Cricket Season 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    Especially with Pakistan unable to play at home.

I think that Ray’s vision of a XV/Sevens type split is more likely than not.
    Yes, this. In Union's case I presume it's the Twickenham-filling Test matches that pay the RFU's bills. I suppose to an extent that will still be the case for cricket, with the 'big home summer series' (especially the Ashes) pulling in the crowds.

Then I wonder about the player pools. Are youngsters going to focus on one or the other? Are we going to continue to develop world class Test players? Test is supposed to mean Best.

Comment

Aw no.

Hales joins Rashid in ducking County Cricket.

Tell you what, set up a car-share and Adil can pick you up on the way to London Alex.

Comment

Er....

Originally posted by Etienne View Post
        Guy, what's the point of a message board when you don't read other people's posts?
        Is this a 'thing' you're doing now Guy?

Comment

How much cricket does a county side play now compared to in the mid nineties? Is it a lot less? I'm sure I remember 5 days a week being played, 4 day cc with a sunday league game in the middle plus a B&H mini league and a couple of Natwest games.

Comment

There's less now compared to then, when it was widely agreed that counties played way too much cricket (over a shorter season than now) but no-one could really agree what to do about it. Taking 1998 purely because it's 20 years ago, a county would play:

County Championship: 17 matches, all four days by then
            Sunday League: 17 matches
            B&H Cup: Either 4 or 5 group games, plus up to three possible knockout matches
            NatWest Trophy: Minimum one game, maximum five
            Other: At least one university match (3 days), possible match against the tourists (3 or 4 days for a first class, 1 day for a limited overs game), some counties might play the odd hit and giggle game against each other for some minor sponsors trophy as part of a festival at an outground.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
              Er....

Is this a 'thing' you're doing now Guy?
              I refer the honourable gentleman to my previous responses.

Comment

The 70s were even more punishing than the 90s due to the travel, most ridiculously travelling to a Sunday game in the middle of a Sat-Tues championship game, sometimes a 500 mile round trip, e.g. London to Scarborough.

Comment

And with Brian Close driving.

Comment

Yeah I think we're approaching a XVs/Sevens-style split in cricket now. But it's going to make all international cricket feel more difficult to calibrate in terms of its 'meaning', as some teams will regard victories in some formats as a much bigger deal - or a much lesser thing – than their opponents.

Not surprised by the Hales decision, more depressed by the Rashid one, as he was never given a fair go in Tests: away matches only, and only against the teams most adept at playing spin. A waste.

Comment

RIP Cally.

Comment

This is quite something

Comment

Gutted. I was tempted to pop over at lunch to see the champions but it's non-stop drizzle in Cambridge today.
                          https://twitter.com/EssexCricket/sta...54695891361792
                          https://twitter.com/EssexCricket/status/983254695891361792
                          Last edited by Kevin S; 09-04-2018, 08:48.

Comment

Championship starts on Friday.

Guardian preview has Lancs winning the title, Somerset and Worcestershire down, and Sussex and Warks up.

I don't think Lancs will win, I reckon they have too many batsmen who will end up playing for England if they are scoring runs. I have a sneaky feeling that Leicestershire may have a decent season, but otherwise the predictions look reasonable.

Comment

Blimey, Surrey have picked up Morkel, who no longer is going to be playing internationals.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                                Blimey, Surrey have picked up Morkel, who no longer is going to be playing internationals.
                                The default assumption is that any South African retiring from test cricket will shortly be turning up in the Championship.

Morkel I am sure will do well for Surrey, but it's hard to imagine he can be as successful as Sangakkara was last season.

Comment

Overseas batsmen and spinners seem to have more impact than fast bowlers in recent years; for example, Mushtaq was the key player in Sussex's success (leading county wicket taker in the country for five seasons in a row). Long gone are the days when Marshall and Hadlee were not just the two most effective players in world cricket but also in the county game.
                                  Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 12-04-2018, 02:53.

Comment

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/live-scores

Friday 13th April 2018

Specsavers County Championship - Division One

Yorkshire

V

Essex

Match Delayed: Delayed - No play before Lunch, rain

Lancashire

V

Nottinghamshire

Hampshire

11:00

Worcestershire

Venue: Ageas Bowl, Southampton

Specsavers County Championship - Division Two

Warwickshire

V

Sussex

Middlesex

11:00

Northamptonshire

Venue: Lord's, London

Kent
                                    CLOSE
                                    Gloucestershire
                                    Close - No play Friday due to a wet outfield

Comment

Glad Glamorgan are waiting a week.

Comment

From cricinfo

Hampshire
                                        Worcestershire
                                        Toss uncontested, Worcestershire elected to field first

Eh? What happened there?

Comment

Oh, this is the relatively new thing, isn't it? Shows how much notice I've been paying in recent years.

Comment

Anyway, why I spotted that was there has been a toss between Glamorgan and Cardiff MCCU, so it looks like there is some hope of play today there.

Comment

Yorkshire tweeted a picture a little earlier of the players practising in the indoor school, which made me assume that would be the day's training before the umpires call it off around 2-ish.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post
                                                  Yorkshire tweeted a picture a little earlier of the players practising in the indoor school, which made me assume that would be the day's training before the umpires call it off around 2-ish.
                                                  Anxiously scans the weather forecast for Leeds this weekend…

Comment

Is there a Cricket WTF? thread? :

The England and Wales Cricket Board wants to introduce an innovative '100 balls' format into its new eight-team 'Twenty20' tournament.

The concept could see innings consist of 15 traditional six-ball overs, and a final 10-ball over.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X