No announcement yet.

From despair TO where: Rugby League 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This week we have Wigan and Hull playing a Super League fixture in Wollongong, before they go on a double date in Sydney the following week with Souths and St George.

This is being made possible by Australian quangos' willingness to throw money around to host events and attract visitors, and it's working to an extent with 5,000 Wigan fans alone reported to be travelling from the UK and form elsewhere in Australia (I stress reported).

Comment

I'm in Sydney and haven't seen anything about it in the local press....

Comment

Tonight's match is something of an occasion too: McGuire and HKR playing Leeds at Elland Road.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
          Tonight's match is something of an occasion too: McGuire and HKR playing Leeds at Elland Road.
          Was at the game. Leeds looked sloppy throughout but the weather didn't really help. Certainly Hull KR played a lot better than expected and can count themselves a bit unlucky.

Had stupidly forgotten to check my tickets and ended up having to sit about three rows in front of the Rhinos "band". Seriously, fuck that load of shite...

Comment

Is the Leeds Rhinos band the same bunch that attend Sheffield Wednesday (and England) football games?

Comment

Originally posted by Me Old Flower View Post
              Is the Leeds Rhinos band the same bunch that attend Sheffield Wednesday (and England) football games?
              I believe so.

Comment

The Wigan v Hull game had a reported crowd of 12,416 (larger than the average of the three SL games between the two sides last year, or possibly higher than all three, I can't remember) and the good burghers of Woolongong seemed happy with what they got out of it. The talk now is of more SL games in Australia, NRL games in London and/or double headers of SL and NRL games in London or Manchester. They could maybe spend the considerable air fares and hotel costs on promoting their own games better in their countries rather than flying across the world in search of a crowd, but hey ho, if it works it works.

Closer to home, the Cumbrian clubs have avoided each other in the Challenge Cup - Kells hosting Whitehaven and BB&F's mates Distington hosting Workington, up their respective hills, would have been worth cancelling all other plans for, but not to be.

[Note, they would of course have switched the games to the pro clubs' grounds anyway].
                Last edited by Walt Flanagans Dog; 14-02-2018, 20:57.

Comment

Come on Leeds...

Comment

Get the feeling it was the NRL and Melbourne club officials who were lukewarm on this match; the players themselves certainly seem like they want to be there at least.

Comment

Ah feck, I think that's killed the contest.

Comment

Great inside run from the winger, mind you. Half time, 18-4.

Comment

Well, this is only going to get worse.

Comment

If anyone wants to catch a game of RL this afternoon then York - Bradford is being streamed live and free on Propersport's Facebook page later.

Comment

Well, that was a great game. Bradford won the game with a penalty on the full time hooter. Crowd just shy of 4,300, which is great for a third tier fixture.

Comment

I see the first game of the West Wales Raiders went well. It was called off without starting, as the attending doctor didn't have all the required equipment. I bet the players and fans of Newcastle were delighted to have a pointless trip to Llanelli.

Comment

Challenge Cup third round draw:

Saturday, February 24

Kells v British Army (2.00pm)
                                  Normanton Knights v Batley Boys (2.00pm)
                                  Askam v York City Knights (2.30pm)
                                  Plikington Recs v Millom (2.30pm)
                                  Hunslet Club Parkside v Workington Town (2.30pm)

Sunday, February 25

Hemel Stags v Newcastle Thunder (2.00pm)
                                  North Wales Crusaders v Keighley Cougars (2.30pm)
                                  Coventry Bears v Distington (3.00pm, live on BBC Sport)
                                  Bradford Bulls v West Wales Raiders (3.00pm)
                                  Hunslet v Oulton Raiders (3.00pm)
                                  Doncaster v Myton Warriors (3.00pm)
                                  Whitehaven v London Skolars (3.00pm)
                                  Oldham v Featherstone Lions (3.00pm)

Comment

After the positive test for cocaine last autumn, Hardaker has been sacked by Castleford.

Comment

Went to see Kells play and comprehensively beat the British Army on Saturday - I overheard some of the Army players talking on the way back to the clubhouse, bemoaning that they didn't have a full strength team as some players hadn't been made available for the weekend. Anyway good afternoon out and looking forward to the draw - if Kells get another home tie they'll probably have to play it at Whitehaven's ground.

Meanwhile, this WTF gem from a fluff piece on the BBC website about sports invented in Britain:

The first official international rugby match took place in 1871, played between England and Scotland. Rugby league, a variation on the sport, was created in France in 1934.

Comment

They could only have topped that for lack of awareness by writing something along the lines of "England were one of the dominant nations in Rugby's Home Championship until 1895, when most of their best forwards inexplicably disappeared off the face of the earth, leaving them without a title until 1910."

Comment

And Kells' reward is a home tie against Toronto. Hoping that gets played on the Saturday as I'm busy on the Sunday, but as mentioned they'll probably have to play it at Whitehaven's ground and they are also at home - and also it's an obvious choice for BBC coverage.

Meanwhile in the wacky globe trotting circus that RL has become, it is confirmed that England will play New Zealand in June. In ........
                                          Denver.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                                            Meanwhile in the wacky globe trotting circus that RL has become, it is confirmed that England will play New Zealand in June. In ........
                                            Denver.
                                            If the Hearns are coming onboard then that may not be the end of the wackiness.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                                              And Kells' reward is a home tie against Toronto. Hoping that gets played on the Saturday as I'm busy on the Sunday, but as mentioned they'll probably have to play it at Whitehaven's ground and they are also at home - and also it's an obvious choice for BBC coverage.

Denver.
                                              June 23rd at son of Mile High Stadium a/k/a the 60,000 seat Broncos home stadium.

Comment

Comment

I see that the summer sport had a game called off for snow...

Comment

The NRL is now underway. Dragons recorded a great win over the Broncos yesterday and Newcastle - Manly has just gone to golden point at 18 apiece.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X