Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WOM View Post
    ?
    E.g. 'Waiting with bated breath' is often mis-spelt 'waiting with baited breath'...

Comment

I keep seeing 'kerb' and 'curb' interchanged - including published in a novel I'm currently reading. Which is really irritating.

This morning I also read "they give us feedback piece mail".
      What in the world should that have been?

Comment

Piecemeal.

Comment

Originally posted by jdsx View Post
          E.g. 'Waiting with bated breath' is often mis-spelt 'waiting with baited breath'...
          Right...but I think you're supposed to post the witnessed fuckup, not the correct way...

Comment

Originally posted by wiblflibl View Post
            Piecemeal.
            Oh, I see. People really are 'thick as'.

'The whole kitten caboodle.' I saw that a few years back.

Comment

A kitten caboodle sounds like a nice thing, though.

Comment

Yep - it sounds like something cozy to wear in winter.

Comment

Yep. Served with something mulled as part of that whole 'hygge' thing.

Comment

Right...but I think you're supposed to post the witnessed fuckup, not the correct way...
                    What does "bated" mean?

Comment

Originally posted by jdsx View Post
                      And, although it's slightly off topic, "If you think I'm going to contribute to this thread, you've got another ***** coming."

This is the phrase which causes more argument than anything (of a similar nature) I have ever come across; virtually everyone is absolutely convinced that their version of the word/phrase is correct, and that the 'alternative' is not only incorrect, but it is simply incredible that anyone could even conceive of saying it!

The missing word is clearly 'thing', by the way.....anyone who thinks it is 'think' is utterly wrong....
                      Also 'think' is not a noun. 'Another thought' might work.

Comment

“Bated” means to hold in suspense. It has the same root as “abate” and is now almost exclusively used with “breath”.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                          Also 'think' is not a noun. 'Another thought' might work.
                          Well, it kind of 'is' - when used in a sentence such as 'if I were you, I'd have a think about that'.

Comment

This can be extended into "similar domain names". For example:

http://www.penisland.net

Sadly this one has long since been corrected.

Comment

Someone who's written a new style-guide for Buzzfeed, and published it as a guide for on-line English usage, was interviewed on CBC yesterday. In reply to question as to why such a guide was necessary she said "Well, to get to the nutshell of the problem... "

Huh? I suppose she meant "in a nutshell" or, better, "the kernel of the problem." Anyway I'm not inclined to buy her book.

Comment

Nobody who's a guest on CBC can speak any more. Most of them now begin their answer to perfectly routine questions with "Yeah, great! So..." Or "Of course! So, I...."

Comment

Quite. When exactly did "So..." become the default intro to any answer? It wasn't that long ago I'm sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                    I keep seeing 'kerb' and 'curb' interchanged
                                    As a verb, you mean? And "keep" interchanging? How often do you use "kerb" / "curb" in a novel?

Comment

Originally posted by SouthdownRebel View Post
                                      This can be extended into "similar domain names". For example:

http://www.penisland.net

Sadly this one has long since been corrected.
                                      I recall one where a therapist had a URL along the lines of .....therapist.com (possibly apocryphal).

Mrs Flibl often told me how someone would "woof down" their food.

Comment

Cynical when people mean sceptical.

Comment

"Cynical" appears to mean any number of things. "That's an ugly new building."; "Oh, don't be so cynical. It's nice."

Comment

could of, would of, should of

Those will be correct soon if they aren't already.

Comment

I went through years at school writing 'orgasm' instead of 'organism' in biology lessons.

Probably not totally in keeping with the thread as I'm not sure it caused any issues except maybe giving my teacher a good laugh. I don't recall my spelling ever being corrected I had to work it out for myself.

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
                                                As a verb, you mean? And "keep" interchanging? How often do you use "kerb" / "curb" in a novel?
                                                I'm confused by this one as well. Isn't "curb" simply the US spelling and "kerb" the British one? I've never seen anyone spell the verb "kerb".

Comment

Originally posted by Greenlander View Post
                                                  I went through years at school writing 'orgasm' instead of 'organism' in biology lessons.

Probably not totally in keeping with the thread as I'm not sure it caused any issues except maybe giving my teacher a good laugh. I don't recall my spelling ever being corrected I had to work it out for myself.
                                                  You're not alone....
                                                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVUJNLQItBM

Comment

i like

"pre Madonna"

Comment

Working...
                                                    X