No announcement yet.

The Road to Bilbao and Beyond: Rugby 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Williams and Allen both played in the Exeter 7s last weekend, where they were beaten by Portugal in the Quarters, but won all five other matches. The first game this weekend is a knock-out tie with Zimbabwe - no group game this time. Winner plays USA, to see who goes through to the quarter-finals. It's a new structure.

https://www.rwcsevens.com/fixtures-men

Comment

There’s still a bowl competition for first round losers, no? Anyone go any sense of how well the tournament has sold?

UK coverage appears to confined to highlights on ITV4 and S4C as far as I can see, though it seems surprising to have no live coverage. I suppose the time zones may be a factor in that.

Comment

Originally posted by Бога Нет View Post
        There’s still a bowl competition for first round losers, no? Anyone go any sense of how well the tournament has sold?

UK coverage appears to confined to highlights on ITV4 and S4C as far as I can see, though it seems surprising to have no live coverage. I suppose the time zones may be a factor in that.
        Yes it goes into bowl/plate shenanigans, so teams don't get only one match. It splits into Championship/Challenge/Bowl, with eight teams in each, and a game for every team to fix their position from 23/24 to the final. I think it works out as five games for each team.

Comment

Bloody hell, Sam Warburton has retired!

Comment

There are noises that attendance will be down on recent years in Las Vegas, notwithstanding the larger venue. Ticket prices are likely to have something to do with that if it happens.

Comment

The cheapest ticket is US$131, which strikes me as absurd.

Comment

You're kidding, for a day not the whole weekend?!

Comment

Yep. Weekend tickets were like $300.

Comment

We discussed Le Coq Sportif’s designs for the French XV in the football kit thread, this is their Sevens offering :

Comment

This is Nike’s Argentina Sevens. It’s not a change shirt, they have a concept to explain it.

Comment

By the way, the tournament appear to be being shown live on it’s Facebook page.

Comment

I really like that French shirt. They wore it last week at the Exeter 7s.

Comment

Quarter finals:

Scotland v South Africa
                            USA v England
                            Argentina v Fiji
                            France v New Zealand

Comment

Womens semis:

New Zealand v USA
                              Australia v France

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                Everything I've read about this sounds like an obituary. Really sad news.

Comment

https://twitter.com/unionargentina/status/1024767224882507776

https://twitter.com/unionargentina/s...67224882507776

Comment

No surprise that, hopefully it'll work out as well for them as it did with Los Jaguares but until they can pick all of their players then we'll not see the best from the Pumas.

Comment

This is brilliant

https://twitter.com/TheSpinoffTV/status/1027034929182306305

https://twitter.com/TheSpinoffTV/sta...34929182306305

Comment

Yes, excellent piece - I must show my mum it.

Comment

yawn, just another piece about what a prince Cliff Morgan was.

Comment

All Blacks win the Bledisloe Cup for the 16th consecutive year, beating Australia 40-12 at Eden Park.

Four tries for Beauden Barrett.

I can recall when Australia used to win this.

Comment

Some fun and games in store at Rotherham on Saturday as both the rugby and cricket teams are scheduled to play at home on the shared ground. It's a dispute that's been bumping along for circa 20 years but has bubbled up again now with strong language like "trespass" being used. Both are claiming primacy of tenure - the cricket club as we haven't yet reached the time of year when rugby takes preference, whereas the rugby club claim to have a letter from the cricketers saying that rugby will always be given priority. The cricket club won't reverse their fixture as they need to win the game in their battle against relegation. The rugby club seem to have made a half-arsed attempt to reverse their fixture (to London) but it hasn't gone anywhere. There's no sport scheduled for the ground on Sunday but it seems neither club will back down, so not clear how this will ultimately play out.

Comment

Looks as if the Rotherham ground situation is going to fall in rugby's favour thanks to a mixture of bullying, heavy handed tactics and a disingenuous statement.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/rotherham-titans-invoke-rules-to-force-rotherham-town-cricket-club-off-of-clifton-lane-1-9327888

Bear in mind that one of the purposes behind building the New York Stadium was to end these disputes as the rugby club was slated to play there. The rugbyers chose to opt out of the project at the earliest possible opportunity for no publicly stated reason.

Comment

The All Blacks are playing Argentina in Nelson tomorrow, the first time that city (town, really) has staged a rugby test.

Sadly, all internationals in NZ are evening kick-offs now (blame telly) so the South Island scenery will be invisible. Missed an opportunity there. Temporary stands in darkness and exposed to the elements don't exactly say "come visit".

Comment

I was trying to work out why they were playing in a small Lancastrian town...

Comment

Working...
                                                    X