Interstitial time in football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interstitial time in football

The moments between the time something happens and the time it's consequences are felt. A moment where things float.

I've been thinking about it since the MLS final. Altidore's goal (in slow-motion, 8:12 of this video) was a chip on a breakaway from 12 yards out. But a chip from 12 yards takes a second or so to hit the back of the net. A second where nothing has yet happened, no goal has been scored, but where everyone in the stadium is doing the physics in their head, extrapolating from the ball's weight and trajectory to see the goal before it actually happens. For a brief moment, it is inevitable without yet being true. If it's your team scoring, it's kind of an amazing feeling.

Another example of this, I remembered something similar happened in the only game I've ever seen at Old Trafford (a much less happy occasion). It was the 6-1 rout of Arsenal in 2001, and it;s a long, arc'ing pass from Beckham to Yorke. It's this, but I don't think the clip it does it justice. The ball hangs in the air for a full three seconds - presumably enough for a defender to get planted right, but from the instant the ball left Beckham's foot, everyone knew - just *knew* - that the ball was going to be inches over Stepanov's head, that Yorke would be alone on goal. You had to wait for gravity to start working for it actually to come to pass, but there was never any doubt. Extraordinary.

A different type of interstitial time but maybe more memorable: the 76 seconds between the time the ref blew play down after seeing Materazzi on the ground and the time the red card came out. For at least half that time everyone watching on TV knew a red card offence had taken place and zidane's career was over. For those in the stands - I don;t know. Some saw it; most, their eyes following play, probably didn't. But whatever - time stopped for that minute and a quarter.

Other examples?

I saw this at Cardiff v Brentford. Everyone behind the goal knew Brentford had equalised but then, but then, the striker somehow fucked it up and missed. And we all gaped at each other in wonderment and disbelief.

Comment

The classic example from my childhood is Jim Montgomery's save in the 1973 Cup Final, which fooled David Coleman.

Gordon Banks from Pele, 1970: the delay before Coleman says "What A Save!" Pele's dummy in the same tournament.

Don Fox last-minute conversion miss for Wakefield Trinity (rugby league).

Cricket: I suppose those moments when a bail has been clipped off and it seems to take seconds for people to realize.
      Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 17-12-2017, 19:01.

Comment

I think the more obvious ones in cricket is when the ball has been hit in the air and it takes a moment to determine a) if it is going for 6 and b) if there is a fielder there.

Comment

Those tackles/fouls where you see the two players converging, and somehow you know how bad it's going to be, what colour the card (should) be, and ask yourself why the tackler doesn't pull out, and you can do all that in your head faster than they can adjust their bodies to avoid it happening.

And sometimes of course the fouled player knows it's coming, and wants it to.

Comment

Croatia's third goal against Denmark at Euro 96, on two occasions: first of all when Croatia broke up the park with Schmeichel still in the opposing box (the "oh, the Danes are screwed now" moment), and then again as Suker's lob was in mid-air (the "and that's why you should keep a defender back when your keeper goes up for corners" moment).

Comment

Gary Parkinson’s winner for Burnley against Stockport in the 1994 playoff final. It still seems to go in slowly on the footage but in person it seemed to take minutes.

Comment

Keepers diving to 'cover' shots they know full-well are going wide is one, a workaday happening. Those are much like racquet sports (well mostly Badminton and Tennis as the others don't really offer the possibility) where a player leaves a ball they could play because they perceive it to be heading out.

Baseball with a well-hit ball heading very close to the foul poll. Nothing anyone can do but watch it go to see whether its going to be a home run, which could decide the outcome of the game, or a foul which is something rather minor and quickly forgotten.

Comment

Comment

USSR 2nd goal v Scotland in WC 1982.

Comment

Roy of the Rovers speech bubble time.

"Racey's hit one of his rockets from the edge of the eighteen yard box!"

"Yes, even a top goalkeeper like Tynecaster's Mick Box will have his work cut out getting a hand to this one!"

Comment

Shevchenko's chipped penalty in 2005.

Although to be fair no-one was thinking "even a top goalkeeper like Liverpool's Jerzy Dudek..."

Comment

Ronaldinho v Seaman 2002

Comment

Comment

Or Nayim vs Seaman in 1995! Or even Dixon vs Seaman in 1991. Maybe the gaps in between are other interstitials?

Oh, and the counter-example, when a player tries to create some dead time to get their defence set, and the mutli-ball system and a sharp-witted ball kid says 'nuh-uh!'

The Fulham one doesn't help their own club much there, do they?

Comment

Savo Milošević's goal in the 1996 League Cup final

He lumbers up to the edge of the D with all the conviction of a schoolboy hurrying late to a class knowing he's up for a scolding, the Leeds fullbacks are like "no worries, let him go, nothing's happening here", the ball leaves his foot, it's flying, it's into the stands, it's into row Z, it's... FUCK!!

Comment

Oddly, Ray and I were at that match.

That and the Waddle goal seem to be out of kilter with the thread raison d'être as they are quite fast.

This is one of my personal favourite.

Not only for the context (which it is worth watching the whole video for) but also because I was there and experienced the pause of the arc in real time. I know that these chipped goals a la Beckham are kind of obvious for this thread.

I can't think of specific examples but it also occurs that those sort of long looping upward headers into goal are prime for this thread.

Oh, and any Gerrard Hollywood pass or shot at goal as it ascends deep into the heavens.

Comment

Working...
                                  X