Rogin's 2018 golf predictions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rogin's 2018 golf predictions

2018 throws up the real possibility that not one, not two but three players could all complete a career grand slam.

First up to that tee will be Rory McIlroy at the Masters. The expectation he might do this last year got to him a little (he finished 7th) and went on to have a bit of a faltering season, but he'll be back. Jordan Spieth and Rickie Fowler both challenged here last year before falling away, but Fowler seems to have remembered how to play on Sunday again so maybe we get the sight of a bloke in bright orange putting on a green jacket.

The US Open returns to Shinnecock Hills, a course that will again suit the long and steady guys like Dustin Johnson, Justin Rose and Branden Grace. May also be the last chance for Phil Mickelson to finally complete his career slam - Phil was second here in 2004, so knows he can play well here. Ray Floyd won here in 1986 aged 44 so Phil's age needn't be a barrier just yet.

The Open is at Carnoustie, which tends to throw up outside winners - Paul Lawrie, Padraig Harrington - and depending on the weather could be a bit of a lottery again. Sergio Garcia lost the playoff to Harrington in 2007, and is always there or there abouts at the Open, but I'll stick with my hope for a home winner. Chris Wood or Paul Casey maybe; and worth noting that the course record (63) is held by Tommy Fleetwood, who had such a great 2017.

The PGA goes to Bellerive, and if like me you like omens it was here in 1965 that Gary Player completed his slam. The man who can emulate that next year will be Jordan Spieth. Failing him, I'll go with my usual tip for the PGA - look out for a guy who's not won a major but has won a couple of times recently on tour, like Bob Tway, David Toms, and now Jimmy Walker and Justin Thomas.

The Ryder Cup ... doesn't bode well for Europe, looking at the form of Johnson, Spieth and Thomas. But we used to say that in the 80s ...
    Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 27-12-2017, 09:46.

When's the Open being held? We usually stay at Monifieth near Carnoustie, and would rather not be vying for space with the golfing hoards...

Comment

19th - 22nd July

Comment

Easiest prediction: Woods retires, all hope lost.

Comment

Working...
        X