No announcement yet.

Once more on C4: F1 and motorsport 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm so old, that very early in my "career" I worked for Saab and Jack was running JCT600 who had a Saab dealership in Bradford. Or Leeds. Or both. I spoke to him on the phone a few times and remember him as being (certainly to a 21-year-old) quite intimidating.

Comment

Three breakdowns for McLaren so far today in the Barcelona test. Maybe it wasn't all Honda's fault eh?

Comment

WRC Mexico this weekend - often a rally that produces memorable moments (Kris Meeke's last corner car park excursion and the trip into the lake for Ott (Ti)Tanak to name two of the more recent ones), this year features the return of multiple World Champion and 6 times Mexico winner Sebastian Loeb. Could he win after 5 years out of the WRC? He's got favourable road position so I wouldn't put it past him.

Comment

Halfway through the highlights and already this is a classic.

Comment

Well, the second half didn't live up to the first I suppose... one of those 'last man standing' rallies of attrition. But the contenders took themselves out in an interesting variety of ways, and the winner was faultless in the end.

Comment

I've just put together this spotter's guide for my boy for the upcoming F1 season. Hope he likes it.

Comment

Well, if he doesn't, then I do.

Just the thing to tide me over until ms. ursus brings the Sonderheft back from her next trip to Germany

Comment

Cheers ursus! Formula E quite prominent on the cover there. I did watch the Morocco e-Prix a little while ago, thought it was alright though the Fan Boost seemed a silly gimmick.

Speaking of which, is there a need for seven different slick compounds?

Comment

Our toilet roll says it is "irresistibly soft," so there's another Pirelli compound sorted for next year.

Comment

It's interesting.

The kicker Sonderheft had long been Formula One only (having first appeared during the Schumacher era), but are now spreading their wings. This is the first editions with other formulae on the cover. I'm intrigued by what kind of coverage is inside.

Comment

My son was pleased - it's been blutacked up in his room and he's been talking about the new season a lot. As I think I've mentioned, Hamilton is his hero, and a bit of glory-hunting in F1 over the summer is probably quite healthy for a small boy who has to put up with supporting a middling Championship team through the football season.

Next round of Formula E is the Uruguay ePrix on the Punta del Este street circuit. It's live on Channel 5 and Eurosport tomorrow evening (not sure of the exact race start time, C5 start the broadcast at 1830 GMT, and ES1 start at 1900).

And if you like a gimmick, you can vote for who gets the Fan Boost here ;-) https://fanboost.fiaformulae.com

Comment

But if even that is too long to wait for a top-class open-wheel race, then you're in luck because IndyCar have made the entire ABC broadcast from St Petersburg available on YouTube. I don't know if it is georestricted from the US, mind you.

Here you go. Avoid the comments, which will give away the result.

Comment

The commentators still seem to refer to F1 as 'European' which is interesting now that the Europe/RoW split is basically 50/50.

They were talking about it in the context of new IndyCar drivers Robert Wickens and Jordan King - the former has come across from DTM while Jordan King would probably have been one of Manor's F1 drivers by now, had the team not folded before last season - he's said he's made the positive decision to move to the US for a career in IndyCar. He's only 24, so hopefully it'll work out well for him.

Comment

Well, that was great fun and a bonkers finale. In fact, what you might enjoy even more is this 30 minute condensed version. Chapeau and thanks, IndyCar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uX9u0bLT_Tw

Comment

Moto GP is back and the 19 round season starts in Qatar this weekend. Marquez is again the favourite.

This year they've added a round in Thailand, 50,000 turned up there just too watch the testing. The British round is again at Silverstone, I'm more of a Donnington fan myself.

Comment

Trouble at t'mill?

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...ity-toto-wolff

Comment

An extra set of start lights has been added further down the track after concerns that the halo will prevent drivers - especially the pole sitter - from seeing them properly.

The second generation Formula E car is being tested this weekend, too. Looks good.

The battery now has double the range (without being double the weight) and as a result in the 2018-19 season there will no longer be the need for the mid-race car change. Personally that's one of the features I like, but I do get that if you're trying to send cities a message of how great electric cars can be, demonstrating the need to own two of them is probably not ideal.

Comment

Is this the generation that allows teams to design their own shells/aero kits or is that still in the future?

Comment

I don't know whether that's on the cards at all tbh? Teams can change motors (Virgin, for example, use two motors rather than one), gearboxes, rear suspension and wheels. But FE want to keep the cost as low as possible so that teams are sustainable and competitive, including encouraging privateers. You can buy 'ready to race' cars for €440k for the current model. The one above costs €800k but you need half as many of them because they will be able to run a complete race.

Comment

Round-up of the practice sessions:
                                          https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/f...er-day-1-.html

tl;dr? The Mercedes came out on top, but only very very slightly ahead of the Red Bulls and Ferraris. The best of the rest, however, seems to be the Haas, but Alonso was also going well and the middle-field battles should also be very close.
                                          Last edited by Kevin S; 23-03-2018, 13:05.

Comment

BBC trying to hype up a Greatest Driver of a Generation battle between Hamilton and Vettel. Is it true that Vettel has never won a race starting lower than 3rd on the grid? If that is this case then yes, a very good driver in a great car, but hardly a great driver.

Comment

It's true, dat.

Hamilton has done it four times.

Comment

The most recent time Hamilton did it was because of this, of course.
                                                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi-qitmfvlI

Comment

For me, the 2016 Belgian Grand Prix, when Lewis started 21st due to a penalty and finished 3rd, sealed that debate.

Poor Riccardo got another penalty - 3 spots for speeding on a red flag. At least this one wasn't after he was on the podium in his home race.

Comment

Last week "If we're nine tenths off Red Bull that wouldn't look good" - Zak Brown of McLaren.

Today; Both McLaren cars eliminated in Q2 of qualifying, some 1.2 seconds slower than Red Bull.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X