Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Be still my beating heart - Crimbo with Auntie!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
    You are Chris Waddle AICMFP.
    Little pun around my Zlatan number and my matches playing with the maestro (albeit at 5 a side).

Comment

After the Marcos Rojo defensive masterclass watched the second episode of LoG. Utterly brilliant, especially the bingo caller and Geoff Tibbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post
        Stanley Baxter may or may not have been a fucking arsehole, but he was funny as fuck. Mr Walliams may be a good sort, but he is not funny as fuck. (Your experience depending on that book, and your age group may differ. And fucking ood it was too.)
        Uh? You might want to try another run at that...

Stanley Baxter was genuinely great; Walliams clearly isn't - that was my point.

I also know a couple of stories about the latter that would change one or two positive opinions. But I don't have as good a lawyer as he does.

Comment

My Sister in Law was a dancer in a pantomime that starred Stanley Baxter. She didn't like him at all.

She also said the biggest arsehole she worked with was Don Estelle, to which I replied* "No, Surely he was the smallest one"

*several days later when I'd thought of it.

Comment

So, depending on the measurement used, either Mrs Brown's Boys or QEII topped the UK charts:

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/201...ll-rory-brown/

Comment

Today I watched the BBC's Christmas with the Stars from 1972 - BBC4 showed it on Christmas night and I was interested because I was born in 1972 and like to see things from that year.

God it was a struggle, it was basically an extended version of the Two Ronnies, which was always a mixed bag at the best of times, with other BBC comedy big hitters of the time having their turn. The Dad's Army insert was passable, The Goodies leery, and Mike Yarwood and The Liver Birds (separately, not together) just plain unfunny. Throw in light entertainment staples Lulu and Cilla and it was completely 1972, but really did not age well.

I also watched the Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads special, but I always do, just for the Boxing Day / Carlisle line.

Comment

I had to struggle with some real dross at my future in-laws house over Xmas (not all BBC it has to be said). Variety vehicles for Paddy McGuinness, Jane McDonald and Andrew Flintoff (yes, really) were bad enough, plus the unbearable Robbie Savage on the Christmas Strictly.

The low point though was the 1982 'Chas & Dave's Christmas Knees-Up' which was bad enough listening to the two main protagonists (at full blast due to the in-laws hearing issues) but also included a 'comedy' set by the long forgotten Jimmy Cricket. The only saving grace was the complete removal of Jim Davidson's set which included (according to online sources) a skit involving his 'Chalky' character singing 'White Christmas'. Dear God...

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                  Today I watched the BBC's Christmas with the Stars from 1972 - BBC4 showed it on Christmas night and I was interested because I was born in 1972 and like to see things from that year.

God it was a struggle, it was basically an extended version of the Two Ronnies, which was always a mixed bag at the best of times, with other BBC comedy big hitters of the time having their turn. The Dad's Army insert was passable, The Goodies leery, and Mike Yarwood and The Liver Birds (separately, not together) just plain unfunny. Throw in light entertainment staples Lulu and Cilla and it was completely 1972, but really did not age well.
                  Saw this too. Yep, wasn't great.

Comment

I tried to work through it but the arid, hokey flavour of it meant that I gave up after 10 minutes. I couldn't even appreciate it as a televisual time-capsule concept, it was just bleh, and I'm usually a sucker for anything of a retrospective bent.

Comment

The low point though was the 1982 'Chas & Dave's Christmas Knees-Up'

It's a bit like 'Russ Abbott's Disco Hour' or 'Bobby Davro's Laughter Parade', the title enough should be cause enough for you to pack up and emigrate.

Comment

Working...
                      X