No announcement yet.

The Road to Bilbao and Beyond: Rugby 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Premiership Rugby has declined to sell a majority stake to CVC. This is the CVC who previously owned F1 and were accused of extracting as much money for themselves as possible, jacking up the hosting fees by taking the races to state-backed venues, not investing in the sport and, in moving to more lucrative subscription TV channels, overseeing a decline in audience of 137 million from 2010-2016.

I would say the Premiership has wisely dodged a bullet there.

Comment

Half time in the All Blacks - Springoks game and the Boks are up 17-21. It's a very loose game with a number of handling errors on each side. I can't see the lead lasting but it's an exciting game so far.

Comment

Argentina 14-17 up at half time against Australia on the Gold Coast, though they are dressed as France/Italy in some two-tone blue hybrid.
        Last edited by Ray de Galles; 15-09-2018, 11:24.

Comment

I can't remember the last time I had real interest watching the ABs playing in the "Rugby Championship". The rugby might surpass the Six Nations but the drama doesn't. Tonight was different. South Africa have done everyone a huge favour, it was a gripping game and the reactions at the end were a delight. Like, it really mattered - at last.

What odds on Beauden Barrett needing to go into hiding after the RWC semi final, 2019?

Comment

Fantastic finish to the game. A match-winning tackle on Folau on the line in the very final move pops the ball up, forward and out of play leaving Argentina 19-23 victors.

An error-strewn, nervy but hugely exciting second half characterised by poor handling from both sides and immense defence from Argentina, typified by the finale.
            Last edited by Ray de Galles; 15-09-2018, 12:09.

Comment

The Pumas first win in Australia in 35 years, the first time they’ve ever one more than one match in a Championship season and the end of a nine match away losing streak, I think.

They had a couple of tries disallowed too, one dubiously to my mind.
              Last edited by Ray de Galles; 15-09-2018, 21:16.

Comment

Also the first time the All Blacks have lost at home to a national side since 2009

Comment

Southern Kings defeat Glasgow Warriors for only their second ever win in the PRO14 .

Comment

Joe Marler has announced his decision to retire from international rugby immediately saying he wants to spend more time with his family and implying he doesn't need the pressure of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                      Joe Marler has announced his decision to retire from international rugby immediately saying he wants to spend more time with his family and implying he doesn't need the pressure of it.
                      He's denied it but in an interview he gives the impression that he deliberately got banned before England games to avoid going. Uncle Eddie must be a real shite.

Comment

But Marler’s clearly worse.

Comment

Japan's Rugby World Cup win against South Africa to be made into a movie

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                            But Marler’s clearly worse.
                            It appears he hated the training camps and all the bullshit that went with it and has said enough so fair play to him.

Uncle Eddie has lost backroom staff before this, something tells me there's a lot more to come out, especially if England flop in Japan.

Comment

I’m sorry but, if this story is true, I cannot see how it reflects worse on the coach than the player. If he didn’t want to be involved with England some time ago he should have just withdrawn or retired then.

The other side of this is Marler is probably trying to make excuses for years of shithousery which was punished with bans by pretending it was deliberately done to avoid international duty when we all know it’s because he’s a cunt.
                              Last edited by Ray de Galles; 03-10-2018, 21:00.

Comment

Marler has denied it to be fair Ray. I'm just thinking that it shows the kind of pressure he, and others, are being put under that they are either avoiding or quitting rugby at the highest levels. Alex Corbeisero(?) quit for example.

On the pitch there have also been some ridiculous acts of foul play involving strikes to the head that have been extremely leniently punished. Basteraud and the Connacht prop both got 5 or 6 week bans for striking prone opponents when imho they should have been banned for a season.

All this talk about rugby going soft is ridiculous, the most high profile Wales players who have had to retire due to injury all say they same. Players are not being protected.

Comment

Is this a fake account? Standard right-wing rubbish, by somebody claiming to be the old rugby suit ... ?

https://twitter.com/DavidMoffett47

Comment

Connacht win in Belfast for the first time since 1960.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
                                      Connacht win in Belfast for the first time since 1960.
                                      Ulster are having a shocking season so far, they conceded 60+ against Munster last week.

It's a Wales derby weekend as well. Gatland has apparently been helping out at the Dragons this week.

Comment

Exeter look like they are really good this season. It will be interesting to see if it translates to Europe, rather than just in the Premiership. And also if they will stay as expansive - if I remember right it was something like two-and-a-half games before they took a shot at goal from a penalty rather than kicking for touch.
                                        That club has had a remarkable rise. I can't think of a similar one elsewhere in Europe. All the other leading sides are the same clubs or successors of organisations who were at the top table 25 years ago.

Comment

Montpellier strike me as a French analogue, as do La Rochelle

Comment

European rugby is back.

Leinster haven't gone away. They are currently demolishing Wasps and have their bonus point with 25 minutes left.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                                              Exeter look like they are really good this season. It will be interesting to see if it translates to Europe, rather than just in the Premiership. And also if they will stay as expansive - if I remember right it was something like two-and-a-half games before they took a shot at goal from a penalty rather than kicking for touch.
                                              That club has had a remarkable rise. I can't think of a similar one elsewhere in Europe. All the other leading sides are the same clubs or successors of organisations who were at the top table 25 years ago.
                                              Somewhere around 1977 (probably after That Night In Rome, original Liverpool version) I got down on my Sunday school knees and said "Dear God, please let Exeter win the European Cup one day". Now I'm an atheist the bastard is going to prove he does exist and answers prayers ... cruelly.

Comment

Bath 17-7 up on Toulouse after thirty minutes with Priestland and Jamie Roberts to the fore.

Gawd, The Rec is always a beautiful sight, especially this time of year. I’m trying to think of another elite sports stadium that has a scattering of leaves across the pitch like a public park.

Comment

Stade Toulousian have been struggling domestically (sixth with a negative point difference), but aren't anywhere nearly as bad off as Toulon, who are 12th. Clermont leads the Top 14.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                                    Bath 17-7 up on Toulouse after thirty minutes with Priestland and Jamie Roberts to the fore.

Gawd, The Rec is always a beautiful sight, especially this time of year. I’m trying to think of another elite sports stadium that has a scattering of leaves across the pitch like a public park.
                                                    Well, it is technically a public(-ish) park whatever Bath Rugby think. Local gripes aside, I am enjoying this game. Obviously, have somewhat split loyalties coming into this as, although I live in Bath, I don't really have any connection to them(aside from, like you, enjoying the views of the city). However, it is a very Welsh Bath team influence if not in numbers and I loved that Jamie Roberts try. Having said that, Priestland has just missed a kick. On the other hand, I love French rugby and really fancy going to see Toulouse in their own stadium and they haven't disappointed. In some ways, it is good that it is a good open game that still could go either way.

Spurred on my the TV coverage, I tried to find information (and, possibly, footage) about the fly on the wall documentary series from the 90s that somewhat curtailed Baths "Man Utd of rugby" status. I can't find anything though. Does anyone remember what it was called? We watched it well before we even thought of moving here and, like you, were entranced by the ground and the way it sits in the middle of the city.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X