Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's four, from another breakaway.

Comment

An unnecessarily long injury substitution gives the players plenty of time to get colder.

And Cricklewood go nap. Or is it knap?

Comment

The scorer injured himself in the act of scoring. At this rate, Wanderers will end up with more goals than fit players...

Comment

Bit of a ruckus on the pitch leads to a stramash in the tunnel as the ref blows for half time without adding on any injury time...

Comment

South Kilburn's keeper has gone home. Has he been sent off or just had enough?

Comment

Just had enough, it looks like. And the floodlights are coming on, which rather blows the logic of the half-two kick-off...

Comment

It's now six. I missed it as I was checking on the Millers' latest debacle...

Comment

The fact that South Kilburn's defence appears to be actually working this half must be due to the way they've stopped swearing at each other, and are encouraging each other instead...

Comment

Seven-nil. I've never seen anyone score more than seven...

Comment

Rooney-esque lob gives me my first ever eight just before time...

Comment

Trencin 5 Zilina 2

You can't go wrong with this fixture. I know we've discussed Trencin on here before, mainly the fact that they are run by Tschen La Ling, once an ally of Johan Cryuff at Ajax. He has them operating as a transit club for players from areas like Nigeria, North Africa and the Caucasus, who can be developed for sale to sides in Belgium or the Netherlands. Whatever the rights and wrongs of that, they have some fantastic talents and their football is devoid of fear. Sometimes it works for them, sometimes it doesn't. They've had two 7-goal away wins this season, yet were only mid-table going into this game. But they destroyed Zilina, scoring 3 in the first 17 minutes and continuing to create chances throughout.

Only problem is the ground. It is spectacularly situated, with Trencin Castle as the backdrop, but three sides of it have been a building-site for three years now. This does the club no good in Europe, as they can't play real 'home' games, and it's a pain to go in or out of on a day like today, when the snow's melting and everything's turning to mud.

Comment

Eventually ended up at Brigg Town v Grimsby Borough in Division One of the Northern Counties East. Brigg have a decent ground that reflects that they have played at a higher level, but have dropped down the divisions in recent seasons and entered this game bottom of the league, whilst visitors Grimsby started the day second. Brigg showed some promise in the first half but once the visitors scored it seemed inevitable that they would take the three points. It finished 3-0 to Grimsby.

In fixture rearrangment news, it turns out that I will have another chance to go to Boston next Saturday - they and Southport both had a blank weekend due to early Trophy exits. Think I'll keep an eye on the weather forecast before deciding if I'm going.

Comment

Just about thawed out from a trip high above a freezing Newcastle. Brilliant atmosphere created by "The greatest fans in the world" for their 125th anniversary. Most of those fans then fucked off with over 5 minutes to go when their team went behind. Leicester played well and should have put the game to bed before Gayles equaliser. Still showing up well under Puel who looks an excellent appointment. Europe league spot could be ours.

Comment

Vital win for Norwich and our first home victory in three months. The first half hour was as bad as anything this season. Wednesday were a goal up, yet failed to capitalise on an out of form team with the crowd on their back. They looked decent and sharp at the beginning, but never threatened at all in the second half. As longeared mentions in the other thread, they resorted by pumping long balls to Atdhe Nuhiu, who either knocked them down to nobody in particular, or was beaten comortably in the air by Timm Klose and Grant Hanley.

Based on the chances created, Norwich deserved it, but the reality is that we're probably going to finish roughly where we are (mid table). A few people are saying it was our best 45 minutes of the season and talking as if we've turned into Barcelona. It was decent, and welcome, but not mind blowing, and I think we played better during our unbeaten run a while back. God help us if and when James Maddison leaves, especially if Alex Pritchard follows suit, but a relief to end our godawful run.

Comment

Accrington v Swindon.
                                No match for us last week as we have "opted out" (i.e lost to Guiseley) the FA Cup. So I was proper looking forward to this match against a promotion rival. It's been a bit parky lately but the pitch was declared "playable" at 10.00. We should have seen the warning signs when Accrington's twitter said that the ref was staying at the ground in case conditions deteriorate. There was some snow fall but it got warmer as the morning went on and a second inspection at 11.00 gave the go ahead.
                                The snow had stopped and all seemed set fair until at 12.49 Accrington's twitter announced Game Off.
                                Frustrating for me, sure, but seriously pissing off for any Swindon fans who had made the journey and for the club who lose a stack of money over this.
                                Part of being Up North is that sometimes the weather hits and we just have to take it. But there was no deterioration from 9.30/10.00, indeed the day got 2 or 3 degrees warmer. Andy Holt (Accrington's owner) has a very informative twitter feed @Andyhholt which gives his take on the matter. With no match on he was able to give twitter the full power of his rants!

Comment

Oxford scored in the 96th minute against Doncaster to win one nil. Darren Ferguson was very upset. I guess he was hoping that the player who had been on the ground claiming injury for most of the minimum of 3 minutes the referee allocated would have seen the draw out.

Oxford patchy. not much threat up front. but occasionally knocked the ball around well. Huddersfield loanee Jack Payne always a pleasure to watch and Oxford's Brazilian Swedish left back Richardinho and Dutch Tiandelli right back played some nice stuff. Tiandelli hasn't played for a couple of years. Manager Pep Clotet has brought in a job lot of international injury prone slightly-better-than journeymen, but scorer Josh Ruffels grew up a few hundred yards from the Manor, where his dad had a butchers shop.

