The Road to Bilbao and Beyond: Rugby 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
    Gethin Jenkins has announced his retirement, he'll play his last game on Sunday. When the dust settles I think we'll come to realise what an immense player he was.
    I think I realised it when he won us the 2005 Grand Slam ;

Last edited by Ray de Galles; 31-10-2018, 23:54.

Comment

Try of the season for Jersey in the Championship?

https://twitter.com/russellearnshaw/status/1058803119755329538?s=21

Comment

How on earth did that cunt Farrell get away with this cheap shot yesterday?:

https://twitter.com/rugbylad7/status/1058767238839369728?s=21

A disgusting decision that decided the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
          Gethin Jenkins has announced his retirement, he'll play his last game on Sunday. When the dust settles I think we'll come to realise what an immense player he was.
          That game, Cardiff v Zebre, is live on Freesports now, Eddie Butler commentary too.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
            How on earth did that cunt Farrell get away with this cheap shot yesterday?:

https://twitter.com/rugbylad7/status/1058767238839369728?s=21

A disgusting decision that decided the game.
            That's the first time I've seen it. It's much worse than described in the press, no arms at best but at worst a blow to the head and a ban.

Comment

A peculiar but welcome win for Wales against Australia today, finally! No tries but tense, absorbing stuff with defences on top and the breakdown being (unsurprisingly with the personnel in the two back rows) the key battle.

The other sub-plot was the penalties not scored. The usually metronomic Halfpenny missed two eminently kickable ones for Wales while Australia spurned two of their own for kicking to the corner and screwing up the resulting line-out. It all felt more like our recent meetings with South Africa than our usual matches against the Aussies.

Funny to see non rugby player Courtney Lawes twice cost England victory against the All Blacks, firstly by not knowing the offside law and then in the final passage of play throwing a pass you’d be ashamed of from an 11 year old. It could have only been funnier if a Glasgow player appeared at Itoje’s shoulder while he celebrated the “winning” try and pointed at the video screens.
              Last edited by Ray de Galles; 12-11-2018, 12:58.

Comment

Any US posters see their game (and first win) against Samoa? Sounds like quite a match.

Comment

Stuart Hogg has decided to leave Glasgow Warriors at the end of the season, it appears he's off to Exeter.

Comment

Any US posters see their game (and first win) against Samoa? Sounds like quite a match.
                    No, as it was stuck on some obscure streaming service that USA Rugby sold the rights to. But it looks like World Rugby has uploaded it to YouTube, so I'll watch tonight.

A win against Samoa was a long time coming. The USA's lost five Test matches to Samoa, none of them by more than nine points, and several of them were winnable.

I hadn't really expected this, because I am a lifelong Eagle sceptic (probably a reaction to the people who say "The US would dominate rugby if they just got some NFL cast offs!*") but in retrospect, basically professionalizing the US team through Major League Rugby is paying some serious dividends in Year 1. We actually won this game without Samu Manoa and Aj McGinty, which would have meant game over for us a few years ago.

* The only person that has ever worked with was Dan Lyle. Who is just a great athlete and a real smart guy.

Comment

Also, I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought Wales-Oz was gripping stuff as the media opinion seems to be it was awful.

Comment

England providing ‘public service’ to other nations, says Eddie Jones

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...y_to_clipboard

Time for Uncle Eddie to deflect away from his team by spouting shite. He riles me and it's designed to do that. Ok, so I'll bite.

Shields, Hughes, Vunipola brothers, Teo'o and Solomona to name six. Hartley is seven.

Comment

Originally posted by Flynnie View Post
                          Also, I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought Wales-Oz was gripping stuff as the media opinion seems to be it was awful.
                          Missed the first half, saw the score and assumed it was boring but did find the second half engaging if not gripping and, obviously, the result was much appreciated.

Comment

Lots of rugby again today, Scotland versus South Africa is on BBC and BT Sport and then Channel Four have Ireland versus New Zealand. I'll not bother with Wales earlier.

Comment

Very intense first half in Dublin - if anything, Ireland unlucky to only lead 9-6, dominating line-outs and general play so far.
                              Last edited by Diable Rouge; 17-11-2018, 21:06.

Comment

First ever Irish victory over the All Blacks on home soil - let the World Cup bandwagon officially begin!

Comment

United States 31
                                  Romania 5

In Romania.

Ireland in Dublin next Saturday.

2019 America's Championship: Away to Chile, away to Argentina XV, home to Brazil in Houston, home to Uruguay and Canada (but Canada is somehow the home team) in Seattle.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
                                    First ever Irish victory over the All Blacks on home soil - let the World Cup bandwagon officially begin!
                                    Given their head, Ireland will completely kill rugby.

Comment

https://twitter.com/rugbycanada/status/1066083968439607296?s=21

Comment

I don’t think I’ve ever been so happy to see a commentator retire as I am with that old monkey felcher Ian Robertson sodding off today.

A truly terrible radio voice, an awful reader of the game as well as having a real dearth of wider knowledge about it. He’s also rugby’s Alan Green in his slavish Stockholm Syndrome support of England.

Good riddance.
                                        Last edited by Ray de Galles; 24-11-2018, 12:18.

Comment

“This is the one, it’s coming back for Jonny Wilkinson...”

“He drops for World Cup glory... IT’S UP, IT’S OVER, HE’S DONE IT!”

Comment

Exactly, not fit to carry Bill McLaren’s notes. A commentating pigmy.

Good to see Wales get the clean sweep of AIs but personally frustrating not to make it to any. Not sure we’ve really cut loose on anyone except Tonga and the schedule meant we didn’t face the acid test of the All Blacks but defence was outstanding and the strength in depth is as good as I can recall in a long while.

Devastating to see MOTM Ellis Jenkins stretchered off with a knee ligament injury that must mean he’s out of the 6N which is terrible timing for him.
                                            Last edited by Ray de Galles; 24-11-2018, 21:49.

Comment

Fiji beat France 14-21 in Paris, a stunning result.

Comment

Farrelll breaking the laws with a blatant cheap shot and gets away with it yet again :

https://twitter.com/stirproftip/status/1066588089773117440?s=21
                                                Last edited by Ray de Galles; 25-11-2018, 10:01.

Comment

I don’t think I’ve ever been so happy to see a commentator retire as I am with that old monkey felcher Ian Robertson sodding off today.

A truly terrible radio voice, an awful reader of the game as well as having a real dearth of wider knowledge about it. He’s also rugby’s Alan Green in his slavish Stockholm Syndrome support of England.

Good riddance.
                                                  I see you too post on Gwlad!. I'll give you two guesses as to who I am. It's not hard.

Robertson is even worse than Green because he actually *played* for Scotland. The absolute delight in his voice when England would score even in Calcutta Cup games was fucking risible.

Rugby is a little short on great commentators, in my book. Obviously McLaren laps the field as the greatest ever, nobody anywhere denies this. Second best? I don't know...well before my time but Cliff Morgan probably. Third best? God knows. The Kiwis would probably argue for Keith Quinn but it's slim pickings.

I always liked John Taylor (mega fucking giveaway) but he seems to have only done World Cups and not even that anymore sadly.
                                                  Last edited by Flynnie; 26-11-2018, 10:25.

Comment

I still love Butler, much as he's firmly in to the self-parody stage that every commentator reaches eventually. You're right in that Taylor has always been criminally under-used (I'm sure I've heard him more often as a stadium announcer, didn't he do that job at Twickenham during RWC 2015).

I've never posted on Gwlad! and haven't even looked at it for years but an old friend was very active on it and I follow a few other major contributors on social media via him. I think the distaste for Monkey Felcher goes much wider than that site too.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X