Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Books you got for Christmas

So far I've received the following books:
    Pavel is a Geordie (bio of Pavel Srnicek)
    The Vital Question by Nick Lane - a biologist explaining why life on Earth looks the way it does

Mrs Thistle has had a recently published previously unreleased Dr Seuss book. Horton and the Kwukkerbug.

It isn't krismas day yet.

Comment

Indeed. Who opens Christmas presents before Christmas? Having said that, frau imp's present for me has just been delivered - a Tefal Plancha, in its box with nothing to disguise it. No anticipation thrills for this 52-year-old.

Comment

The Lord of the Ring Roads by Robert Rankin, the first book of the final Brentford trilogy.

I, Robert which is the far-fetched autobiography of Robert Rankin.

Both are limited editions, numbered and signed.

Comment

If we can expand this to childhood Xmases, I.think Guinness Book of Records and Beano annual were under our tree about five years in a row. An aunt bought me Alex Haley's Roots one year, as I must have raved about the TV series. In fact I think my presents were usually TV tie-ins, Steve Austin, Starsky and Hutch, Blue Peter, etc.

My most treasured ever present was Oscar Wilde's short stories.

Comment

These days, I drop hints about biographies or autobiographies that we see in airports. Joe Biden this year, maybe, or a major death from the last 3 years, although I'm not sure there is anything left to say about Muhammad Ali or David Bowie.

Comment

I've asked for the Times style guide and a book about the first 25 years of the Metrolink tram system in Manchester. Form an orderly queue for fascinating conversation, ladies.

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
                Indeed. Who opens Christmas presents before Christmas?
                People who are travelling round the country seeing different family members so doing Christmas several times over.

Comment

You think Jesus was born in a manger just so you can flaunt tradition like that? Did the three kings show up bearing gold, frankincense and myrrh on December the 16th., Patrick? Come on, DID THEY? No they fucking didn't, because they'd have found a fucking empty barn. And the landlord of the inn telling them, "This is an inn, not a fucking bring-and-buy market, now fuck off back to your kingdoms."

Having said that, I know for a fact my Mum has sent me Big Dave's Gusset's latest because she asked me about a hundred times what I wanted for Christmas and wouldn't take "Nothing" for an answer, so eventually I told her, "Get me Big Dave's Gusset's latest"* and then she stopped asking.

*actually I didn't, I sent her an amazon link.

Comment

Gift giving schedule chez les hocs this coming few days
                    22 December: Younger daughter's birthday. Gifts given
                    23 December: Christmas part 1. So as not to cart gifts to the Uk and back, nuclear family exchange gifts
                    24 December: Fly to UK, visit my parents for lunch. Exchange gifts. Drive up to my brother's place. Drink.
                    25 December: Christmas in Leicestershire. Exchange gifts
                    26 December: No gifts given

Comment

Having said that, I know for a fact my Mum has sent me Big Dave's Gusset's latest because she asked me about a hundred times what I wanted for Christmas and wouldn't take "Nothing" for an answer, so eventually I told her, "Get me Big Dave's Gusset's latest"* and then she stopped asking.

Thank goodness for that clarifying last line, imp. I mean, I can only imagine what my mum's reaction would be if she asked me what I wanted for Christmas and received the apparent reply of "Big Dave's gussets".

Comment

She's just keeping you guessing. Now you'll be really surprised when you unwrap that second Tefal Plancha.

Comment

You think Jesus was born in a manger just so you can flaunt tradition like that? Did the three kings show up bearing gold, frankincense and myrrh on December the 16th., Patrick? Come on, DID THEY? No they fucking didn't, because they'd have found a fucking empty barn. And the landlord of the inn telling them, "This is an inn, not a fucking bring-and-buy market, now fuck off back to your kingdoms."
                          Yeah but they tipped up on January 6th and Joseph had just taken the tree down by then so they aren't exactly the paragons of gift giving are they? Tardy astrology peddlers!

Comment

Anyway. Sister in Law bought me the 'Only Connect Ffcl Qz Bk' and 'Vikings' by Neil Oliver, which I didn't know she was getting me and looks quite interesting. I'm less interested in the quiz book. Mrs Thistle is more of a fan than I am and she wasn't fussed about it.

Comment

"Tardy astrology peddlers" is going to be my go-to phrase now this Christmastime and New Year, I can tell

Comment

I asked for the most recent version of The Darkroom Cookbook. I suspect i might get it as an e-book, which will be somewhat disappointing.

Comment

One of my work colleagues bought me Colm "Gooch " Cooper's (kerry gaelic football legend ) autobiography after I dId a small favour for him. It was a nice gesture but he showed his lack of sporting knowledge, He said " is he an Irish footballer? " ,Me "no, he plays gaelic " "for Dublin? " "no,for Kerry " ,it's like giving Noel Gallagher Gary Neville's autobiography but I'll give it a go

Comment

Due to a busy work period and my inability to drive, I will not be giving or receiving any presents until 5 January. Which means that they're all going to get a load of January sale rubbish, but they should expect that. Bookswise I will get a book nominally from my stepdad (but paid for and chosen and wrapped by my Mum) that will be whatever she thinks I like reading, normally a crime thriller that lasts me the train journey home. And definitely, last year's Wisden's. For which I'm grateful, but I do wish she would realise that the 2017 edition is about 2016's cricket, and that 2018 is the new one.

Comment

If she twigged though, that would mean you would miss out on a year. You're kind of stuck in that sequence.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                                        One of my work colleagues bought me Colm "Gooch " Cooper's (kerry gaelic football legend ) autobiography after I dId a small favour for him. It was a nice gesture but he showed his lack of sporting knowledge, He said " is he an Irish footballer? " ,Me "no, he plays gaelic " "for Dublin? " "no,for Kerry " ,it's like giving Noel Gallagher Gary Neville's autobiography but I'll give it a go
                                        Even in Kerry, the verdict is that it isn't a patch on Jackie Tyrrell's or Philly McMahon's efforts - haven't read it myself, but the serialised bits in the local press were fairly mundane.

Got a magnificent tome myself today - Atlas of the Irish Revolution, almost 1,000 pages covering the Home Rule period, 1916, War of Independence and Civil War. Naturally, have merely dipped the surface of it yet, but superlative maps and artwork spread throughout.

Comment

I saw that, looks amazing and also weighs a ton, might get that in the new year, heard good things about the Jackie Tyrell book but didn't buy it unless it ended up in my stocking, another one on the January list

Comment

My son bought me a book called Where Song Began by Tim Low of which I'd never heard but looks intriguing.

Comment

How to tell if your cat is plotting to kill you.

[Winnie the] Pooh's Snowy Day.

Comment

Got a Jimmy Reid biography. No idea if it’s any good or just hagiography, but am quite interested to find out.

Comment

I got "Covers: Retracing Reggae Record Sleeves in London" by Alex Bartsch. Nice timing: I crowdfunded this last year and it arrived just before I got home for Christmas. My name is in the credits too.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X