No announcement yet.

January 2018 transfer window thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With all the revenue from player sales at inflated prices, Southampton must be richer than God by now.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
      With all the revenue from player sales at inflated prices, the people that own Southampton must be richer than God by now.
      Fixed.

Comment

Cenk Tosun on his way to Everton for £25 million. He was a really good player when he first arrived in Turkey, a bit like a poorer version of Harry Kane, and I hope that he makes it here. He was born and grew up in Germany and speaks good English so should be able to hit the ground running here.

Comment

Klopp has become Ron Atkinson in the Spitting Image sketch.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthdownRebel View Post
            I can only assume that figure includes a considerable amount of "sorry we tapped him up" money.
            About fifteen million quid's worth of sorry, I'd say.

Add that to the premium paid above the release clause fee for Naby Keita... it looks like somebody in this infamous transfer committee is reading their calculator upside down.

Comment

QPR and Stephen Caulker have parted company "by mutual agreement."

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                QPR and Stephen Caulker have parted company "by mutual agreement."
                Hope he's ok and can find a club in the next month.

Comment

Yes, but the signs aren't so good.

Comment

Just read that Southampton are apparently planning bids for Daniel Sturridge and Theo Walcott in January. Presumably the club must have a healthy regard for its own medical facilities.

Comment

Why don't they just sign Kieron Dyer and Jonathan Woodgate as well while they're at it.

Comment

I hear Darren Anderton and Vladimir Smicer are at a loose end

Comment

His name conjures images of a rufty-tufty, socks around his ankles, working class football hero. Presumably West Ham have got caught up in the imagery too as they brace themselves to swap 25 of their millions for young mistake-riddled Swansea centre back Alfie Mawson.

Comment

Mawson seems a vastly inferior version of Harry Maguire, a player I'm unsure about anyway.

A friend of mine always praises Maguire as he reminds him of himself. Good on the ball, unafraid to take players on in dangerous situations, turning up in areas where you don't normally find your centre half.

Consequently I always criticise Maguire as he reminds me of my friend. Constantly out of position, a massive hole in the centre of the defence where he should have been if he hadn't been caught on the ball.

Comment

Alfie Mawson sounds like it should be the name of a cockney villain though. Clearly David Moyes agrees.

Comment

harry Maguire played in the 2011 FA youth cup final, along with Paul pogba, jesse lingard, michael and will Keane, and Ravel Morrison. Jordan Slew was the Sheffield United player tipped for the top. well at least he's in the running for scoring a goal in all four divisions and scotland He just has to get one in the PL. And I'm not sure that's going to happen anytime soon.
                                Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 30-12-2017, 12:50.

Comment

Slew has been a UK record holder however. From his Wikipedia page:

In March 2015 he was caught by police speeding at 156 mph in his BMW M4 on the Cambridgeshire section of the A1, in what was the fastest recorded speed on a public road in the UK for more than three years

Comment

I can't decide if Harry Maguire sounds like a) an Irish victim of a british miscarriage of Justice in the 1970's. or b) the police man who fitted him up.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                      I can't decide if Harry Maguire sounds like a) an Irish victim of a british miscarriage of Justice in the 1970's. or b) the police man who fitted him up.
                                      Sounds like or looks like TAB? Yesterday his face looked rather puffy.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                                        Cenk Tosun on his way to Everton for £25 million. He was a really good player when he first arrived in Turkey, a bit like a poorer version of Harry Kane, and I hope that he makes it here. He was born and grew up in Germany and speaks good English so should be able to hit the ground running here.
                                        Some of which is strongly speculated to be spent on buying Cyle Larin from Orlando. They were wanting him last summer as well.

Fenerbace and Trabzonspor are rumored to be chasing Kemar Lawrence from the Red Bulls.

Comment

Burnley linked with Jozo Simunovic and Aaron Lennon. I'm not at all familiar with the former, but the latter would be a good fit given our lack of creativity since Brady's injury.

Comment

Slightly off topic, but can someone please confirm when the old 'transfer deadline' was? I have it in my head it was 5pm on the last Thursday in March.

Comment

"Former Manchester City flop" Jo has moved from Corinthians to Nagoya Grampus.

Comment

Originally posted by Reginald Christ
                                                My initial response to that was to say that Jeff Hendrick could be relied on to make things happen but then I remembered just how much he's regressed as a player since Euro 2016.
                                                He's being played as an attacking central midfielder in a 4-4-1-1 and suffice to say that it isn't working. Problem is, he can't drop back to central midfield because Cork and Defour have formed a tremendous partnership there. Cork is one of the great bargains - I simply cannot understand why Swansea were so happy to let him go.

Comment

Cork's a particularly under-rated player by many people. A Wales fan said to me a year ago that he was symbolic of all Swansea's problems and only a "half-decent Championship level player". I just don't think people appreciate a player who keeps and uses possession well without doing anything more showy.

Comment

Yeni Ngbakoto off to Guingamp, and Sean Goss on loan to Glasgow Rangers it seems. The attempt to reach a sustainable squad size by the end of the month has begun.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X