BBC World Football radio-doc on the NASL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBC World Football radio-doc on the NASL

A 27-minute radio documentary on the North American Soccer League here - put up today on the World Service site, going out to the globe tomorrow. Bit too much of Rod Marsh waffling on (but then I've heard all those stories before), and not enough of me (obviously), but a competent, anecdotally-led summation of the league's spirit.

Is BBC radio i-player region restricted like the TV shows normally? Any time I’ve remembered, I’ve been able to listen to Radio Scotland’s Off the Ball (Stuart Cosgrove and pals taking entertaining (mostly) shite). Haven’t tried in maybe 6 months though.

Comment

If it is, let me know and I'll... make it available to overseas viewers.

Comment

It plays from imp’s link in the US and looks also to be downloadable as a podcast

Comment

It's only the TV iPlayer that's georestricted, the radio can be listened to either live or later from anywhere. (Well, not North Korea, presumably.)

Comment

I listened to it ok here in the US. I agree with IMP's assessment. I thought it could have done a better job of flogging his book.

Also, I think it said that at the end the only teams willing to go forward were Toronto and the Minnesota Strikers. I was unaware that the Strikers tried to move from Florida to Minnesota after the Kix gave up, so I looked it up to confirm. They only played one year in the NASL before it folded and then persisted as an MISL team playing at the old North Stars building.

Comment

Enjoyable listen, there should be an Alan Green warning- tho he isn’t in self-righteous shouty mode, and I now know what imp sounds like!

Comment

He sounded so un-Alan Green-like when I was talking to him that I wasn't even sure it was the Alan Green.

Comment

Yes, I've listened to World Football before and discovered this other Alan Green.

It's not uncommon to hear British-based hacks on international (or another nation's) radio sounding quite different, like they're on a day-release from the pressures of their domestic incarceration. I won't have a word said against Martin Tyler, simply because I only hear him as the voice of wisdom on Radio Sport.

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
                    He sounded so un-Alan Green-like when I was talking to him that I wasn't even sure it was the Alan Green.
                    So how do I ken I’ve heard THE imp..?

Comment

Working...
                    X