"Get Out" - film of the year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Get Out" - film of the year?

I see that "Get Out" came top in both Uncut and Sight and Sound's "best films of the year" list.

I thought it was a really good thriller, with some really memorable jolts. The auction scene, when you realise what is going on, was very powerful.

But it had a few flaws, as reviews pointed out at the time. The ending was familiar, and felt a let down when compared with the originality of what had come before. I thought the humour was needless and missed the mark.

It was an absolutely excellent film, but I am a bit surprised at it being hailed as the best of the year.

Haa anyone seen it twice? How is it on second viewing?

Does it deserve to be called best of the year?

Fuck I wrote a whole post dissing Ben Wheatley cos I got this mixed up with the heist thing from this summer. Turning to mush.

Not seen Get Out, was looking forward to it till someone described the whole plot to me.

Comment

Why did you not like "Free Fire"? I've not watched it.

Comment

I’ve not seen Free Fire either. Maybe it’s great. But Kill List, felt grubby after, and on second viewing seemed hysterical and campy, which I’m not sure was the intent. Hated hated hated High Rise, but was never a fan of Ballard. A Field In England wasn’t half as good in rewatch without benefit of stimulae. And the serial killers traveling around the Peak District thing, gave me the same feeling Mike Leigh films sometimes hit me with. That the director is a sneering heartless fuck.

I probably shouldn’t watch his films twice anyways.

Comment

‘Free Fire’ is great, one of my films of the year. Though we discussed it around it’s release and I think opinions was mixed.

Comment

I liked Get Out a lot--it's very original and very well done. And commercially successful.

Top 5 certainly, but film of the year is pushing it.

Comment

I thought it was really good. And Bradley Whitford should get best supporting actor, Oscar.

Comment

This is the most subversive film in living memory.
                It is stacked with so many hidden metaphors that i like most black people are genuinely shocked it got made.

Comment

Some of the hidden Metaphors for Get Out.

The dead deer and the reaction to it from the black man and his "girlfriend's" father https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35edGMhrIho
                  The mother talking about "black mould in the cellar"
                  The father talking about how he would have voted for Obama a third time
                  The father mentioning how his father lost to Jesee Owen and "never completely getting over it"
                  The brother who initially came across as cool, turned out to be the most racist
                  Using the white woman to screen and entrap black men (and women) who could be useful to them
                  The dinner scene with and some of the coded comments, especially Jujitsu https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIiPBXFKHjM
                  The way the black guy was being probed and prodded at dinner and at the dinner party the following day like a piece of meat was they assessed how best he can be "used".
                  How the shining of the light would temporarily awaken the other black people in the film.
                  The silent auction,
                  The hypnotism by the mother.

The original ending was a lot more depressing and was reshot to make the real meaning of the film less obvious.

Definitely my film of the year. Shakespearean in the multiple levels.

Comment

What happens in the original ending?

Comment

There were real policemen rather than his TSA friend in the police car and he is imprisoned for Murder.
                      Explained here
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5l6zYSnvXcY&t=194s

Comment

I may as well put my hotly-anticipated ‘List of Every New/Theatrically-Released Film I Saw in 2017 In No Particular Order’ list here. I’ve decided to allow reissues as long as I saw them in the cinema.

I was aiming to see 50 which I just managed to squeeze in under the wire (not including films I saw multiple times) and my favourites were ‘Dunkirk’ (by far the best film I saw all year and a masterpiece), ‘Free Fire’, ‘The Death of Stalin’ and ‘Paddington 2’.

I was particularly underwhelmed by ‘Baby Driver’ & ‘Murder On The Orient Express’ and didn’t think ‘La La Land’ quite justified all the fuss, good though it was. ‘The Dinner’ was by far the worst film of the year, excruciating despite it’s excellent cast.

Overall though, my hot take on 2017’s cinema is “Haven’t there been an awful lot of films starting with the letter L?” :

Alien : Covenant
                        Amadeus - Director’s Cut
                        Baby Driver
                        The Beguiled
                        The Big Sick
                        Blade Runner 2049
                        City of Tiny Lights
                        Colossal
                        The Death of Stalin
                        Denial
                        The Dinner
                        Don't Take Me Home
                        Dunkirk x 2
                        Free Fire x 2
                        Get Out
                        Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2
                        Hampstead
                        Handsome Devil
                        Hell or High Water
                        Hidden Figures
                        The Hippopotamus
                        It’s A Wonderful Life
                        John Wick Chapter 2
                        Jumanji - Welcome To The Jungle
                        Kong : Skull Island
                        La La Land
                        The LEGO Batman Movie
                        Life
                        The Limehouse Golem
                        Lion
                        Live By Night
                        Logan
                        Logan Lucky
                        Love Actually - Live in Concert
                        Man and Memory
                        Manic Street Preachers : Escape From History
                        Mindhorn
                        Murder On The Orient Express
                        My Cousin Rachel
                        Paddington 2
                        The Party
                        Passengers x 2
                        Spider-Man : Homecoming
                        Star Wars :The Last Jedi
                        Table 19
                        Their Finest
                        Thor : Ragnarok x 2
                        War for the Planet of the Apes
                        Why Him?
                        Wonder Woman

Comment

I know it's a year old, but Colbert's researchers just put the big twist in its intro clip for his interview with Kaluuya. WTF?

Comment

Working...
                          X