Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things that give you shivers

In a good way.

I went to listen to some Stockhausen last night, which was really very good, the pieces that made up Zodiac which are magical (and include a tuba solo) and the quite eerie Trans.

The reason for this thread though is that I got shivers from the orchestra tuning up. And it's something that always does that to me. It's a beautiful sound and it just possesses me.

Is there anything that always affects you like that?
    Last edited by Levin; 07-12-2017, 15:04.

Modern dance, especially NDT. We're going to see this tonight in Utrecht:

"Football: the working man's ballet"
    Pat Nevin

Comment

Working in Istanbul and walking every evening down to the Besiktas area for somewhere to eat. The calling to prayer of the mosques as I walked down to the Bosphorus was something else to hear and sent a shiver up my spine every time.

Comment

Two years ago, we walked across the massive sand dune at Jockey Ridge State Park at sundown. It was gorgeous, silent, eerie and magical. Like...people walking toward the second coming or something. It was incredibly moving at the time, and I can still remember the feeling now.

Comment

Cotton wool. Sets my teeth on edge.

Also soapy Brillo pads.

Comment

Originally posted by nmrfox View Post
            Working in Istanbul and walking every evening down to the Besiktas area for somewhere to eat. The calling to prayer of the mosques as I walked down to the Bosphorus was something else to hear and sent a shiver up my spine every time.
            When were you there Foxy? Until I got used to hearing the call to prayer it would do something similar to me. Especially when I was in Ankara and you could hear it coming at different times from mosques on the different hillsides.

Comment

Since we're talking places, the Grand Canyon - especially at around 6am when the sun rises to throw its detail into relief and surrender its full majesty.

The enormity of the chasm is, of course, something to behold, but the manner in which viewing it dissolves space and distance is what makes the hair stand on end. I can recall looking at a Mesa that appeared to be no further from me than the equivalent of a couple of blocks, yet - on reading the information to hand - transpired to be more than twenty miles away. A discovery that fair took my breath.

Stop me if I wax too lyrical.

Comment

Yeah ,the Grand Canyon, Niagara Falls, the first sight of the Rockies from the Alberta side. All sublime in it's true meaning, majestic and fearful. On a more intimate level, my neighbourhood at night fits the bill. A sub-division of a couple of thousand people, separated from town by several miles of farmland. and pushed up against the bay. It is uncannily quiet. After 9:00am you never see a soul. The tide seems very distant. The only activity comes from an almost ever present wind, whether gentle breeze or howling gale. Occasionally even that is stilled, as now when we've had almost a week of thick fogs. Then the streets become downright eerie. If you let it the claustrophobic silence could become downright oppressive.

Comment

Working...
                X