Cricket Season 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cricket Season 2018

Fixture lists were released this morning!

Any thoughts on a possible scoring system for a fantasy league based on the County Championship?

Batting

hit a four 1
    hit a six 2
    reach 50 5
    reach 100 10
    Out for duck (bowlers exempt)
    Bowling Points
    Wicket (excluding run-out)
    Bowled a wide -1
    Bowled a no ball -1
    3-fer in an innings 5
    5-fer in an innings 10
    10-fer in the match 20
    Hat-trick 20
    Fielding Points
    Catch
    Stumping
    Run-out - direct hit 15
    Run-out - thrower only
    Run-out - remover of bails 5
    Captain gets double points
    Subs for your player do not score
    (n.b 'caught and bowled' scores 10 for the wicket and 10 for the catch)

Comment

Wonder if for first-class matches there should be a 'deliveries faced' bonus for batting, say an extra point per ten balls.

I have a vague plan in mind but it might be unfeasible.

Comment

The telegraph ran one in the 90's, during the first flush of the fantasy football boom.

Comment

Yeah count me in for whatever format. I can only do better than that pile of crap I support.

Comment

Ah, I was thinking of a homemade version. Maybe just signing up to something would be easier!

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
              The telegraph ran one in the 90's, during the first flush of the fantasy football boom.
              I thought it was quite decent as well. Iirc it was a point for every 20 runs and a bonus for a century.

Comment

I tried doing a homemade fantasy cricket for the 2006-07 Ashes on here, and it was a lot of work. Even if you're much better at spreadsheets than me, I'd balk at trying to do an entire championship season. I'd especially caution at doing anything that isn't immediately obvious from the scorecard - run outs and hat-tricks for instance.

Comment

Suspect you're right. And it looks like The Telegraph did do one last year? Though I don't know if it's free.

Edit - no, according to Reddit it was a very steep £8 last year but seems that there is someone who ran one on their own site there (cricketxi.com)
                  Last edited by Kevin S; 26-01-2018, 09:00.

Comment

Oh sorry, I just meant you might be able to get some ideas for a fantasy cricket from there. But I second Etienne, it would be an awful lot of work.

Comment

The Cricket XI one looks like it might have legs, based on this reddit chat about it and it's currently running a Sheffield Shield competition (see https://cricketxi.com and hover over seasons to see it). The downside that I can see is that you need to log in using either a Facebook, Google or Reddit account rather than just an email address.

Here's an example scoring page from the 2017 County Championship.
                      Last edited by Kevin S; 26-01-2018, 10:41.

Comment

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/43063449 - so no surprises where the 8 T20 teams are to be based from 2020 then. Despite what the ECB may say, its hard to see how the T20 Blast can continue when all of the focus will be on the main event. Wouldn't surprise me to see the County Championship going to the same format sometime after to follow how the Sheffield Shield works. With the volume of games around, especially in the ODI format, I can't really see how the CC can cope with it apart from to become a second class subsidary.

Comment

I don't follow, what format do you see the County Championship adopting to follow the Sheffield Shield?

Comment

Adil Rashid has signed a white ball only contract with Yorkshire for this season.

I reckon we're in the last ten years of first class cricket existing with more or less the same personnel as ODI cricket. Either there will be wholly different players taking part in two disciplines of what is only nominally the same sport, or it will have ceased to exist in total.

Comment

I'm not holding Rashid personally responsible for this, as the last post might have implied.

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne View Post
                                I'm not holding Rashid personally responsible for this, as the last post might have implied
                                Heh. I wonder if the model by 2028 will be rugby league v union or Morlock v Eloi?

Comment

It'll be like 15 a side Rugby's relationship with Sevens, but with the shorter form having the upper hand in cricket's case I imagine.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                    I don't follow, what format do you see the County Championship adopting to follow the Sheffield Shield?
                                    Sorry if I didn't make that clear. I can foresee the County Championship being truncated down to 8 teams, matching those of the T20 competition. Its often been mooted that a smaller CC, like the Sheffield Shield, will improve standards, players etc etc.

Comment

And Adil Rashid announces he will only sign a contract for white ball cricket next season.

Fair enough son, but there's the M1, feel free to drive down it to another county.

Comment

Guy, what's the point of a message board when you don't read other people's posts?

Comment

While I'm deeply troubled by the concept of the white ball only contract, the fact that it's happening at Yorkshire and doubtless making many gruff, salt of the earth types who call a spade a spade and whistle down a mine when they want a new fast bowler explode with self righteous fury, then that draws the sting from it slightly.

Comment

From the link above, the 50 over final will no longer be at Lord's. The culture must have really changed because those were huge events in the 70s.

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne View Post
                                              Adil Rashid has signed a white ball only contract with Yorkshire for this season.

I reckon we're in the last ten years of first class cricket existing with more or less the same personnel as ODI cricket. Either there will be wholly different players taking part in two disciplines of what is only nominally the same sport, or it will have ceased to exist in total.
                                              Ashes Tests are still big business and India is big enough to sustain two sets of personnel but I would worry about any other nation being able to sustain a Test team if half its young talent opts for white ball. The concept of a "tour" is already dead, so teams arrive cold for away Tests, and the series are over just when the teams were starting to get even (South Africa v India). Eventually interest will dry up for those series except among the die-hards.

Comment

Especially with Pakistan unable to play at home.

I think that Ray’s vision of a XV/Sevens type split is more likely than not.

Comment

Another one joins the white ball only club; Alex Hales won't play in the Championship.

https://twitter.com/AlexHales1/status/965900177188859904

Comment

Working...
                                                  X