Once more on C4: F1 and motorsport 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He stopped after the stage and...

Citroen team principal Pierre Budar told Autosport: "We can confirm there was a leak in exhaust gas from the catalytic converter, but after that we don't know.
    "We cannot talk more about what might have happened, because simply we don't know and the car was too badly damaged.
    "We will investigate further when we get it back to the factory this week, but for now all we can say is that we had a failure with the catalytic converter - that much we do know."

Comment

Ah, the cat would make sense, cheers.

Comment

Euro Truck live streaming this morning from Le Mans:
        https://youtu.be/Y0djGnqhy3I

Comment

Wales Rally GB starts tomorrow - I'm heading out to watch shakedown and pop along to the service park before watching in the woods on Friday and Saturday. Forecast looks grim for Saturday, unfortunately. Giving Sunday a miss to catch up on my sleep after three daft o'clock starts.

Comment

Looking forward to the WRC highlights at some point.

Meanwhile, racing car of the year anyone?

https://twitter.com/IndyCar/status/1049344904844009472?s=19

Comment

Worth catching the WRC highlights Kev, there was plenty going on.

Hopefully I'll get round to posting a few photos and possibly a few words about my three days spectating before the week is out.

Comment

If I get a bit of time later I'll see them here:
                https://www.redbull.com/int-en/tv/vi...:live_programs

or if not will wait until they are on C5.

Comment

Cracking rally, that, though I have to admit to being disappointed about the result in the end. A weird one where I couldn't really see what Tanak did wrong on the jump or after it - I don't think the co-driver warned him of anything did he? So it's realistically back to a two-horse race after Tanak had threatened to blow it wide open before this setback. But assuming Toyota keep pace with the other teams I think he should win the title sooner or later. Of the two, of course, it would be good for title to go to Neuville this year for a change.

Lewis has basically sewn up another WDC now, with a 67 point lead. If he can extend that to 75 or more after the USGP then it's job done. If he wins the race, the title is his if Vettel finishes third or lower. Though even if Vettel is second to Lewis, he would have a 74 point lead with 75 left (i.e. if Lewis wins in the US, Vettel needs to win all three races and Lewis not to score any more points, as Lewis is ahead on the tie-breaker too).

Comment

Williams have signed George Russell for 2019. He will be 21 by the time of the Australian GP.
                    https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...c0IGUkEc4.html

The 2019 F1 grid as it stands
                    • Mercedes – Lewis Hamilton and Valtteri Bottas
                    • Ferrari – Sebastian Vettel and Charles Leclerc
                    • Red Bull - Max Verstappen and Pierre Gasly
                    • Renault – Daniel Ricciardo and Nico Hulkenberg
                    • Haas – Romain Grosjean and Kevin Magnussen
                    • McLaren – Carlos Sainz and Lando Norris
                    • Force India – TBC and TBC
                    • Toro Rosso – Daniil Kvyat and TBC
                    • Sauber – Kimi Raikkonen and Antonio Giovinazzi
                    • Williams – George Russell and TBC

Comment

Has Stroll not been confirmed at Force India yet then? Must confess that I've not been paying attention. Terrific news that George Russell has got a drive, just hope the car is less of a shed than this years effort.

As an M-Sport fan, and increasingly a fan of Ogier's genius and mellowing personality, I'd love to see him win the WRC again this year. Neuville is... just not that likeable I'm afraid, and the amount of money that Hyundai have thrown at it absolutely dwarfs what M-Sport have to play with (even with the Fiesta drivers bringing some Red Bull cash), so it sits better with me when the underdog comes out on top.

There's a YouTube clip somewhere of some spectators digging part of Tanak's sump protection out of the ground (!) after the rally - he didn't look to have hit the jump and compression much faster than anyone else, but the Yaris ride height seemed lower all weekend (better traction?) and perhaps his team mates lifted a little more over that section. I was standing at the top of the hill where he coasted to a stop, couldn't believe it when he came into view and shut it down - gutted for him, he was so upset.

