X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a result of this thread
    https://twitter.com/lynneguist/status/942771617305948160

Comment

toilet also used to mean a dressing table. from toile, to "a fine cloth cover on the dressing table for the articles spread upon it;" thence "the articles, collectively, used in dressing" (mirror, bottles, brushes, combs, etc.) and also occasionally the table itself. I remember a Victorian poem which said something about the "toilet seat" which we found very amusing.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
        Ok, having now done some research, it does indeed seem like it was originally think. Though most places do say that the corrupted version of thing is actually more widely used than think these days, which by the measure of usage actually makes it right too. But, yeah, alright.
        Get in!

Comment

Have we really reached page five without a mention of the phrase "the smell of their colon"?

Comment

Ok, having now done some research, it does indeed seem like it was originally think. Though most places do say that the corrupted version of thing is actually more widely used than think these days, which by the measure of usage actually makes it right too. But, yeah, alright.
            So - 'If you think you can get away with that, you've got another thing coming...'?

I despair sometimes.

Comment

A woman on my local Facebook community page asked for recommendations for a 'good Plummer' yesterday. The first six people recommended Christopher before the woman said "I don't get it." Not even a picture of Amanda cleared it up.

Comment

Have we had "one foul swoop" yet?

Comment

Or "beckon call"?

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                    So - 'If you think you can get away with that, you've got another thing coming...'?

I despair sometimes.
                    Given that this phrase clearly needs a noun and think is not and has never been a noun, I believe my mistake is not only understandable but actually logical

Comment

"A bit of a damp squid".

Comment

... think is not and has never been a noun ...
                        Having had a think about that I believe your statement to be incorrect.

Comment

Indeed, as I tried to point out upthread.

It's not a particularly pleasing noun, but a noun nonetheless.

(But, ad hoc, I was less criticising your [very commonplace] error than despairing at yet another incorrect expression being absorbed into the language...)
                          Last edited by Jah Womble; 22-12-2017, 12:31.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post

I despair sometimes.
                            I meant to mention that, after reading this example t'other day, I wound up walking around the mall doing my Christmas shopping mumbling a Judas Priest song for about two hours. Given that I was never a Judas Priest fan, it wasn't a welcome (or, if I'm being honest, wholly unwelcome) thing.

Comment

What song?

Comment

Assuming you're not being a goose for comic effect, I'd imagine it was this one.

Comment

tussu fanny, cunt
                                  tussi(kynä) felt pen

as a friend found out when he went into a shop and asked for the wrong kind of pen.

Comment

The similarities between Scandinavian languages and Cumbrian dialect are fascinating.

Comment

Guardian obits - who we've lost this year - Katy Lux [mort] and Katy Wix

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
                                        Assuming you're not being a goose for comic effect, I'd imagine it was this one.
                                        Ah right. I mean, yeah, I guessed there'd be some song or other with some related title or lyric, I suppose. I've just never heard of it. Or if I have, I've managed to forget it.

And I went to see JP once, in concert, and everything.

Comment

See, I quite like Judas Priest, but then I'm into loud guitars and bonkers histrionics. Things which - for whatever reason - I wouldn't have thought were your bag.

Comment

It was a long, long time ago.

Comment

Brasserie and Brassiere

Comment

Lacksadaisical. More often than not.

Comment

That's more from the domain of the under-educated football pundit than a 'confused' word.

'Subtleties' and 'subtitles'. Since, oh, just now.

Comment

I always hear respite as rest bite.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X