Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Common words or phrases that immediately make you think of other words, because of so

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Common words or phrases that immediately make you think of other words, because of so

To feel a bit more connected, I'm going to launch a few threads that I know I can contribute to.

We've done this before, but it's been a while.

Here are a few for me. They're so automatic, that I often have to mutter it out loud just to get the thought out of my head.

For example, whenever anyone says "That's great," I immediately think "it starts with an earth-quake, birds and snakes and airplanes, Lenny Bruce is not afraid..."

Others:

1) "My advice..." to you is to start drinking heavily.

2) "Now, now..." let's not bicker and argue about who killed who.

3) Any reference to "Britons" Who are the Britons? We are all Britons, and I am your king! And how'd you get that then...

4) Any reference to people being "individuals..." I'm not.

5) Any reference to "crossroads..." Fell down on my knees.

6) "I think this situation..." Absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part.

7) Whenever somebody introduces themselves by just saying their name and shaking hands I expect them to say "Damn glad to meet you." (do you see a pattern here?)

8) Any sentence that starts with "Take the.." I want to end with "skinheads bowling, take them bowling."

Am I the only one with these automatic synaptic links?

I am happy to annoy people by finishing their sentences with song lyrics, Simpsons quotes etc. All the best people do it.

Comment

My grandmother did this all the time:

"Just wait..." (till the sun shines Nellie.)

"We're off..." (to the the woods to gather bluebells.)

Comment

I heard that, pardon

Comment

Anytime somebody says they've got to concentrate or tells me to concentrate, I think of "Pinch hitting for Pedro Borbon, Manny Mota."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CahNAauFgys

Comment

Marriage

"is what bwings us togevvah today"

Shining

"like a light!"

Comment

Princess Bride is ripe for this. "Mawwage" and "Inconceivable" are two biggies.

Comment

Meetings: "Any questions?"

prompts ... "Any point?"

"None whatsoever, Fletcher" (Porridge)

Comment

Every so often a phrase will trigger an earworm and I'll have a song stuck in my head for a while, but I don't really watch films and I'm terrible at remembering lines from TV programmes - I watch and I laugh and I think "That's clever", but it goes in one ear and out the other to be honest.

When I listen to people at work talking I usually find my thoughts drifting to a fantasy that ends with their severed head on a sharpened stake.

Comment

"There's a" (one-eyed yellow idol to the north of Katmandu)

Comment

Originally posted by sw2bureau View Post
                      I am happy to annoy people by finishing their sentences with song lyrics, Simpsons quotes etc. All the best people do it.
                      ALL THE TIME!

Comment

I do it...even educated fleas do it.

Comment

'...because of so...' 'what', I wonder?

Comment

Whenever anyone says "What's the word?" I always say "Johannesburg!"...

Comment

See, I'd say "word up!"

Another one:

"Got to get a.." (witness)

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                See, I'd say "word up!"

Another one:

"Got to get a.." (witness)
                                I'd go for 'message to you', and save witness for 'can I get a....'

Away from song lyrics, growing up my family was full of these things, for example 'I see...' was always followed by '...said the blind man but he couldn't see at all'. The days flew by.

Comment

My mate at work normally brings some soup in for his dinner, but has just announced that he hasn't brought any today, which resulted in me barking 'no soup for you!' at him.

Should this be in Office Annoyances?

Comment

"Plain milk is fine!" Is the response at chez Thistle when we've run out of something and are settling for a lesser alternative.

I've taken to replying to Mrs Thistle's comments like "I'm tired." with "You're right, Groot, it IS very late and we SHOULD go to bed."

Comment

Oh and also

"I think..."

"...therefore you are?"

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                                        [...]growing up my family was full of these things, for example 'I see...' was always followed by '...said the blind man but he couldn't see at all'. The days flew by.
                                        That brings things back - my grandmother's was to respond to "I see," with, "said the blind man to his deaf daughter."

Whenever anyone refers to something as a 'Whodunnit' I have to ever-so-wittily snap back "We know who done it, the rhino done it!" (Only Fools and Horses)

Comment

If you ever said "guess what?" to my father, he'd reply "cold potatoes aren't hot."

If anyone ever says to me "listen" my immediate reply is "You smell something?"

Comment

Whenever somebody says "Where do we go from here?" I HAVE to say out loud, "Down to the lake, I fear".

Comment

"Hello?"

"Is it me you're looking for?"

Comment

Every time "All Along The Watchtower" comes on I feel the urge to yell, "Scrubbers!" (although perhaps not Withnail's next line).

Also, when offered wine, " We want the finest wines available to humanity, we want them here and we want them now!"

Comment

Originally posted by Logan Mountstuart View Post
                                                  Whenever somebody says "Where do we go from here?" I HAVE to say out loud, "Down to the lake, I fear".
                                                  For me it's, "And should we really care?"

Comment

Working...
                                                  X