The Road to Bilbao and Beyond: Rugby 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
    Itoje is constantly off side and always putting his elbows on the ground when jackling in the ruck, I'm surprised he's not picked up for this more and that in the pre match meeting with the referee teams don't ask for clarification on this. Easy to spot and stop.
    I was shouting this at the telly yesterday. He's always two yards offside, and can't hold his body-weight at the breakdown. And is an absolute prize bellend.

Comment

As usual, Saracens got the benefit of the decisions with Itoje's constant flopping over the ruck and most other incidents yesterday. Their try was allowed after the decisive pass came from a man who had already slid over the touchline.

They are an almost uniquely loathsome club (and would be so but for Franchise RFC up in Coventry's existence), I've got a ticket to Cardiff's game there in December and fear I may explode with rage.

Comment

I've had some pleasant times at Sarries but...yeah, I'm sorry, Itoje should be picking up his teeth for doing that move to the Glasgow players. That's the kind of arseholery that used to be punished severely 20 years ago, and everybody agreed to look the other way when it happened (usually at the bottom of a ruck).

Comment

Racing 3-12 down after 25 minutes at home to Ulster who are a man down due to a yellow card. They make a very early tactical switch at scrum half with Iribaren coming on for Chauveau. Five minutes later Irabaren has scored one try, made another and it’s 17-12. Now 20-12 at half time.
          Last edited by Ray de Galles; 20-10-2018, 17:56.

Comment

You can just see the outline of a penalty area on the pitch at La Défense Arena, has there been football played there?

Comment

In June, there was a "Masters" match between a France 98 select and a "FIFA" team of a similar vintage to mark the 20th anniversary of France's first World Cup.

That's the only football match I'm aware of having been played there.

Comment

Finn Russell is having a great game, takes the ball from a scrum on Racing’s own 22, collects his own chip forward and then a lovely inside pass to Teddy Thomas running a great line for a bonus point fourth try, 37-12.

Comment

Annoyingly, ESPN appears not to have renewed the US rights this season.

Also annoyingly, the "La Défense Arena" isn't really in "La Défense"

Comment

I did wonder, some kind of business park sponsorship deal it appears.

Comment

It’s a naming rights deal with the development company, but it is sort of like the O2 being called the Isle of Dogs Arena (though in the French case, it is a huge cemetery rather than a river that separates them).

Comment

Bath's Bruce Craig throws his toys out of the pram.

Comment

Castres beat Exeter at home despite a red card. Danny Cipriani got any early red as Gloucester lost at Munster.

When are players going to learn two simple things, there are cameras everywhere and any contact with the head is going to be a red and a probable ban.

I've had rugby on most of the day on mute so not really watched much of it and not heard any analysis but it's already looking like Leinster versus Saracens in Newcastle unless a French side does something spectacular in a knock out game.

Comment

I am no expert but, surely, Toulouse are a good shout?

Comment

Nothing been mentioned on here about Christian Wade quitting Wasps and union to attempt to make it in American Football, he's the third highest try scorer in English rugby but only ever got one cap and has consistently been ignored by various coaches.

Comment

https://youtu.be/6Amrn4py6No

Nigel Owens again. This time he tells Simon Zebo off for a bit of unsportsmanlike conduct, minor compared to Itoje, and makes him apologise to the player.

A genuinely class moment which the vast majority of people agreed with, including Zebo himself.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                                  Nothing been mentioned on here about Christian Wade quitting Wasps and union to attempt to make it in American Football, he's the third highest try scorer in English rugby but only ever got one cap and has consistently been ignored by various coaches.
                                  Yes, a mate was telling me this pre-Wasps/Bath and was, obviously, hoping it would have a negative impact on Wasps which was half-right.

Apparently, NFL scouts have been sniffing around Rugby for a bit and Christian Scotland Williamson has already switched. He is only in the practice squad presently and hardly made as much an impact as Wade.

Comment

I think Wade may struggle. Not tall enough for WR, not big enough for RB. Maybe punt return, special teams. But he's going to have to learn to run with 3 tons of body armour while looking through a letter box.

Comment

Eden Park in Auckland today hosts the domestic final in the World's Greatest Rugby Nation TM.

Admission is free. Which is very generous, or savvy marketing, or ... another reminder that provincial NZ rugby is struggling.

Comment

New Zealand’s coach Steve Hansen suggests 16-week off-seasons for all

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...y_to_clipboard

Hansen talks sense. Especially when England and France are extending their seasons and needing players.

Surely an international rugby season with a 3 or 4 month break is not only possible but financially a benefit to all.

Comment

The Autumn Internationals start this weekend and it seems a very low key build up to them this year. I don’t know if that’s just me (as I won’t be able to make any) or a more widespread feeling about them.

I know Wales opening up with a match against Scotland while Ireland host Italy is absurd and contributes to the underwhelming prospect.

Comment

I don't keep a massive eye on such things but it surprised me that they were starting - probably for the reasons you mention. Barbarians/Argentina - which, unfortunately, I can't make - has been more on my radar but that is more down to Facebook algorithms. I suppose, being a bandwagon-jumper, I may have noticed more if Wales were playing the All Blacks.
                                            Last edited by Bored Of Education; 31-10-2018, 10:58.

Comment

Baa-Baas games against opponents like Argentina would be great if they didn't put them in venues like Twickenham which are way too large. I doubt they will do much more than half fill the ground, perhaps less, and the atmosphere in those circumstances is never what it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                                                Eden Park in Auckland today hosts the domestic final in the World's Greatest Rugby Nation TM.

Admission is free. Which is very generous, or savvy marketing, or ... another reminder that provincial NZ rugby is struggling.
                                                Expanding the Super 12 and the Tri-Nations to essentially prop up Australian rugby is proving to be one of the worst decisions in rugby history. They had a perfect product and screwed it up. And they need to get the All Blacks playing in their domestic competitions again.

What's remarkable is how easily the NZ public just gave up on provincial rugby. The Currie Cup is not in rude health but it's much better off than the NPC, because South African rugby fans really treasure the Currie Cup. I get the impression hardly anybody in NZ cares unless it's a Ranfurly Shield game.
                                                Last edited by Flynnie; 31-10-2018, 14:42.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                                  Baa-Baas games against opponents like Argentina would be great if they didn't put them in venues like Twickenham which are way too large. I doubt they will do much more than half fill the ground, perhaps less, and the atmosphere in those circumstances is never what it should be.
                                                  Good point. They should put it somewhere with a good atmosphere like Kingsholm

Comment

Gethin Jenkins has announced his retirement, he'll play his last game on Sunday. When the dust settles I think we'll come to realise what an immense player he was.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X