No announcement yet.

Cards against humanity.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me out here, what is the expected payoff? I see that it's a variation on the old "what's brown and sticky?" joke, but it really falls flat for me because unlike for that one I can't see what I'm supposed to anticipate as the likely answer to the question.

Comment

See also:

"How many Jews does it take to change a lightbulb?

Two: one to change the bulb and the other to hold the ladder steady."

I mean, once you get the pattern down, you could probably do it all night.
      And it doesn't need to be Jews, of course. It could be Muslim women.

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
        Help me out here, what is the expected payoff? I see that it's a variation on the old "what's brown and sticky?" joke, but it really falls flat for me because unlike for that one I can't see what I'm supposed to anticipate as the likely answer to the question.
        It's not a riddle: the teller doesn't want you to answer it. The setup sets the expectation of something uproariously racist, and it pulls the rug out from under them. It's a form of the shaggy-dog joke. It's not a big mic-drop show-ender, admittedly.

Comment

I probably shouldn't admit this but I had to have sw2boro explain WOM's joke to me as it left me completely baffled. I'm still not sure I get it. It plays on the audience's expectations of the punchline based on the fact that they are either racist or expecting the teller of the joke to be racist, is that right? But why does it have to be a woman in the set-up?
          Essentially, WOM's joke is a 'Bernard Righton' tribute. Example Righton line:

"An Englishman, an Irishman and a Pakistani walk into a bar. What a perfect example of racial integration."

The humour comes from subverting the expected punchline, and the satire of Bernard Manning etc. But these type of jokes don't work as well written down as when delivered by John Thomson in full 70's compere garb.

Comment

Correct.

Local variation: "Two Newfies walk into a bar. Second one broke his nose."

Comment

A priest, a rabbi and an imam walk into a bar. Bartender says "is this some kind of joke?"

Comment

Originally posted by nmfnp1977 View Post
                Essentially, WOM's joke is a 'Bernard Righton' tribute. Example Righton line:

"An Englishman, an Irishman and a Pakistani walk into a bar. What a perfect example of racial integration."

The humour comes from subverting the expected punchline, and the satire of Bernard Manning etc. But these type of jokes don't work as well written down as when delivered by John Thomson in full 70's compere garb.
                Bernard Righton was exactly what I was thinking about but, again, it worked because it subverted the racist construct.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                  Bernard Righton was exactly what I was thinking about but, again, it worked because it subverted the racist construct.
                  But the 'Muslim woman' is clearly a racist construct, too, no? It's predicated on your expectation of a racist punchline. How else could you read it?

Comment

Thanks all. That Bernard Righton joke gave me a chuckle.

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                    But the 'Muslim woman' is clearly a racist construct, too, no? It's predicated on your expectation of a racist punchline. How else could you read it?
                    Maybe the set-up is not racist-looking enough? When I read it I just thought "I don't know, what do you call her?" though admittedly that seems to just be me. But yes it subverts the construct in a similar manner, I don't think Bored was arguing otherwise.

Comment

Maybe the set-up is not racist-looking enough? When I read it I just thought "I don't know, what do you call her?"
                      Well, that's interesting too. You obviously bring a different life experience to the 'joke', so you didn't hear the same 'oh, here it comes' in the setup. Hmmm.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                        Oh, yeah, the set-up is a racist construct or, at least, possibly so. The punchline subverts it thereby the whole joke does.

Comment

Sigh. The word you are looking for is... "context".

He even drops the n-bomb.
                          Last edited by Snake Plissken; 03-01-2018, 23:01.

Comment

"When's the bus due?" did make me laugh. The rest suffers from diminishing returns because it's really one gag. N-bomb was fine by me but I am white and I'm still not sure how I'd feel if I were black.

Comment

It was always about the impact of the opening line with that act, which did make me laugh when I saw him perform it live. Watching it back twenty-plus years later, he could've taken it a lot further, IMO - but that's as seen through 2018-goggles.

Comment

There is something about Mr Thompson, that lends itself to the ... 'ohforfucksake' pause, whilst you ponder, "is it me, or is this actually funny?"

I could go either way. Then I discovered Smirnoff.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post
                                  There is something about Mr Thompson, that lends itself to the ... 'ohforfucksake' pause, whilst you ponder, "is it me, or is this actually funny?"

I could go either way. Then I discovered Smirnoff.
                                  There was a badge in one of the stalls in Porthcawl fair that said "I thought Wanking was a province of China until I discovered Smirnoff". Don't know where this lies in this thread.

Comment

I think the original was something to do with Snow White and 7-up.

*Snow White: "I thought 7-Up was a drink, until I discovered Smirnoff."

Again, that was from the 60's or 70's, so ... I dunno. It's funny, but, not really, unless you are Snow White doing 'kitten with a whip'.

*edited
                                    Last edited by Gerontophile; 05-01-2018, 19:36.

Comment

Well, it was Porthcawl in the 70s.

Comment

Want to meet someone who loves CAH as much as you do? Now there's Dating Against Humanity!!

https://uk.funzing.com/funz/dating-a...eid=27bc8bd225

Comment

Working...
                                        X