Christmas Board game recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christmas Board game recommendations

Given as a family we’re broadly as thick as mince we rarely play anything more challenging than Pit, Cranium or Balderdash, though we are taking a chance this year on Chameleon (“everyone knows the secret word except for the chameleon. But who is the chameleon?”).

Anyone got any alternative recommendations?

Watch the telly, get drunk.

Comment

As a family we only ever took to Ludo or Monopoly, after a couple of hours of those someone generally broke out a pack of cards.

Comment

We've bought a few this Christmas. After reading reviews, we've bought Love Letter, Risk Europe edition (only £12.50), Exit The Secret Lab and Codenames.

Comment

Cards Against Humanity is almost a board game.

Comment

Ticket to Ride is a winner for a broad range of ages and interest in board games.

Comment

Was just gonna say that. Ticket to Ride is the best and very easy to play.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicarious Thrillseeker View Post
                We've bought a few this Christmas. After reading reviews, we've bought Love Letter, Risk Europe edition (only £12.50), Exit The Secret Lab and Codenames.
                By remarkable coincidence, I just received a copy of Exit The Secret Lab in the post yesterday. But can I recommend you return Risk Europe and get Risk Legacy instead?

Resistance: Avalon would make a good family game, I think. As would Sheriff of Nottingham. And while it's not a board game, Space Team for mobile devices has similar dynamics and is great fun.

Comment

The little-known Talking Tango can be hilarious (especially when pissed), perfect Xmas family game, wholesome fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k17TNIF27oY

I love to play Stratego with my nieces & nephews too.

If the weather’s OK, the outdoors game Snap it is great, even for just 15 minutes, it's fun and perfect to get a bit of fresh air after being cooped up and sitting around the dining-room table for hours (game goes under different names, Squap it is another one, I got my set at Hamleys -I think they invented it- but you can order via Amazon I think, only about £20).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4GaTK0_BGE

The French game Mille Bornes is a timeless classic that I really recommend, I play the French version with my younger nieces aged between 9 and 12 y-old, they hardly speak any French but love it, rules are simple. Not sure if there's an English version now but the French version is for sale on amazon.co.uk, ~£20.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mille_Bornes

Comment

How many are you? WHat age? And did you already read the Guardian guide?

My favourite board game is Scotland Yard. (There was one called MovieMaker, one called Totopoly, and one called Thomas Cook, (believe it or not), all of which are fun, but not cool for anyone under 5.)

Oh, and I hear good things about Super Mario Kart.

Comment

If the kids are younger, maybe King of Tokyo.

Comment

If the kids are younger, I suspect HORN will be being taught Super Mario Kart.

Comment

Oh, and Jenga is fun.

*Actually, a fuck load better than that silly 'whip out the tiny stick'* game, where the ball drops. No. With Jenga, you get to fuck others** up by your moves.

*Can't remember the name, but it might be 'Kerplunk',

and ** how old is your family? (And apologies. I stand by my first 4 choices.)
                          Last edited by Gerontophile; 13-12-2017, 05:37.

Comment

Another vote here for Ticket to Ride. This year I've ordered Forbidden Island on a friend's recommendation (apparently it's a gateway game to Pandemic which everyone raves about)

Comment

Again, if you're going to get Pandemic, get Pandemic Legacy. There are also iOS/Android versions of many of these games which will let you try them out for a lot cheaper than the physical version.

Comment

That's good advice...except that sitting round a table with the family playing a game together cannot be replicated on a phone. I might give it a bash but I'm not convinced (I have played ticket to ride online but I didn't enjoy it and it was nothing like playing around the kitchen table with my kids)

Comment

I really like Forbidden Island.

Comment

I worked for a company who devised (stole ideas from other successful games and marketed them under another name) and manufactured board games for over 10 years. It wasn't even remotely as much fun as it sounds.

Comment

My partner's brother is visiting this weekend and will bring Carcassonne with him.

Comment

Machi Koro.

A Japanese card game, but highly recommended.

Unleash your Jefferson Starship and build this city...

Comment

Balderdash really isn't for thickies. They seldom find the right nuances when composing a pseudo-definition - thus lose embarrassingly.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                                            Watch the telly, get drunk.
                                            And after you've done that, throw away all your board games and packs of cards.

Comment

I had to play a board game a few weeks ago, as my goddaughter was there and I had to return a favour (she'd agreed to be bored shitless during the question & answer session with Dennis Diekmeier).

I can't remember what the game was called, but it involved drawing and charades. My team absolutely wiped the floor with her team, and I made sure she knew it: Hair-ruffling, wanker's wrist, verbal insults, the whole caboodle. She didn't cry, but only because she didn't want me to take the piss out of her for that as well.

So, another reason to abolish board games: They make middle-aged men behave like cunts.

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
                                                And after you've done that, throw away all your board games and packs of cards.
                                                Can I come to you for Christmas?

Comment

I've got a never played Ivor The Engine board game that may get an outing this Christmas, as we are hosting a few people. Can't recommend it at this point, for obvious reason.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X