Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Be still my beating heart - Crimbo with Auntie!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Be still my beating heart - Crimbo with Auntie!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-42142130

French and Saunders 30 years this year? I thought they were around for a few years before - French was in Comic Strip in 1982, Saunders Young Ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
      French and Saunders 30 years this year? I thought they were around for a few years before - French was in Comic Strip in 1982, Saunders Young Ones.
      30 years since their BBC series started, though the article doesn't properly describe that.

Comment

Indeed - they were doing stuff together on (I think) The Tube back in 1982-83. Was never a massive fan, tbh.

Comment

3 x The League of Gentlemen is good enough for me.

Comment

TWO Mrs. Fucking Brown's Fucking Boys?

What the fucking fuck in the name of all fuck have we done to fucking end up with a fucking double dose of that shit? It's like being diagnosed with cancer then getting a letter in the post saying you've got ebola as well.

Tax-avoiding, stereotype-playing-up, humour vacuum cunting fucking shitting CUUUUUUUUUUUUNTS!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I recall being at my sister's house on Christmas Day a few years ago and having to sit through an entire evening of what might politely have been called ITV 'entertainment', a Downton Abbey Xmas special and an Alan Carr show - complete with David Walliams and generic boy-band guests - amongst the dispiriting gubbins on offer. If I had been a terrorist under interrogation and they'd used that teeth-grindingly one-dimensional crap as instruments of inquisition, I'd have ponied up every scintilla of information on the spot. ITV reasoning: everyone on Christmas Day will be drunk as a lord and will be unable to distinguish between genuine entertainment and shit. Let's chuck 'em shit, as bona-fide fun takes imagination, and imagination means work.

The heralding of Christmas TV schedules fills me with bulletproof indifference, save the job of painstakingly trawling through the Radio Times and seeking the genuine gems amid the mountain of paste jewels that will doubtless be on offer. I know I sound like a grudging old bastard, but the sight of David Walliams cavorting dopily around a TV studio in a silver spandex catsuit while an audience shrieked with pant-pissing laughter for no apparent cause made the questioning of the meaning of existence a much heavier job than it had any right to be.
              Last edited by ian.64; 29-11-2017, 10:39.

Comment

When was the last time BBC Xmas TV had any class - 1977-ish? ITV had Stanley Baxter, whom Walliams seems to be modelled on.

Comment

Originally posted by ian.64 View Post
                  I recall being at my sister's house on Christmas Day a few years ago and having to sit through an entire evening of what might politely have been called ITV 'entertainment', a Downton Abbey Xmas special and an Alan Carr show - complete with David Walliams and generic boy-band guests - amongst the dispiriting gubbins on offer. If I had been a terrorist under interrogation and they'd used that teeth-grindingly one-dimensional crap as instruments of inquisition, I'd have ponied up every scintilla of information on the spot. ITV reasoning: everyone on Christmas Day will be drunk as a lord and will be unable to distinguish between genuine entertainment and shit. Let's chuck 'em shit, as bona-fide fun takes imagination, and imagination means work.

The heralding of Christmas TV schedules fills me with bulletproof indifference, save the job of painstakingly trawling through the Radio Times and seeking the genuine gems amid the mountain of paste jewels that will doubtless be on offer. I know I sound like a grudging old bastard, but the sight of David Walliams cavorting dopily around a TV studio in a silver spandex catsuit while an audience shrieked with pant-pissing laughter for no apparent cause made the questioning of the meaning of existence a much heavier job than it had any right to be.
                  I missed you. X

Comment

What 3CR said.

Comment

I bet Jesus is glad he's dead when he sees shit like this served up.

Comment

It's like being crucified all over again.

Comment

I'd forgotten quite how unsettling The League of Gentlemen could be.

Comment

Another for 3CR's camp. Unsurprisingly.

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                            When was the last time BBC Xmas TV had any class - 1977-ish? ITV had Stanley Baxter, whom Walliams seems to be modelled on.
                            He f***ing wishes.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post
                              I'd forgotten quite how unsettling The League of Gentlemen could be
                              Loved the Series 1 repeats, saving the new stuff for Xmas teatime

Comment

I don't think it's a spoiler to say that I thought last night's was fucking superb.

Comment

I thought it was pretty crap, to be honest, but I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt, as first episodes of a show revival are usually crap.

Comment

Just as Pemberton and Shearsmith come up with real genius in "Inside No 9", they resurrect their previous old rubbish. (To be fair, it is probably my aversion to grotesquerie).

Comment

I'm with the positive response- of course they tease about who's there and gone, push some obvious buttons but it was funny and shocking, as always.

Comment

Reassuring to hear that Walliams is held in such contempt here. Mrs H asked me to pick up a book of his for a friend's child's birthday recently and was most put out when I refused on principle.

Comment

Watched the first of the new LoG last night just after Mahrez missed his pelanty kick and have to say it cheered me up no end (Royston that is, not Riyad's inevitable down the middle attempt).

Comment

Originally posted by nmrfox View Post
                                            pelanty
                                            You are Chris Waddle AICMFP.

Comment

Did anyone get tickets that went on sale today for the League of Gentlemen tour they're doing next year? Friends of mine were going to try for some and asked if I wanted to come too, but after umming and erring for a bit decided I didn't really care enough about LoG to get £40-odd (+ travel and expenses) worth of enjoyment out of it. There's bound to be thousands of die-hard fans who've been waiting a dozen years for these shows who'd make far better use of that ticket than me.

Like Bored, it seems, I love Inside Number 9 (and really enjoyed Psychoville before it) but never really 'got' The League of Gentlemen. It probably didn't help that I missed its original TV run, bar the Christmas special they did – which I swiftly learnt was the worst possible introduction to the show as it ramps up the grotesquerie and drops most of the humour, so it put me off them altogether for the longest time. Have learned to appreciate the show more in the intervening years, but still haven't actually watched very much of it at all.

Comment

I'm finding the three-episode run a small pleasure, too. On another tack, BBC4 are doing a ghost story night on Christmas Eve starting off with an MR James documentary fronted, incidentally, by Mark Gatiss, and finished off with a couple of tales read by Christopher Lee. That sounds satisfying considering a good old Victorian ghost story on the telly used to be a cosy and entertaining treat during the festive season. Nice to see it brought back for an evening - it also includes The Signalman, the macabre tale featuring Denholm Elliott which gave me the willies the first time I saw it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                                  Another for 3CR's camp. Unsurprisingly.

He f***ing wishes.
                                                  Stanley Baxter may or may not have been a fucking arsehole, but he was funny as fuck. Mr Walliams may be a good sort, but he is not funny as fuck. (Your experience depending on that book, and your age group may differ. And fucking ood it was too.)

Comment

Working...
                                                  X