Comment

Good comment on the WRC leaders, I do prefer the M-Sport team. Aside from his personality, I do like Neuville's glasses though.

WEC spoiler (Fuji 6hr)
                        [Spoiler]#7 beats #8, so that's a win for Kobayashi. Jackie Chan's team dominated the LMP2 race and Ferrari led the GT race into the penultimate hour before a puncture have another win to Porsche.[/spoiler]
                        Last edited by Kevin S; 14-10-2018, 09:02.

Comment

New home for Stoffel.

https://twitter.com/svandoorne/status/1051753156370153473?s=19

Comment

Finally got round to sorting a few photos out from my WRC weekend on Wales Rally GB...

Full flickr gallery is here https://flic.kr/s/aHskKC86dJ for anyone interested.

Comment

Beautiful - I have to say your photos do the mud and filth more justice than the highlights did, they've got a great feel to them.

Matt Edwards' car looks really smart. Was the Fiesta the most popular car there do you think? Quite a lot of Fabias too by the look of it.

Comment

A couple of other ex-F1 drivers will be at Mahindra FE in the new season - Wehrlein and d'Ambrosio. Their previous drivers are moving on, with Rosenqvist going for an IndyCar drive and Heidfeld going 'upstairs' as well as being available as the test and reserve driver.

Comment

Cheers Kev, you're too kind (bear in mind I took close to 1700 pics, even a trained chimp could manage to get a few of them in focus and roughly in the centre of the frame!).

M-Sport have sold a shedload of R5 Fiestas and make a lot of their income through maintaining them and supplying parts. They had 7 out on this event, 4 of which were run or supported directly by M-Sport, whilst Skoda had 9 Fabias including the two 'works' ones. I think the Skoda is possibly a quicker car at the moment, which may account for there being more of them. Nb - there were also 3 Hyundai R5s and 3 of the new Citroen C3s, which is already an improvement on the woefully slow DS3, which was their first attempt at an R5 category contender.

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post
                                    In driver employment news, it looks more and more likely that Citroen will tempt Ogier back from M-Sport with the promise of more manufacturer backing. EP seems to be headed the same way, which frees up a Yaris that the jobless Kris Meeke is being linked with. Quite where this leaves M-Sport I'm not sure, with Evans underperforming for much of the year and Suninen not experienced enough to lead a team yet - possibly a glimmer of an opportunity for Ostberg there? And would Citroen run a third car all season, or does Breen find himself looking for a drive?
                                    Meeke to Toyota confirmed.

Lappi and Ogier to Citroen also done deals.

Comment

Cheers for the info on the R5 Fiestas, had no idea that they make and supply them for other competitions. Presumably that explains their tweet here (the video is a hell of a cinematic thing, considering - thankfully all ok).

https://twitter.com/MSportLtd/status/1051762329296297985
                                      Last edited by Kevin S; 17-10-2018, 09:01.

Comment

I'll put a link to the crash video separately here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...EECwc0&t=3m37s

You'd almost think this was staged, the way it arcs and spins along the verge before flying right across the camera shot and resting on the other side. Then the leaves come floating down. Then you hear the shouts from some men who come running into shot.

As I said - very good thing that they are ok!

Comment

Cheers for sharing, that was a big one. Shows the unpredictability of a cars path once it’s out of control, I’d have considered the bank on the inside to be perfectly safe because 9 times out of 10 the momentum of the car will take it off to the outside, yet that’s where the car ends up.

Comment

Three place grid penalty for Vettel.

Comment

Somebody near the Channel 4 commentators appears to be making their own car sound effects.

Comment

I was wondering if it was Liberty's latest madcap idea to improve the show.

Comment

Wow, fantastic to see Kimi win again, absolutely delighted with that.

Comment

Kimi, fucking finally. What a terrific race that was.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X