Banned By the Babylon? Midweek Matchgoing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Banned By the Babylon? Midweek Matchgoing

I was planning to go to the London Senior Cup tie between Metropolitan Police and Clapton on Wednesday. It seemed like a potentially interesting culture clash, despite the fact that there are no actual coppers in the Met’s side and they don’t really have any supporters.

However, the ground is owned by the force and away fans have allegedly been banned from attending at all. I’m not quite sure how they are going to prevent Clapton supporters who turn up (without the usual paraphernalia) from attending but it’s all a bit boring and an over reaction.

I watched Southport lose 5-1 at Widnes this evening in the Liverpool Senior Cup. It was not good. Over three months since they last won a game now.

Comment

Met Police sneak out a midnight statement less than 48 hours before the match based on hearsay.

Comment

I was watching Birmingham City v Aston Villa in the pub last night and noticed the ground wasn't full, a crowd of just 19,000 in fact. For a derby game against their rivals from across the city. I think this is the sign that the football bubble has burst.

Comment

? It was in October, and there were 24000+ there...

Comment

Sorry, it was Birmingham v Wolves

Comment

Sorry for not getting back to your message, Ray.

I'm not going, I imagine a few will still go, though. I know a lot of money and time would have been spent on developing the tifo for the match, leaving the ultras out of pocket.

It's all McBean, of course. This is the same stunt he tried to pull with Macabi London Lions and he got away with at Southend.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul S View Post
                I was watching Birmingham City v Aston Villa in the pub last night and noticed the ground wasn't full, a crowd of just 19,000 in fact. For a derby game against their rivals from across the city. I think this is the sign that the football bubble has burst.
                It’s more a sign that Birmingham fans are sick of losing games while watching Cotterill’s dire attritional football. They are in the bottom three and have scored a grand total of 10 goals this season.

Comment

To be fair, at least they are doing a job of representing their owners.

Comment

...by being lying discriminating cunts, if that wasn't clear.

Comment

Liverpool v Spartak Moscow tonight. Hoping that Liverpool cut out the defensive catastrophes and win this one to top the group.

Comment

If you lot are going to start defending properly, then I'm going to have to stop watching.

Comment

I went to Tranmere at lunchtime to watch Liverpool's under 18 side play Spartak Moscow in the UEFA Youth League. Nothing riding on the game, with Liverpool having already won the group and a place in the last 16, and Spartak having secured second a place in the playoff round. Liverpool looked pretty good and deservedly won 2-0. Main talking point came towards the end when Rhian Brewster was clearly unhappy about something, which seems to have been racial abuse from one of the Spartak players, and he spent some time talking to the referee and fourth official. On the final whistle he really kicked off and was more or less hauled down the tunnel by his teammates and club officials.

Comment

There was an incident at the Moscow leg of the youth competition too, but that was fans rather than a player.

Lots of Spartak fans in the pub this evening, but they mostly looked like students - rather than the Orel Butchers who'd paid Maribor a visit earlier in the tournament and left quite an impression on the locals we talked to.

Comment

There was a decent number of Spartak fans at the youth game - at least a hundred or so, and made a decent noise. They were given the normal away end at Prenton Park - apparently Maribor fans at the previous match had been allowed to sit in the main stand with the home fans.

Comment

Bath City won 5-4 on penalties away at Margate last night - beating our converted penalties tally for the whole of the last three seasons in one fell swoop. The other main talking point was a 400 mile trip to Margate on a Tuesday night only for the kick off to be delayed by roadworks and traffic. Most of our supporters (and, likely, team) got back at 4am. Something's got to be done about regionalisation at this stage in the Trophy. Either that or go to penalties as soon as there is a draw in the first match.

Comment

Metropolitan Police 3 Clapton 1

A pitiful crowd of 28 braved the cold conditions, full pat down & bag search from lairy stewards and general air of underwhelment to actually see a decent game.

The Met scored two goals from corners, their only real threat, in the first hour but were played off the park in the second half by the visitors from two levels below. The Tons could only claim one goal for their efforts though and the Babylon added a third a minute later effectively ending the tie.

One has to wonder how much better an evening it would have been had away fans been allowed in to add some atmosphere and if that would have spurred Clapton on to make it an even closer match.

To top off their general disgraceful behaviour, the Met don’t even wear uniform blue any more having switched to a more sky blue shade.
                                  Last edited by Ray de Galles; 09-12-2017, 08:26.

Comment

Filth. Fuckin pigs.

Comment

Working...
                                    X