Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
    I didn't know it was a cover either.

But having now heard it, William's version is a pretty straight-up cover.
    That's correct, because Robbie Williams hired Karl Wallinger's (World Party's) tour band to record it. Without asking Wallinger or asking permission.

Comment

Originally posted by antoine polus View Post
      That's correct, because Robbie Williams hired Karl Wallinger's (World Party's) tour band to record it. Without asking Wallinger or asking permission.
      The connection being Guy Chambers, formerly Karl Wallinger's co-writer in World Party (but not involved in that song) who was by then the man behind Williams' solo success.

Comment

Ah, so he's the one.

Comment

Just caught up with "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" book. Malan raves about the other Soloman Linda and the Evening Birds songs from that 1939 session and rightly so. This is a gem:

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
            Ah, so he's the one.
            Belated applause. So late in fact, it's almost as if you put that message in a box, put the box into a car, and drove the car around the world, to get it to me.

Comment

Prince Charming (Adam & The Ants) was based on War Canoe by Rolf Harris, and I believe that paedo Harris now gets royalties from it (as of a 2010 ruling).

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                Belated applause. So late in fact, it's almost as if you put that message in a box, put the box into a car, and drove the car around the world, to get it to me.
                Till he got heard.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                  Prince Charming (Adam & The Ants) was based on War Canoe by Rolf Harris, and I believe that paedo Harris now gets royalties from it (as of a 2010 ruling).
                  No, they made him a one-off payment, as he'd ripped off a traditional Maori tune himself.

Comment

A great many gospel songs were ripped off - secularized - by soul and r 'n' b acts. "Land Of A Thousand Dances" being a fine example.

Comment

My 'go-to' track in this kind of thing is always The Sabres Of Paradise's 'Smokebelch II', which was massive (within its scene) but shamelessly ripped off L.B. Bad's 'New Age Of Faith'. Amazingly, Weatherall held out on crediting the latter for years - a blot on his copybook in the opinion of many.

Comment

There was no indication that 'Torn' was a cover when it became a massive hit for Natalie Imbruglia. Then someone dug up the original version.

Comment

Madonna's Ray of Light borrowed heavily from an obscure old folk number called Sepheryn, recorded by forgotten UK duo Curtiss Maldoon back in the seventies. She, at least, had the good grace - or more likely was advised - to acknowledge this, making surviving writer Dave Curtiss a fairly wealthy man on the back of the continuing royalties.

(What is it with all these re-emerging threads?)

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                            What is it with all these re-emerging threads?
                            The much missed adams house cat is back, and checking up on what'd been going on since he was last here.

Comment

Ah, of course.

"They thought he was a goner, but..."

Comment

True GO. Be doing that for a few days. Apologies for any annoyance to anyone. I'll be back to my maintenance dose soon.

Comment

No annoyances. It's useful to check for anything that might've been missed...

Comment

Oh no, house cat, every post of yours is like catnip to us. It's just a pity you don't deal those drugs more frequently.

Comment

Working...
                                    X