Football on your birthday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Football on your birthday

In 2018 there is a whole range of football matches scheduled for my birthday. Shrewsbury are at home. I get to watch a game on my birthday inshallah.

I'm probably weird but it's always a treat to see a game on my actual birthday. The same weekend or a couple of days either side are OK but there's something about it being on the day.

Anyone else feel this way?
    Last edited by Patrick Thistle; 22-12-2017, 14:16.

Thanks for reminding me that I never got to be a mascot because my birthday is in July.

Comment

Bury played Wrexham at home on my 21st. I'd received a beautiful watch from my parents that morning, and was able to use it to see that less than a quarter of an hour of the game had gone as we found ourselves 2-0 down.

Lost 2-0 at home to Scarborough on my 13th birthday too.

Comment

Being born in August, the new season starting is pretty much a present in itself.

Comment

I planned a Leo Fortune-West themed night out for my 21st birthday.

On the day, the man himself joined in the fun, scoring a hat-trick inside the first fifteen minutes as Doncaster Rovers beat Leyton Orient 5-0. I even bought the DVD of the game.

Comment

January 24th 1998, my 22nd birthday: decided to go and watch St Johnstone play Partick in the afternoon, followed by a pub crawl around St Andrews and a late-night curry. Went to a few games at McDiarmid that season so the game itself (a 1-0 win for Saints) was as thrilling as expected - with the added bonus of spotting ourselves in the crowd on the Sportscene roundup - and the pub crawl descended fairly swiftly into a drunken farce, as expected. Good day and night out all round really.

Comment

My birthday is in January and the league of Ireland being a summer league I don't get games on my birthday anymore, however when we changed from a winter to a summer league in 2002 /03 we won the league on the second last weekend, against our main rivals at their place, with an 89 th minute goal, two days after my birthday. So that's close enough for me

Comment

My birthday falls on an international week so I've managed to be away from home on my birthday for years! Of course, my favourite ever birthday came on 10 October 2015

Comment

My birthday being the end of August usually means the season is just underway.

Cheltenham's first season in the Football League (99/00) saw my 15th birthday clash with a home fixture with Barnet - we lost 2-1.

My 19th birthday saw us batter Orient 4-1 but that was away from home and I didn't go.

The one I remember most vividly is being routed by Leicester 4-0 on my 24th birthday - having gone out the night before I had the worst hangover ever, it was bleeding boiling and Leicester spanked us all over the park.

The most recent time Cheltenham have played on my birthday was on my 30th in 2014 when we beat Hartlepool 1-0. Suffice to say that was one of our best results in a season when we were effing dreadful and ended up going down.

Comment

Eight matches on seven birthdays. Most memorable is probably the win at Darlington's white elephant, en route to our improbable seventh place in the Conference.

2003 - Frickley Athletic 0-0 Shildon (FA Cup q2)
                    2006 - Southport U18 5-0 Nantwich Town U18 (FA Youth Cup q1)
                    2008 - Southport 3-2 Vauxhall Motors (FA Cup q2)
                    2011 - Darlington 0-3 Southport (Conference)
                    2014 - Elm Hall Dons Methodist 1-3 AC Mitchell (Merseyside Christian Division Two) followed by Southport 0-1 Bristol Rovers (Conference)
                    2015 - Colby Women 0-16 Douglas Royal Women (Isle of Man Women's League)
                    2016 - Hemsworth Miners Welfare 1-1 aet (3-2 pens) Glasshoughton Welfare (FA Vase q2 replay)

Comment

In general terms I'm cursed with a crap birthday - 2 January - but it tends to work out in football terms.

Most memorably Carlisle were at home on my 40th birthday, a big group of us went in hospitality and we beat Sheffield United 3-2.

We were due to repeat the experience a couple of years ago, had hospitality booked for the home game vs Plymouth but Storm Desmond intervened and we had to play at Blackburn. No hospitality, but a couple of fellas next to me had smuggled in some mini bottles of wine and when hearing it was my birthday, passed me a couple to celebrate.

A couple of others were less memorable.

My son also hit lucky - being a home and away Carlisle fan since the age of two, his 18th landed on a Saturday and the hoped for home game came in, so again a big group in hospitality and a sequence of events we couldn't have predicted - I had already offered to front up for the bar bill and then won the Golden Gamble, my sister won a Carlisle shirt in the guess the score competition, and best of all my son won the guess the man of the match competition, and got - appropriately enough - eight bottles of Heineken presented by the eventual man of the match.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                        In general terms I'm cursed with a crap birthday - 2 January - but it tends to work out in football terms.
                        I'm the opposite – born in late May, which is a pretty nice time of year to have one's birthday, but there's never a lot of football going on then. A couple of weeks later and you at least stand a chance of hitting a World Cup or European Championships every other year.

