No announcement yet.

The Road to Bilbao and Beyond: Rugby 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ray, Romania had qualified after Spain lost the match with the Romanian ref to Belgium. That result put Spain in the playoff against Portugal. Russia got Romania's place in the Finals, and Germany got Spain's place in the repechage.

Romania hasn't missed many Finals before.

Comment

Ah, that’s what I was trying to say but erroneously used Romania instead of Spain regarding the play-off.

My main point was that Belgium didn’t lose out to Russia, as they were below them in the table anyway, but lost out in a notional chance to take Spain’s play-off spot had they not been found guilty of the same offence.

Comment

The Belgian case seems the most clear cut (and numerous) of the ineligible players. They don't even seem to be disputing it, they just want any fine limited to an amount that won't immediately bankrupt their union.
        Under strict liability, Romania don't look like they have much hope. The guy had played 7s for Tonga, playing 7s is enough to tie him to Tonga, but Romania never seemingly asked him about 7s or investigated it as a possibility. It's not quite Sharapova 'I didn't read the updated banned substances list' levels in egregiousness, but it's still looks a failure to discharge their responsibilities.
        Spain are the ones who might have a case, as strict liability there seems to be only running one way. You must follow the rules as they are written, apart from the areas where we subsequently decide they were mis-written when you must read between the lines, understand our underlying intentions and abide by those. CAS might ride to their rescue.
        Last edited by Janik; 15-05-2018, 22:20.

Comment

Think you’re being a bit generous to Spain there Janik. Under their interpretation the next most senior team for France didn’t exist for four years.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
            Ray, Romania had qualified after Spain lost the match with the Romanian ref to Belgium. That result put Spain in the playoff against Portugal. Russia got Romania's place in the Finals, and Germany got Spain's place in the repechage.

Romania hasn't missed many Finals before.
            They've not missed any, in fact. Qualified for every tournament before today.

Comment

World Rugby's admission in its report that it *might* be a good idea to have a database of captured players is rather shocking. Yeah, no shit guys, what the fuck have you been doing?

Comment

This seems broadly like a good thing, no?

Revealed: NZ Govt's secret plan to set up Pacific Islands Super Rugby team.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                  Can't see any problem with that, especially if it stops the player drain.

Comment

Pro14 and English Premiership play-off semi-finals this weekend. Glasgow v Scarlets tonight, Saracens v Franchise RFC tomorrow lunchtime and Leinster v Munster & Exeter v Newcastle tomorrow afternoon.

Comment

Scarlets are the only team to win away in the PRO14 and PRO12 semis, both sides have lost their first choice 15s in the run up to the game. It looks lovely in Glasgow this evening and I'm looking forward to the match.

Wales have lost three England based players for their summer tour as the premiership refused to allow players to be released outside of the test window. The three are Tomas Francis, Luke Charteris and Josh Adams. George North and Ross Moriarty would have been affected but they have negotiated an early release from their contracts.

Comment

Perfect start for the Scarlets and ill discipline from Glasgow.

Comment

The Scarlets are on fire, three tries already and looking magnificent. The game is being played at a ridiculous pace.

Comment

Scarlets are playing unlike any other European side with their running lines, handling, and offloads. They’re like a Southern Hemisphere team but strong in the set piece.
                            Last edited by Ray de Galles; 18-05-2018, 19:47.

Comment

Leinster Scarlets in the PRO14 and Saracens Exeter in the premiership finals.

I really hope the Scarlets turn up and Leinster have a few injuries otherwise it could be very one sided.

Comment

Oh FFS.

Comment

Oh dear. Gloucester have said they'll pay to have tattoos corrected.

Ulster beat Ospreys to claim the final European Cup place.

Wales versus South Africa in Washington is looking like a farce as nearly half of the Wales squad will be playing for Scarlets in Dublin the week before and the England players not available. I'm expecting more call ups to fill the potential gaps. South Africa are apparently sending a weakened side due to players being injured or not released.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                                    Oh dear. Gloucester have said they'll pay to have tattoos corrected.
                                    I’m not sure ‘corrected’ is the right verb there... Looking forward to canvassing opinions among all the hardcore folks at work tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisJ View Post
                                      I’m not sure ‘corrected’ is the right verb there... Looking forward to canvassing opinions among all the hardcore folks at work tomorrow.
                                      It's not is it? Changed to match the ridiculous new logo.

Comment

Domestic finals tomorrow, English Premiership between Exeter and Saracens at 3pm and live on BT Sport, Pro14 between Scarlets and Leinster at 6pm on s4c and Sky Action. I'm popping along to the former with the boy to fill the afternoon.

Comment

Still at the semi-final stage in France.

Montpelier destroyed Lyon tonight (40-14) and will meet the winner of Racing-Castres at the Stade de France next weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                            Domestic finals tomorrow, English Premiership between Exeter and Saracens at 3pm and live on BT Sport, Pro14 between Scarlets and Leinster at 6pm on s4c and Sky Action. I'm popping along to the former with the boy to fill the afternoon.
                                            Hope you and the lad have a great time, Ray. I have friends who are Exeter fans so we trying to find a pub that will be showing it. As the champions league final is on later on I may find myself in the pub for a considerable part of the day.

Comment

Leinster destroying Scarlets, 40-18 in the final knockings.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
                                                Leinster destroying Scarlets, 40-18 in the final knockings.
                                                Two late tries made the score look respectable.

The turning point was just before half time when Sexton kicked twice and Leinster scored, the first Halfpenny knocked on and the second resulted in a penalty which they scored a try from. All from a scrum just outside their own 22. A 3 point lead had been turned into 10 and the Scarlets went into the break on a slight down.

The Scarlets were better than in the European semi but in the end Leinster were much better and are clearly the best side in Europe by a long way.

Shingler is out of the tour and is replaced by Josh Turnbull, Ashton Hewitt is also out. He was the replacement for Josh Adams and hasn't been replaced as yet.

Comment

Last week after the injuries suffered to Barclay and Willis on artificial pitches and the number of Scarlets players who couldn't train after suffering burns on the Glasgow pitch, there were again calls for these 4G pitches to be banned from players, Johnny McNichol was particularly outspoken.

There do seem to be more serious injuries on these pitches, especially suffered by visiting players and often to their knees when the foot is caught in the pitch. Apparently Leigh Halfpenny didn't want to return to the Blues because of the pitch and there are a number of players who are rested and don't play on them.

In the PR014 Glasgow and the Blues have them, in England Newcastle, Worcester and Saracens use them. If Newport County had been relegated the Dragons would have got one.

Comment

I think the particular problem with the burns suffered on the Glasgow pitch was how dry it was. It appears it wasn’t watered enough pre-match after a baking hot day. That said, there are obviously other issues with them, I wonder if World Rugby can take another look at their use.

Decent game at the English Premiership Final yesterday but Saracens were dominant once Exeter failed to make the most of their storming start. The Chiefs ran such one dimensional straight lines all game it was like watching Wales at their least imaginative and it played straight in to the hands of Saracens’ power game, ferocious defence, intelligent kicking and width.

The sight of The Rubbish Vunipola getting Man Of The Match in a major final is a depressing one though, his role could easily have been played by a wheelie bin full of bricks. He’s not a rugby player, just a sumo wrestler with a surprising burst of pace over five yards.

We shall not speak of the Pro14 Final ever again, in fact all in all it’s been a pretty appalling rugby season in terms of the identities of the major trophy winners.
                                                    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 27-05-2018, 19:05.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X