vorm and could have rebounded off him in to the net before he saved Trotter’s follow up too.

The game was settled after an hour when a visibly straining defence were breached twice by Kane. Not, it has to be said, through any great play by Spurs but via a couple of missed tackles & unlucky bounces and a screwed up Wimbledon attacking free kick. Vertonghen’s third via a huge deflection flattered the home side a little.

Excellent display from the 7,700 travelling fans producing almost all the atmosphere in a pretty moribund 47,000 plus crowd. Wembley seems a terribly unsuitable club ground and must be pretty flat but for all but the biggest games, quite in contrast to White Hart Lane. Good to hear Dele Alli getting a reception befitting his Franchise roots and scumbag demeanour too, the latter illustrated by being one of two Tottenham players who felt the need to dive for a penalty when leading a struggling D3 side 3-0.
                      Last edited by Ray de Galles; 07-01-2018, 22:14.

Comment

"Scumbag demeanour" should be our OTF name for him

Comment

Not that this is my picture, but I thought it worth recording on here -- a banner produced by the Eastbourne Town ultras group Pier Pressure for their club's FA Vase tie against Windsor (it says, "Less Royal Wedding More Homeless Bedding", should it be difficult to read). From here.

Comment

Went to see Lewisham Borough host the peculiarly named Kent Football United in the SCEL D1 last night with their number one fan Uroš Predić. Interesting to see the home team attempt to deploy a precision-tooled high defensive line and sweeper-keeper utilising tenth tier players and it had predictable results with the visitors running out 0-3 winners. Each of their goals came from one of the numerous times their forwards bore down on the net protected only by a goalie who had charged thirty yards from his line.

A nice club and set of people though, even if the exposed nature of their athletics track ground exacerbated the extreme cold.
                            Last edited by Ray de Galles; 09-01-2018, 14:12.

Comment

I feel duty bound to clarify I am a 'fan' of Lewisham Borough and not Kent Football United. The rest of the above is true though.

Comment

Working...
                              X