Comment

It's my birthday in about 15 minutes. Best memory was a last minute winner against Gillingham on my 22nd, worst was a very deep in injury time equaliser by Marlon King on my 22nd. That was also the last game that home fans could stand at Edgeley.

Comment

Ah, happy birthday Crystal Staples. (As it's now past midnight)

Comment

Never been to a game on my birthday, partly as it falls during an international break (Wednesday have only played twice since 1987 on the day itself) and partly as a lot of my friends aren't football fans.

I also appear to share a birthday with Mr Porbillas.

Comment

Plenty of footballing occasions on my birthday as it falls in late November, although there have been more gaps over the last two decades.

1972-73 Arsenal (a) 3-0
                                Same night I was born.

1973-74 Southampton (a) 2-0
                                1981-82 Derby (h) 4-1
                                1984-85 Notts County (h) 3-0

1987-88 Liverpool (a) 0-0
                                We were apparently kept in the game single handed by an outrageous Bryan Gunn display in goal. Match Weekly gave him a 10 out of 10 (no mean feat that).

1992-93 Sheff United (h) 2-1
                                Top of the Premier League by a clear margin at this stage. Manchester United bought Eric Cantona five days later. Damn...

1995-96 WBA (a) 4-1
                                Missed the last bus back to Leicester (where I was studying) and was stuck in Birmingham until six in the morning. Padded out two hours in a curry house and kipped in the coach station at Digbeth. Freezing.

1998-99 Tranmere (a) 3-1
                                Found myself sitting with and chatting to a lovely Scottish couple. Found out afterwards they were Malky Mackay's parents.

1999-00 Ipswich (h) 0-0
                                Dullest East Anglian derby in living memory.

2000-01 Burnley (a) 0-2
                                First ever defeat on my birthday at Turf Moor in the pissing rain and my last 'live' birthday experience. The dregs of the Bryan Hamilton era when he decided that playing without a striker is better than using any striker at all. Did the whole journey there and back from Norwich in one afternoon/evening. Not good.

2009-10 Southampton (a) 2-2
                                2015-16 Chelsea (a) 0-1

2017-18 N.Forest (a) 0-1
                                Couldn't be arsed to go but spent the evening on a train with a stomach bug (which was probably preferable given the quality of our matches this season).

Comment

Mine usually falls on or near to F.A. Cup Second Round weekend so Barnet generally don't have a game, natch. The only one I recall with any clarity was a 3-2 win over Leigh RMI the second time we won the Conference in 2004/05. Leigh were miles clear at the bottom but contrived to play us off the park for much of the game and were 2-1 up well in to the second half. They also had an away support of three.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                    I'm 2018...
                                    Looking good on it, brother.

I can't remember the last time my lot even played on my birthday - let alone won on it - but, on the day I was born, we did Fulham 4-2 at the Lane...

Comment

Horsham 1-5 Hemel Hempstead, Ryman Div2 1998
                                      Horsham 5-2 Flackwell Heath, Associate Members Trophy R2 2000

There are possibly some Swansea and Chelsea games, but I can't be bothered to look back at their fixtures.

I vaguely recall playing on my birthday (Trallwm Wanderers, Carmarthenshire League) but somehow ended up severely intoxicated and with no recollection of who the opposition were.

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post
                                        Never been to a game on my birthday, partly as it falls during an international break (Wednesday have only played twice since 1987 on the day itself) and partly as a lot of my friends aren't football fans.

I also appear to share a birthday with Mr Porbillas.
                                        Excellent! Although I'm usually away for my birthday because it's international week, I've only actually had three internationals on the day itself - Denmark, Finland and Bosnia ... one win, two defeats!

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                          Looking good on it, brother.
                                          Ouch.

Daft I know, but I've edited it.

Comment

My birthday's round about mid-Summer, so it's alternate international tournaments for me...

Comment

The only match I remember attending on my birthday (28th Nov) where Thistle actually won was a few years ago away at Kilmarnock... It finished Killie 2 - Jags 5...should have been about 6- or 7-2 really. Seems like a hell of a long time ago now....apparently it was 2015 http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/34887441

Comment

I was born on Christmas Day so fixtures stopped being played then well before my birth. In England and Wales, at least.

Comment

My birthday is right at the start of June, which in football terms couldn't be much worse. Season/cup finals/playoffs are almost always finished and summer international tournaments don't usually start till the following week. Good job I'm a big cricket fan too...

Comment

Working...
                                                  X