Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Couldn't tell Lou Reed from Doug Yule
    Teams
    Raith Rovers/Liverpool
    Biscuit
    Abernethies
    Yeah, it took my about 6 months to get past the MOR polish, into the dark heart of the Dan.

...nice though the abattoir is!
    Teams
    The patch, the pitch, the Poch...
    Biscuit
    Taffnell's Almond 'n' Raisin Shortie
    Actor
    Virginia McKenna in drag
    Quote Originally Posted by WOM View Post
    It's not the jazz noodly part that turns me off. It's the schmaltzy lyrics. They don't just sound like they were written for elevators, but in elevators. I mean, could Rikki Don't... be any more tepid? What's their best album, if I wanted to give them a go, like?
    We've had the WOM 'Steely Dan/schmaltz' issue before, eh?

https://www.onetouchfootball.com/sho...cc-Story/page3

As I said back there (two years ago this week, OTFact fans), this really is not a workable definition of 'schmaltz'. The latter (in musical context) represents the sentimental, the saccharine, the mawkish - the musical equivalent of a 'weepie' movie, perhaps. Steely Dan's output might often be polished and produced, but the lyrics really aren't...hold on, I've done this.

I'd say go with Pretzel Logic, The Royal Scam, Aja...but I don't think this is going to be for you. One either gets the Dan, or one doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by WOM View Post
    Excellent news. I like her already.
    Why, thank you. And yes, she's lovely.

I ought to report you to the Gnome Office
    Teams
    Bolton Wanderers, SpVgg Unterhaching
    Quote Originally Posted by Lang Spoon View Post
    I despised Steely Dan and their jazz chords for months while I was subjected to their music in a flat share. Now they seem eternal, indispensable. Itís hard to imagine how violently my ears reacted to this cheesy smoothness. I had to hear the waspish as fuck lyrics, get lost in the stories, before I really got it.

More straight-ahead SFA sampled Showbiz Kids helped acclimatize me to them as well.
    Yes, I was exactly the same. "Too clever by half" was my long-standing belief, until I realised it wasn't necessarily a bad thing.

Also the Dan are the only band both my father and I like (he being a dyed-in-the-wool jazz fan), so at least we can go to gigs together (at least to see Nearly Dan, rather than Fagan & Co.).

...nice though the abattoir is!
    Teams
    The patch, the pitch, the Poch...
    Biscuit
    Taffnell's Almond 'n' Raisin Shortie
    Actor
    Virginia McKenna in drag
    That's pretty much the only gig I'd be likely to attend with my sister - as indeed we did last month at the Jazz Cafe. Much fun it was, too.

Biscuit
    Oatmeal Chocolate Chip
    I suspect I just have to give up. I'm genuinely excited to hear the genius that many others hear, but I can't. I just hear 'tunes to polish teeth by'.

Biscuit
    Oatmeal Chocolate Chip
    Can has been an interesting experience though. Some neat ideas being explored there.

I can see why one night feel that Steely Dan's music is lacking in soul, but the musicianship is worth exploring. For example, there is a joy in listening to "Aja" -- a song I don't particularly love -- simply for that drum track by Steve Gadd. In fact, on all of Aja, listen to the drumming.

You never can tell with bees.
    Teams
    Manchester United, River Plate and Barcelona
    Biscuit
    Dark chocolate digestive
    Actor
    A young David Bowie
    Steely Dan have some really funky music that I enjoy, but more than the lyrics I've just never been able to get on with the sound of the singer's voice. I'm not sure why, it just totally puts me off wanting to listen to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lang Spoon View Post
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dMbC__R24t0

India from Sun Ra. The electric piano reminds me of In a Silent Way, which must be a decade later than 56 at least. The future is (was) now. Really have been missing out, this is actually good stuff, not just a Bobby Gillespie/Mojo/Uncut prescribed idea of whatís good.