Referee terrible. He gave Oxford a penalty which was at least 2 yards outside the area. (which Jack Payne hit weakly straight at the keeper) he failed to give a far more clear cut one in the first half, and he turned a blind eye to some off the ball stuff, especially a clear and nasty kick from John Marquis on Ricardinho after the ball had gone. (When he stopped shoving, kicking and generally making an arse of himself he looked a reasonable player). Doncaster team consisted mostly of big blokes who in their pinkish stripe looked a bit like a hen party. They hit the post in the second half when they really should have scored, and a draw would probably have been a fairer result.

Comment

Aldershot Town 0 FC Halifax Town 1

This should have only gone one way. The lowly visitors were eleven games without a win and had kept one clean sheet in ten while the hosts were fourth, had won four of their last five games, were the joint-highest scorers in the division and have not conceded a goal in six-and-a-half hours of football over the last month.

The relative comfort with which the Shaymen picked up the points was something of a shock then. They were helped by the Shots seeming fielding nobody playing a forwards role, opting for what appeared to be six midfielders by the way they played. The sole goal came for a dreadful air kick of a hopeful through ball by the home keeper (a loanee from Reading who my son told me pre-match was being talked up in the programme) leaving a Halifax forward free on an unguarded goal.

We loved the Recreation Ground, at a match the night before a mate had told me it was a “proper old Division Four ground” and it more than lived up to that glowing description. Town centre grounds are always great and this was wedged right in the middle of Aldershot dominating the area around it despite being deceptively tight and noisy when you got in. The huge old home bank looked a great setting for the noisy hardcore support and both stands running the length of the pitch had a mixture of seats and terracing. A great club shop with a collection of past shirts decorating it too.

I’d be tempted by their Boxing Day derby against Woking, as I bet that would be a great crowd and atmosphere, it not sure I’ll get away with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                                      Doncaster team consisted mostly of big blokes who in their pinkish stripe looked a bit like a hen party.
                                      Hen parties in Oxford are weird.

Dulwich Hamlet 2-1 Brightlingsea Regent

Hamlet looked like they were going to run away with this when they went two up before the half hour mark, having already missed a few decent chances. But the visitors pulled one back just before the break - which I missed as I'd already joined the queue to the slowest tea-bar in football - and the second half proved to be end to end, and but for Preston Edwards in the Hamlet goal, Regent could've snatched an equaliser.

Second half I got stuck surrounded by a few of the 'not really follow football, but Dulwich Hamlet is a thing to do on a Saturday' crowd. Two were convinced they were playing Bridlington; another at one point voiced "It always amazes me how there's so many linesman to go round, you know, even at this level they still have two"

Comment

"And look, corner flags and everything!"

Comment

Dudenhofen 0-3 Homburg

Homburg made it 22 wins out of 22 and didn't really have to try too hard in Dudenhofen. The home side's best chance was a misdirected header from a visiting defender, they didn't have the speed or ability to put Homburg under more than sporadic pressure and they have got a long battle ahead of them to avoid relegation right back to the Verbandsliga after the winter break. Hope they survive though, it's a decent little ground and very friendly people there. This is their first season at this level (Oberliga = 5th tier) and they have done a lot of work over the last few years to get it up to scratch. Just a shame that they don't seem to be able to attract many new fans: they had over 800 there for the visit of Kaiserslautern II and 300-odd on Saturday, but normally struggle to break the 200 mark. Speyer has got two teams at Oberliga level (Dudenhofen & Mechtersheim), FC Speyer (resulting from a merger in 2009) in the Verbandsliga and a couple of older clubs lower down the leagues. But none of them seem to be able to tap into any sort of reservoir of local interest, even with general dissatisfaction with the Bundesliga/DFB on the increase and thousands of fans in the region staying away from Kaiserslautern fixtures as they have been so consistently awful over the last five years or so.

Sandhausen 3-1 Bielefeld

I had planned to text imp a couple of updates from this match, but it was too cold for me to take my gloves off and use my phone. This was proper, old-school winter football: a mudpit of a pitch covered in a layer of fresh snow, groundstaff out brushing the lines clear and a dayglo ball being booted skwards as players skittered around like bambi on ice, sliding into touch when trying to tackle. Great stuff, was really enjoyable to watch and Sandhausen turned the form book on its head to bag a 3-1 win. They went ahead just before halftime, Bielefeld equalised just after the break and it seemed like the game could be turning for a few minutes, but Sandhausen managed to apply some pressure and scored two in the final 20 minutes to seal it. Both goals resulted from some midfield scrapping, with passes either misplaced or sticking a bit in the mud and then a home striker suddenly appearing in a one-on-one situation, producing a pretty cool finish on each occasion. They're supposed to have another home game next weekend against Kiel, but given that the pitch already resembled a pudding, the snow melted overnight and rain is forecast for the rest of the week, can't see that one taking place...

Comment

Liverpool 0-0 WBA

More frustration. This time Klopp picked the line up that everyone else would've done, but they still couldn't pick their way through West Brom's two disciplined lines of defence. Couple of times they had almost made it through, but chose the wrong final ball or shot when there was a defender in the way, but generally they just weren't good enough to unlock a team set up to play like that. West Brom were more ambitious in the second half and launched a couple of attacks, but generally relied on getting the ball out for Rondon to hold it up (something he does very well). Dispiriting time-wasting tactics from about the half hour mark though.

Liverpool MOTM for me was probably Klavan, didn't have lots to do but looked reassuringly gaffe-free when he did get involved. For once I was glad to be up in the shelter of the Main Stand upper as coming out of the stand into a 40mph icy gale was fairly unpleasant.

Comment

Working...
                                            X