Johnny Hallyday has disappeared

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Johnny Hallyday has disappeared

Well Johnny is no longer there, and in true French understatement instead of saying , "il est mort", they say "il a disparu" - first time I came a cross this about someone "dissapearing" I thought it was like a Lord Lucan situation.

Aside from that, he was 74, voice like a old gravel pit, had 5 marriages, appeared on so many front covers of french mags, I think they will go out of business without him, and the fact he seemed to single handed, keep Gauloise in business, no surprises that lung cancer got him in the end.
    I was never a fan, dreary meat and potatoes style of what certain french think is "rock" music; but I think he certainly packed it in to his life. A sort of an anti Cliff Richard .

So bye, bye Johnny Smets, you can have a rest from all the crap you surrounded yourself with now.

I've still never heard a single Johnny Hallyday record.

Comment

I don't think I have but I always used to enjoy saying "djjonnny ally-day" in a cod French accent. (see also Francoise 'ardy)

Comment

How about his albums?

My first, main and probably 'only' association with Johnny Hallyday was via a chapter from Le Français d'Aujourd'hui (ie, our school text book), in which Marie-Claude was getting excited about buying the new 'disque de Johnny'. Further to this, I cannot recall ever hearing one of his tunes either - and don't think he impacted anywhere non-French-speaking. Yet Hallyday somehow shifted 100 million records.

RIP.

Comment

Yep, I remember that from Le Français d'Aujourd hui, and that M. Bertillon worked as a douanier at Orly. And the famille lived in an apartement à Sceaux. Anyway.

He (Johnny) seemed ever-present in French media when we used to go there on hollyday in the 80s and 90s.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
            Yep, I remember that from Le Français d'Aujourd hui, and that M. Bertillon worked as a douanier at Orly. And the famille lived in an apartement à Sceaux.
            Indeed he did. I recall a chapter in which M Bertillon stopped a 'contrabandier' at Orly by chucking a briefcase at the villain's legs, causing him to trip, thereby making Monsieur B quite the hero of the hour.

Marie-Claude was a beeyatch, though - I mean, imagine frightening an elderly neighbour by planting a fake bomb at her door. Clearly learned f***-all from her dad.

Anyway, 'Johnny Hallyday'...

Comment

Boney M earworm.

Comment

Requiescat in pace

Comment

I'm guessing that was taken on one of his British tours...

Comment

I'm trying to imagine another country that would have given "their Johnny" the equivalent of a state funeral (Macron is speaking at the moment)

Jah, the woman in the photo above is Sylvie Vartan. It's taken from a rehearsal in 1965.

Comment

Working...
                    X