No announcement yet.

Auld Lang Syne - matchgoing thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kicking down in the first half against a club who normally wear red and black incomprehensibly wearing their change kit of light blue...

Comment

Bugger. A good Hampton move makes it 0-1.

Comment

Bollocks. A Stones attack breaks down and instantly the Hampton running-back* lookalike makes it two...

Or is it receiver?

Comment

Bastard's now got his hat-trick. I think. It definitely is 0-3.

Comment

There’s a very strong wind here. First half Exeter had it on their backs but it was blowing that hard they couldn’t build a decent move.

Comment

Hmm. Second half Exeter look lethal and Newport have become shit. 1-1 so far but only one winner unless we change something.

Comment

Great move and glorious strike from the Newport player who was about to be substituted. 2-1.

Comment

Not an awful lot has happened in this half except for the Beavers' WAGs taking over my usual seating area...

Comment

Finishes 0-3. Still, a late Rotherham equaliser lifts my mood...

Comment

Went and watched Skelmersdale "host" Prescot this afternoon, although as Skem are groundsharing at Valerie Park the majority of the crowd seemed to be supporting Prescot. As a contest this was pretty much over after 15 minutes, by which time Cables were 3-0 up. They added another before half time and a couple more in the second half before Skem got a consolation. Prescot should have got a seventh but one of their strikers managed to miss an open goal from the dye of the six yard box. Horrible weather throughout. The result, combined with South Shields defeat by Scarborough, means Prescot go top of the league, although they have played half a dozen games more than the sides behind them.

Going to Prescot meant I missed Southport's win for four months, 3-0 over Chorley.

Comment

Canvey Island 3-0 Aveley
                        Isthmian Division one north
                        Att: 223
                        £10 admission
                        Lady in snack bar asks if you would like pepper in your bovril

An Essex derby which Canvey won after being 3-0 up at halftime. I was surprised the game was on to be honest as it had been bucketing down with rain all morning and a walk down the pier saw me arrive back home drenched. But the game started in sunlight as the Philadelphia Express, an American flagged container ship drifted behind the goal into London Gateway. The lowering sun made it difficult to see so I switched to the other end of the ground where as luck would have it I saw all three Canvey goals. Two were a screw up by the Aveley number 6 for poor defending and two were from corners. The second half never really got going and back on the Canvey terrace it got cold underneath a shimmering moon.

I was cold so I left 2 minutes before the end. I didn't miss anything.

Comment

Sheffield Wednesday 0-3 Burton Albion

Fucking hell that was appalling. Apart from Joe Wildsmith and maybe Morgan Fox they should be thoroughly ashamed of their "performance". Jacob Butterfield, Jordan Rhodes and Ross Wallace were particularly disgraceful, there was an incident midway through the second half when a fan got the ball, banged his fist on his chest and was met with a volley of abuse and a demand to throw the ball back quickly from Wallace. Following which he proceeded to dally for ages over the taking of the free kick.

Wildsmith saved an early penalty and the chant of "he's one of our own" was particularly heartfelt. All the goals were awful defending, especially the first where five of ours stood and let their man past. Burton were competent and kept their shape well.

At half time they announced the first half highlights which was met with a round of mocking laughter.

Will offer some wider thoughts on Meire etc on the D2 thread when I've had my tea.

Comment

During his post-match interview on Radio Wales Newport’s manager described the first ten minutes of the second half (the period when the game swung in Exeter’s favour) as looking “like the boys had been on the drink at half-time”. He’s very definitely a Newport boy.

Comment

We chucked a win away in the 95th minute of the game thanks to the ineptitude of the fattest referee I have seen for quite some time.

Comment

Bit late checking back in, but:

Ipswich 1-2 Derby (Saturday)

Wrapped up nice and warm for this, the boy's first match. He was skipping along holding our hands to the ground and as we rounded the back of the North stand (the Bobby) who should meet us but Bluey horse, high fives at the ready. Checked in with our stupidly large A4 print at home tickets (why can't they print three on one sheet, eh?) and settled down the best part of an hour before kick off. He enjoyed drinking it all in, and as we were in the lower section near the tunnel he got an autograph from Bart coming out for GK practice. Then the star of the show came out again - Bluey. He signed the programme with a Sharpie he keeps in his sock. Then he hurdled the hoardings and followed us back to our seat where he teased our son by stealing his hat and putting it on his snout. A real pro and a credit to the club.

On to the match and my word Portman Road has lost its atmosphere since I last went (about 8 years, blimey). The Derby fans were duly taking the piss, asking 'Is this a library?' and shushing.

Derby deserved the win though I'm pleased our son got to see and cheer his team scoring. You can't beat that. And there was some definite tension at the end with Town pushing for the equaliser.

Sam Winall's second was a fine strike, one of those you know is going in the moment it's struck. I appreciate that longeared will not be comforted to know that the forward his team froze out appears to be quite a player, especially linking up with Vydra.

The referee ruined the flow of the game, blowing up every time someone sent over. The match seemed in fact to drag longer than pre-match or half time...

So, yeah, good to be back in the crowd.

Comment

Wolves v Brentford

Three consecutive wins for Brentford over Christmas but this could be a bridge too far.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                    Kicking down in the first half against a club who normally wear red and black incomprehensibly wearing their change kit of light blue...
                                    Wealdstone also wore their away kit at Hampton on Boxing Day, you know.,,

And yes, it was a hattrick for their centre-forward. After his first goal he went over to the sideline and hugged three people, who I assume were his parents and either partner or sister. So at least somebody enjoyed the game. Wealdstone were terrible, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                                      Wealdstone also wore their away kit at Hampton on Boxing Day, you know.,,
                                      To be fair, Hampton’s shirts are red & blue (not black) stripes so both clubs may have perceived a clash with Wealdstone’s blue ones.

Comment

Day trip to Dunfermline for me today. Pretty comfortable win for the home team which keeps them in the race for a playoff place. Visitors Falkirk were poor and will probably think themselves lucky to have lost by only two goals. They also are in the running for a playoff place, but in their case it will be to avoid relegation.

One of the fans near me got rather overexcited when Dunfermline scored their first. He decided to take off his shirt, revealing his rotund, hairy, tattoo covered body, and then did a lap of about half the stand. During his run around his jogging bottoms struggled to cope and a decent percentage of the crowd got to see a half moon. Thankfully he restrained himself for the second goal, managing with only a kiss of one of the stewards.

Comment

Also, at the risk of labouring the point, the Beavers' change strip seems to actually had relatively little light blue in it :

Comment

That's the bloke who got the hattrick. I'm going with running back rather than receiver. And a rather chunky centre-back who Wealdstone appear to have acquired since I last watched them near the start of the season.

Comment

I didn't really get the gridiron reference, something to do with his build/pace?

Comment

Build and hair. And anyway, on reflection, if he was playing American Football I would expect to see him at linebacker.
                                                Last edited by Janik; 03-01-2018, 19:38.

Comment

And, apparently, it was his debut for the Beavers.

Much doom and gloom on the Stones' forum...

Comment

Working...
                                                  X