Is there a 2018 tennis thread yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
    And will play her second Daria of the tournament. Oxus and Jaxartes.
    Very good.

Comment

Wimbledon will have a final set tie break next year if the score reaches 12-12.

Comment

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that John Isner could make a tie break last 36 hours.

Comment

I wonder what the new name for that type of set will be? It's neither an advantage set or a tie-break one, as those terms are currently define. Let's deal with the important problems here, people!

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
          So Konta makes it to the SF of the Kremlin Cup.
          The Kremlin Cup is a Premier, so this is arguably Konta's best result of the season. At the very death. After having split with another coach. The decision to break with Esteban Carril is not looking like the right move, in hindsight. And from the outside, because of course I don't know whether that split was Tennis-related or personal.

Comment

"Hybrid decider"

You can have that for free.

(edit - though a little googling suggests that tennis uses the word hybrid in relation to strings and surfaces too)

Comment

What's wrong with "final set tie break"? It's in the final set and it's purpose is to break a tie. If we need a further distinction, a "12 all tie-break" or "25th game tie break" (as in, the TB starts where the 25th would start).

Comment

That is what the breaker itself will be called, I'm talking about the name of the type of set. A set that goes to 6-6 and then has a tie-break is called a tie-break set. One that has to be won by two clear games is an advantage set. This is neither of those.

Comment

If it's at 12-12 as has been suggested, I'd go with "Double Dozen Death Duel".

Comment

Hmm. Isn't that already some feature or other of the NextGen thingamabob. With kicking music playing, and nobody giving a rat's toss about what happens on the court?

Comment

Really? I've never heard of it, and a Google search didn't show up any hits. I've not paid any attention to the Next Gen thing. DDDD is my coinage and I claim my copyright.

Comment

My claim is one of turthiness. Which ought to have weight in US copyright law, and we will march on Washington behind Stephen to ensure it does.

Comment

They should just call it an Isner tie-break set.

Comment

Jack Sock update: he managed another win this week, against 135th ranked Elias Ymer, but then lost his next match to Gulbis.

Comment

"The Isner End"

(possibly rendered in a Geordie accent)

Comment

Kyle Edmund is still yet to win a Tour level tournament, which is unusually for a top 20 player. He has a chance to rectify that in a few hours time when he takes on Gael Monfils in Antwerp. Fingers crossed... A win would (slightly) boost Edmund's small, but also non-zero, chances of qualifying for the O2. It would only add 100 points and he is ~1000 back of John Isner, who currently holds the last spot assuming Delpo isn't playing. So a little increment, but every little bit helps.

Comment

Curious decisions of our time, part 357 of an occasional series:- in 2017 Julia Goerges won the Kremlin Cup. However this year, rather than opting to defend her title, she signed up to play in Luxembourg instead. Moscow is a Premier level event, Luxembourg an International. The points difference between the two is marked.
                                  Yesterday, Goerges won the title in Luxembourg. Great, but given the above, she lost 190 ranking points in the process and with it one place in the World rankings, dropping from 9th to 10th. That is a very significant fall as, following the early season end for Simona Halep, 9th was the last qualfying spot for the (highly lucrative in prize money and ranking points) World Tour Finals. Goerges missed out on that by 115 points.
                                  OK, its true that the choice of which to play was made at least six weeks ago. So the exact situation wouldn't have been known. However Julia has been hovering around ~9-10 in the standings for a few months. It was fairly predictable that this might happen.

Comment

Edmund wins his first ever ATP singles title in a high class three setter against Gael Monfils.

Comment

It would be hilarious if Isner and A N Other big server were to play a 500 point tie-break at the end of a match next Wimbledon.

(But vanishingly improbable of course.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longes...aker_in_tennis)

Comment

Wozniacki has rheumatoid arthritis.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/45984375

I'm glad she finally got her slam and had another (brief) spell at no.1 earlier this year.

Comment

Golly. That is terrible news. Poor Caro. And yes, it's good that she got the high in in time.
                                          My mind goes back to the revelation that Candida Doyle of Pulp already had this when that band was hitting it big. The interview with Doyle is still up on the BBC website.

Comment

Due partly to the slighly quirky ATP rules on points expiry in relation to the Tour Finals, which result in last year's Paris Master and Tour Finals points dropping off in the same week, Jack Sock's "live" ranking has just lost 1,390 points (namely 1000 from Paris 2017 and 400 from Tour Finals 2017, net of the 10 points he's earned so far in Paris for turning up), and plummted 127 places from 23rd to 150th.

Comment

Are women still being sexualized in this sport, in pictures like this?

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...tephens-tennis

Comment

Sock actually won a match against a decent level of opponent, Richard Gasquet. He evidently likes this Paris tournament.

Comment

Nadal withdraws injured from Paris. That means Djokovic will end this week at no.1, and also the year as Nadal won't play the O2. Talking of which, I've got a spare ticket for Sunday 11th Nov, afternoon session. The usual people I go with can't make it, so do any of the people on this thread want it?
                                                  Last edited by Janik; 04-11-2018, 09:25. Reason: date was wrong!

Comment

Bump, just in case anyone missed the offer of an afternoon watching Tennis in London. N.B. the ticket is free, as these were a present...

Comment

Working...
                                                    X